1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

If I ever did this to my mum...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jul 29, 2008.

1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Drew, sorry, I may be thinking of a different group. I'm terrible with names.

This is ridiculous, pointless, and easily offensive. I'm not too good with internet lingo, either, but does this count as trolling?

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    The point, NOG, was that the simple fact that parents don't automatically know how to handle various disorders doesn't have any bearing on whether or not you should spank your kids. EDIT: Actually, I take that back. This actually makes a fairly strong argument for not spanking them out of fear that you are punishing your child for a behaviour he cannot control.

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

If anything, it makes the symptoms worse (stress). While I seldom got spanked for my symptoms (coprolalia was an exception), I was routinely reprimanded (again very stressful) for other behaviours that weren't good. One such reprimand was a warning about developing tendonitis. Since I couldn't stop what I was reprimanded for, I get the occasional such problem...

I do not ask that my Tourettes excuse me from expectations of behaviour. Even someone with Coprolalia is still going to upset people that are sensitive about swearing. I've heard stories of people with Tourette Syndrome that were beaten up over an unconrtoled racial slur. Severe vocal tics will still disrupt places of quiet. Whether it's their fault or not, the disorder inconveniences others too. That's why I excusemyself from Sacrement meeting after the ordinance of the Sacrement is over so that I don't interfere with the others that want to hear the speakers...

Your objection to spanking could also apply to other forms of stressful dicipline. Opponents of spanking state that reprimands can be just as stressful as a spanking. This also carries risk of going overboard and crossing over to verbal and emotional abuse. It is harder to recognize and potentially more damaging. And without negatives associated with bad behaviour, there is no deterent to such problems. Your solution may work for you, but I don't see it as a universal utopia...

Finally, spanking should only be a last resort. No disability can be accepted as an excuse for violence, theft, destructive behaviour or gross disrespect.

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Which, for those wondering about my initial question, was kind of my point.

You shouldn't have to. While Tourettes doesn't grant you carte blanche to do anything you want without consequences, it does excuse you from those symptoms you cannot control. You shouldn't be asked to explain yourself. You shouldn't be reprimanded. You shouldn't be made to feel as if you are somehow a lesser person. It is true that you probably could play the "tourettes card" to say or do pretty much whatever you want (within limits) and avoid consequences, but you always deserve the benefit of the doubt. You've suffered enough, and I think you've earned the right to say ****, ****, or even **** ****ing *** licking **** sucking **** piece of **** **** **** any time you want. :)

You shouldn't have to do that, either, in my opinion.

It can and it does, which is why reprimands must always be restricted to actions. In reprimanding your child for misbehavior, you should never attack him personally.

Absolutely, but I'm not sure I agree with you about where and when it is necessary or helpful.

5. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Hmm, rather round about way of achieving it, and I'm still not really sure where it fits in the discussion, but ok.

Ok, who was talking about personal attacks? I think this is a pretty clear line between verbal and emotional discipline and verbal and emotional abuse. Every form of discipline I have ever come across was directed at actions (X was done to you because you did Y). That doesn't help the case of someone suffering from Tourettes, though, as uncontrollable actions are the problem.

6. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well my father used to prefer the physical punishment while my mother used the psychological one and both worked in a way. I'd say the psychological kind is more effective since the physical one usually only invokes fear and bitterness the psychological invokes remorse and regret. I think the latter is a better feeling in terms of learning what is right and wrong. At least that is how it was with me, all children are different of course.

Spanking is illegal in this country but is still practiced here and there since it's basically impossible to get caught unless you spank your child in a public space which in itself would be quite improper and wrong.

Emotional isolation is a very good way to make a child know he's done wrong, and I doubt there are many children who can bear the emotional isolation from their parents very long, especially if they have siblings. Of course this requires you to ignore all sorts of tantrums and takes a lot of self-discpiline from the parent but will probably work a lot better than spanking. Spanking is just seems like taking the easy way in parenting. Of course I don't have kids which kind of makes it difficult for me to judge what works and what does not. I can only use myself as a reference and that might be a somewhat flawed perspective to use.

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

It's more of a consideration to those around me. There is a lobby beside the chapel, and the microphone at the pulpit so that those in other areas of the building can hear the speakers. It's as much for me as well, as there are times I just can't sit that long...

Recent research suggests that there is limited control, but it is really difficult. The person has to learn to recognize the start of the problematic symptom and learn how to counter the symptom. I read about it in University, but it sounded really complex. That said, I have learned to catch myself when a bad word comes out, so people will think I am diabetic instead of a potty mouth (Fudge and Sugar instead of their censorable counterparts).

Further, precautions can and should be taken as a consideration to those around you. Something that helps me (and my family) deal with it is the fact that I can get away from others when they are trying to sleep or something...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.