1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

If you could change one thing about BG

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by AK_Rooster, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'd change the Baldur's Gate city map. That has got to be the most annoying navigation in gamedom. Either I'd take out that big wall dividing the city, or make sure there was *somewhere* on each map you could get through it. If they sold a Disc 5 in which this map was changed, how many of you would buy it? I know I would!!!

2. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] I would. It's annoying when you travel from one area on one side of the map, and arrive in the new one one the other side, on the side you don't want to be on :flaming:
    This happens to me even when i'm already on the correct side of the wall when i begin travelling to the new area too :flaming::flaming::flaming:

3. NaLora Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I woould allow you to export your entire party.

I would make it so that if you wait too long to go save Dynahier, you can kick Minsc out, go save her yourself, and come back and pick him up. (for his eternal gratitude) (I did this once, he ended up trying to kill Dynahier, so I was forced to kill him to keep her...)Nothing worse than to be on the bad side of a hamster toting berserker ranger.

Nalora

4. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] The SHROUD IN TOWNS, HATE IT!!!

5. faaip de oiad Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

one thing eh?

better dungeons. Firewine and ulcaster were lame...
    drulags(sp) tower was great.... it needs another one like that.

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Nooo! I hate dungeonsand mazes :)
    The shrouds in town are cool btw.

Of course there are some annoying things in the game, the game is from 1996 iirc and in that age the game developpers weren't that perfect already :)

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] That's Durlag's Tower and 1998, not 1996. Just FYI.

8. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] *Wonders what life would have been like if he had listen to his co-workers and bought BG back in 98', oh well I wasn't ready for it back then. But I am ready for it now! :p

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

lol :)

We dutch always say: The best ship-captains stand on the shore.

That means that people who didn't do something always should have done it better then the people who did it... :)

10. Me! Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] change 1:
    less paint on the cds so my disc drive didn't sound like a dying gnoll.
    change 2:
    after installing the expansion, not having to put the expansion disc in first every single time you starty up the game.
    change 3:
    I'd like it if there was a way to skip cutcenes.
    change 4:
    what kemanmaldea said, let me see how damaged my opponents are
    change 5:
    the pathfinding, of course.

[This message has been edited by Me! (edited October 29, 2001).]

11. Luan Guest

Aside from a few points mentioned about (layout of BG city, general health of opponents, more interaction with characters, pathfinding - particularly in closed spaces), I'd like to see the save game features improved, in particular get rid of the autosave, or at least edit so when you reload you don't have to go back to the previous area, load that then save again. And for someway to reduce increasing load times throughout.

12. yappie! Guest

I would make minsc and Edwin have a fight over Dynaheir. And NPC interaction as well - a la BGII

13. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Headbanger:
    This can be seen clearly at just about any soccer game :rolleyes:

Isn't it lovely to think that almost all the things mentioned in this thread actually were improved in BG2?

14. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i agree tottally with Me! i hate the noise my cd drive makes when the cd is in there and cut-scenes are very annoying when you've already seen all of them

15. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Then you have two options:

1. Get DVD and the DVD of BG1... you need only one disc then... And dvd's don't make much noise :)

2. Do a full install

16. sorvo Guest

The fact that you can only pick up about half of the npc's at level 1. I'd like to be able to get any of them at level 1 and advance them myself!:mad:

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Why? Level 1 characters in a level 5 party are useless, and NPC's just have their own good an bad things.... Khalid is Sword Fighter so why do you wanna change that? Take them as they are or don't take them in your party. Of course people already have experience when you get them in your party.. or do you think they stood there where you picked them up all the time?

18. Luan Guest

Not entirely sure if I'm on the same wavelength as sorvo, but I can see a point along the same lines. I'm one who likes to settle on a party relatively early, and unless a NPC is offering something quite different, or having a vacancy suddenly appear, I'll avoid making a change. Thus ruling out half the NPC's in the game. Unlike BGII where by the end of chapter 3 you can have any that you want. Although were you to pick up a level 1 character with a level 5 party they'd quickly catch up level wise.

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

A NPC also has somethimg on his own, that is already develloped before you met him. You can't expect to find totally non-developped characters on the road, for else they would already be dead. Another option is to start a multiplayer game. Then you have all characters from the very beginning and you can develop them as you want them to be. I also never change my party after I'm level 3 but when you are level 3 I say the NPC should have almost the same level as you are at. Else they wouldn't be NPC's anymore but youwould just play with more PC's.

20. Cog Primius Guest

i should change so magic res. doesnt stop heal

[This message has been edited by Cog Primius (edited November 07, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.