1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Idiots and their ways

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Z-Layrex, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

8people: I was just using the whole hippie thing as an example, I was trying to think of an examply why someone would find folk music offensive. I like folk and hippies, and tie dyed shirts don't bother me. :p

Z: I saw the "did you grab my butt" one. I Must've missed the other. He did say he was on a bender. Must have been a bad one. :eek:

S Goddess: Thanks! You've just provided an example of how to disagree in an intelligent and thoughtful way!

VonGriffin: I disagree but refuse to kick your a**! :D (Joking, in case anyone misses the joke)

2. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Time for a little education.

First on the topics of my "bender". Z, you didn't even understand what I was trying to say in my first topic, so it angers me that you'd even mention it. [side note: neither did Ex, so don't feel too bad.] My other topic was JUST AS STUPID AS SOME OF THE CRAP TOLERATED ON THESE BOARDS [What do I look like: A game for everyone! Spare Ribs: the meaning of life?, etc.] and when I made the "Did you grab my butt" thread I hoped it would be taken for what it was: silliness. Of course, it wasn't and Ex decided to lock it.

Next, on topic:

You made a generalization regarding race relations and rap. Also, what does "using the N-word" have to do with "smackin my 'ho up."? NOTHING.

3. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Nutrimat: I still like rap. :p

Language This also goes with attitude, but I'll specify a bit more. Swearing, everyone swears. It can't be helped, my dad swears, my mom swears, everyone I know has sworn at least once around me. Some grow out of it, some don't, so stick with it to MAKE it profane enough for some ears (mine). Again, the way the talk, "Yo wazzup, biatch? Wanna go dancin' t'night, 'aight?" : Expressing. Generalizing - Most rappers are black, they use "niggaz" to seperate them from other races.

4. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

That's good Slim, work that hostility out!

You are interpreting my words the way you want to and seeing things that are not there. I don't have anything else to add, what I have already said is all I have to say on the subject.

P.S. if you think the topics are "crap" DON"T POST HERE! No one is telling you that you HAVE to read these posts, or respond to them. You criticize other people's posts as stupid, then post stupid topics and polls of your own, to make fun of these people. Why don't you just stay out of the Whatnots forum if you are going to be so hostile?

[ October 08, 2002, 19:03: Message edited by: Nutrimat ]

5. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Wrong, Nutrimat.

My stating that some of the topics in Whatnots are crap is in response to the statement that I had 2 threads locked in close proximity. I think that this is a great thread. It brings up issues which can be discussed.

6. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Why, then, is it so hard to do instead of keep saying that?

Nutrimat - I am not defending the music I love most. I am just observing that a lot of people say stuff about it that just isn't true. It really disturbs me that all these people hate rap because they've listened to Ludacris, or P. Diddy, or Ja Rule over the radio/television once or twice. I dislike people who generalize all these rappers - Ja Rule, Ludacris, P. Diddy - all rap as a whole. What's more is that I would go deeper into underground but it's hard when I can't find any songs downloading for "non-mainstream".

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I did not say I hate rap. It just doesn't fit my ear. I do occassionally listen to rap if it happens to be on air on the radio station I listen all the time.

I must say that I respect some rap artists for their way with words, but I still fing their way of acting ridiculous.

Ara
    (Not helping, I think)

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I must say that rap annoys me for reasons stated above, and the fact that I just think it sounds bloody horrible. I was listening to Eminem with a friends diskman and it gave me a headache.

And I can't see whats wrong with guessing what people here look like, its interesting to see what the freaks and geeks that hang around SP look like.

9. silent_elf Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

although i find rap absolutly rubbish, i dont mind the fact that its peoples preference, but all this allright bruv attitude just gets right in my boxer shorts, i dont know why they do it, maybe there trying to be hard or something but they have completetly failed.

10. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Rap is just people talking really fast fast with beets and annoying sound effects! And their names are so stupid too! They're queer! NO MORE RAP!!! :mad:

11. Elementus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Ok, everyone has an opinion, but lets break down some common stuff:

Rap: Slang, Drum Machine/synth beats, slang, baggy clothing. Came from Def Poets

Metal/Thrash/Death Metal: Black cothing, commonly gothic (where I live anyways) likes jewlery (has some in common with rap). This music is a harder variation of normal rock with little to no blues influence most of the time.

Classic Rock: My favorite, mixed, is actually a mix of different kinds of "rock".

Punk: Dyed hair (green is common) is aeasy to mix other music with, simple, 2-3 strings used on a regular basis. A siple form of anger rock.

Grunge: 70's metal + 80's Punk = Grunge. Dirty - Destroyed clothing, unkept.

Rock and Roll: Powercord lover's, heavy blue's influence. No general dress style (maybe a shirt with AC/DC on it)

Early Metal/Early Blues Rock: Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin were the two main bands of this type. Its like blues with Gibson Guitars and power cords. Black Leather and crosses for the Darker style, stripes and black for Zeppelin.

I know its not 100% accurate but I typed it out quickly, I'm a dedicated musician and know a lot about music. Rap came from a type of poetry, and I'm ok with it considering on how it was such an art, but they twisted it. I never liked rap, I love rock, punk, and that stuff. I dont like death metal because it just seems like a lot of screaming and such. I love music as a form of art and its wonderful to study. I think rap is simplistic and show's no real talent instrumental wise. I know they can speak quickly but may people can, how many people can play a 12 string gutar with sych speed that it seems supernatural (Van Halen - Eruption). My favorite music is Meat Loaf, he has awsome songs that people can relate too.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You've got it all wrong! Punk is not anger rock! Usualy it has meaning, there are just a few realy crap songs that go along the lines of 'I'm in a band so I'm gonna live forever' stuff like that but if you knew anything about this particular genre then you could not possibly hold that opinion.
    Metal is not what you have described and thats all I feel like saying on the matter presently.

13. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

As Elementus said, rap derived from a form of poetry. The band "The Last Poets" (formed in 1969, on the birthday of Malcolm X) are considered the first "rap" band. They were three poets (IIRC from a poetry workshop in Harlem) and a drummer. Most of the music was political.

Edit:
    I fixed the year. The started performing together in 1968, but did not actually form the group until 1969.

[ October 11, 2002, 16:58: Message edited by: Jack Funk ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.