1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Idiots and their ways

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Z-Layrex, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

2. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I personally don't like rap or dress, speak like that, but seriously, let them be. I am sure that there is enough that anyone could nitpick about anyone of us. Why try to put up more barriers between people than you already have. From bad politics and strong anti-religious beliefs, we just seem to be getting more aggressive with every topic posted.

Why not try to understand differences, respect them, and learn from them.
    As a community comprised of people all over the world, we should really try to embrace diversity.

3. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Some times I rhyme slow
    Sometimes I rhyme quick
    I was 1 2 5 and St. Nick
    Chillin with this chick
    Named Tandalaya
    Was a hot girl
    And errybody wanted to slay her
    But she wasn't fond of players
    Only wanted ballers
    To sprawl her
    Six figures and camcorders
    So what you tryin to tell me dear
    I got Bentley
    BenZ
    And Mr. Belvedere
    And I just wanna blow your mind
    I'm talkin literally blow your mind
    My repetiore
    Is menage a trois
    And exotic cars
    Chillin with the hottest stars
    And there aint no stop to this
    I CANT HELP IT IM AN OPTIMIST
    And I'm gonna make your head
    Bop to this
    And in the end we're
    Gonna rock to this
    Now say my name

-P. Diddy f. The Neptunes "Diddy"

I love rap. Yo yo yo wassup.

4. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Z, I have a problem with you referring to it as "music".
    Other than that I completely agree with you.

Put a 'C' in front of it!

5. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Lol, ok. How about crapsoundingidiotmanufacturingcrimestartinggangwarfaresupportinggunlovingdrivlle. :lol:

6. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31

It occurs to me that my comment above is kind of brief and there are clearly some people here who are going to disagree with me. I do listen to some obscure music and I know it ticks me off when people dismissing something I like by saying "oh that's stupid". So here's some clarification:

I know people who listen to this. I've been forced to listen to it many times and I find "rap" offensive, boring, and stupid. Here's why:

The clothes Big baggy pants, gold chains, untied shoes. I saw a guy on the bus the other day who was wearing pants that were so baggy, the crotch was around his knees (I'm not exagerrating either). How can you possibly dress like this and think you look cool? You look like you are wearing the clothes of your brother who is 3 feet taller than you. And didn't gold chains go out of style in the 80s with Mr. T?

The slang Hey, da playaz, using da instead of the and Z instead of S at the end of words, makes you sound like an illiterate moron. And I find calling women "*****es" or "Ho's" highly offensive. I try to treat women (and everyone else) with the utmost respect. Black people who do this are especially bad, as they will get very angry with you if you use the N word, but then rap about "smackin my 'ho up". This is hypocritical, plain and simple.

The attitude Or is it "Da 'tude"? Rap musicians and thier audiences like to project this tough "hard" attitude which I find ridiculous to the extreme. Also some rappers like to talk about "bustin' caps on" (shooting) people, especially cops, which I find VERY offensive. The aggressive, confrontational attitude makes you look like a child unable to control his/her emotions. If you WERE tough, you wouldn't need to boast about it constantly.

The "Beat" I refuse to call it music. There are no musicians. Most rap beats are simplistic and repetitive, and can be played on a five dollar keyboard. I've never heard any real music in a rap song. There is no singing, just chanting in rythym to the beat. I guess this is part of the appeal, as any idiot can jump up, grab a mic and start the horrible rhyming. Unlike real music which takes talent and effort.

Just getting my opinion off my chest. If you are into this, more power to you. Everyone has a right to listen to, and act, how they please. But rappers look, sound, and act, to me like freakin' morons.

7. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Amen Nutrimat. These people don't know how stupid they look and should learn to grow up.

[ October 05, 2002, 21:51: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

8. Turandil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Because people are different my friend.
    I don't like that kind a music either, just let them be as they are.

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Excuse me - some people like rap here

Then again I am more tolerant of music than most people - I can't STAND Daphne and Celeste though, or the S club hamsters/juniors. Classical is okay but does seem a bit dragged to me but I generally am okay with music

I may like rap but don't go round wearing baggy stuff - it is hideous though I actually haven't seen that much around my county though I do like jewelry and my grandad does wear a large gold chain - but not the sort that hangs down with a large medalion or whatever :rolleyes:

My family does have taste you know ;)

10. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Just think of it as free entertainment. I am quite amused by it.

Ocassionally I let out a "yo" myself :p .

11. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] And I occasionally let out a "don't make so many freaking ignorant generalizations about race relations regarding to rap, Nutrimat."

12. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31

Hey Slim, if you are going to disagree with something I've said, say what and why, don't just attack me with dumb-*** comments about my "ignorance".

I posted an opinion (stated as such) that I feel strongly about, and listed the reasons why I felt this way. Disagree? Think I'm wrong? Tell me why. I might respond with more comments arguing against you, or might concede you have a point.
    This is a forum for discussion, not a name calling board.

[Edit] asteriked a swear word the censor did not catch [End edit]

[ October 07, 2002, 19:03: Message edited by: Nutrimat ]

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    To comment on the clothes... IIRC the too-large clothes thing comes from the fact that people couldn't afford growing out of their clothes so they wore too-large clothes that would fit someday.

But it still dooesan't change my opinion that they look like they had a week's worth of **** in their pants.

I find the whole thing ridiculous and I am not afraid to say so, but I don't go around telling these people to not to be like they are. To each their own and all that.

Ara
    (The monday postage commencing)

14. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31

I am not making any sort of comments about race relations or generalizations about black people.

My comment about hypocrites was based on an assumption: Every black person (at least here in the US) will get very upset if you call them the N-word (and rightfully so, it is a derisive demeaning word that should be eredicated). Although I don't use the word, whether black people are around or not, I feel pretty safe making this assumption.

Not every rapper refers to women as 'hos, and not every rapper is black (although most of them seem to be, at least in the US), but I have heard many hard-core, or "gangsta" rappers routinely referring to "cop killas" and "hos" in their raps, and my take on it was if you have a problem with people calling you a derogatory name, and you refer to members of the opposite sex by another derogatory name you are a hypocrite. I do not feel I am making "ignorant generalizations" and if you think I am, please explain why.

To 8people and anyone else who likes rap: I am not attacking you personally, I am not saying you personally fit all the characteristics that I've described (the baggy clothes, slang, etc), just because you listen to rap or "let out an occasional yo".

I find some of the characteristics of rappers (and some of thier fans) ridiculous (the clothes, the slang), and I find some of it offensive (the derogatory terms, exhorting violence, and the confrontational attitude).
    I'm not on an anti-rap crusade here. I don't automatically look down on people just because they listen to something I don't like. I do listen to a very wide range of music, classical, folk, pop, rock, metal, emo, punk, experimental, etc, etc. I have friends that listen to rap and they've played their (non gangster) rap for me. I've tried to listen to it, just based on the "music" (I don't know what else to call it), and ignoring the slang, clothes, etc. I don't like it, and can't get into it. Again, I want to emphasize that my opinion of rap is just that. I don't think I deserve to be attacked for having a strong opinion on something that you like.

If someone posted an opinion that, say, folk musicians were all stoned hippies who wear tie dyed shirts, which they found ridiculous, and the music was too sparse and they found it lame, or something like that, then I would speak up if I felt they made a comment that did not accurately depict the musicians or their fans, but I wouldn't slander them for having an opinion different than mine, or for ripping on something I enjoyed.

The fact that everyone has different opinions is what makes the world go 'round.

15. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You go Nutrimat. I feel the same way.

I especially hate it when white guys use the nefarious "N" word. If black people want to throw it around, then so be it, it targets them so they should be able to use it as they want to.

And yes, wearing your clothes so loosely that they would quite literally fall off if you didn't hold them up is ridiculous.

16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] What's wrong with hippies in tye-dye shirts?

17. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

[​IMG]
    He does this all the time. :rolleyes: He's on a roll lately, two topics closed in two days.. :toofar:

18. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Relay I don't mean to disagree with people to be difficult - but I'm a bit of a hippy, so is my mother :)

19. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ok, haven't read this topic in a while and would've replied before - busy.

Baggy Clothes I love rap, but I really can't understand why they wear baggy clothes. I find that it's just the fashion and will pass, just like tye-dye shirts went out with most people. I find it quite amusing that the girls like teasing the guys by "pantsing" them to make them think twice about not wearing a belt. Also, around my school, there are always baggy pants, but not so baggy that they'll slip off while they are break dancing a recess. My brother too, wears baggy pants all the time, that weighs a TONNE (Unlucky me, I do some of his laundry sometimes :( ). He hates rap, he hates mainstream, and he's a goth.

Slang This too, pisses me off a bit. I think it's how people want to make a statement - whether it was a good or bad one. I can't read any of my friends' names, much less than when they talk to me. I know that since I'm there, I've make a statement about disliking it, and my friends - they are the BOMB! - make an effort to write most of their words out for me in notes. Back to topic: I guess it can't be helped, they've grown up speaking like that, it's an involuntary thought for them now.

Attitude It's a way a lot of rappers grew up. They've been around when the world was a racist place. It's been very tough for them, when police pick them out of the crowd and drop them in prison for no particular reason sometimes. They're expressing the urban parts of town, when all the other bullies thought themselves better and decide to do a round of bullet-flying. It's bad, it's sad, and it's depressing, but we can't help their past no more than we can help anyone else's past. I do try, thought, to steer clear of songs that want to talk about shootings often, I just can't bear listening to such depressing music.

Beat It's simple, it's easy to make - $5 piano, because that's all they could afford. Remember, they were very poor when rap started coming around, so they didn't have many things to use to make "music". It was an easy rhythm to remember, because they couldn't write down their songs. So they improvised, and it was brought to attention because people liked it. It's also great for dances - and over here we :love: LOVE :love: dancing.

Nutrimat, I like your reasons. I respect them, and it's nice to have people giving REASONS to "dislike" the music, instead of just, "Rap is all about money, girls, guns and cars, so it sucks". For me, I may not find many reasons to like it, but it just feels "right".

[ October 07, 2002, 22:55: Message edited by: S Goddess ]

20. vonGriffin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I hate die-hard pacifists :mad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.