1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Icewind Gate - Delta version

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Beren, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

One solution is to make a new version of Lady Yuth, based upon the female customer who is usually in the Mart. This solution has worked in practice.
    Another solution is to try and figure out where the fear is coming from. I copied the Lonk the Sane, Perth the Adept, Lady Yuth and Ribald CRE files into a spreadsheet. Ribald is the only one not suffering from fear. I have compared the differences and similarities in the four files, especially the parts marked as Unknown. I will try altering key unknown sections and see if that makes any difference.
    To enact any changes to a CRE file you may need to shut down the IWD2 program. I usually alter the animation to check that the changes have in fact occurred.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  2. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

You may need to shut down the IWD2 program in order to enact any changes to a CRE file. I figure that the entire Override folder is loaded when the program starts but this is only a guess.
    Another solution to Lady Yuth having a panic attack: at offset 26C h the original string "5F 5F 53 48 h" was replaced by "0A 05 3C 00 h". The latter string comes from Ribald.cre, Ribald Barterman never showed any panic. What each of the four individual hex numbers mean I don't know.

Offsets 26C thru 26F: changing only one offset at a time showed that offset 26D was the one that controlled the panic. Offset 26D: 5F was replaced by 05, or in decimal terms 95 was replaced by 5, this stopped the panic of Lady Yuth. Setting offset 26D to a value of 5 also worked to stop the panic of Perth the Adept and Lonk the Sane.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  3. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

"And the other is translating the classes/kits into proper 3.5 rules."
    If Darion meant translating the BG2 kits into IWD2 format, that may not be straightforward. Some features like the Undead Hunter's immunity to level drain are easy enough. I am working on a ring for that now.
    IWD2 opcode notes are not too well documented, the headings use BG2 names...
    From what I can see, +3 damage and +3 to hit v undead will be impossible to program unless there is a spell/effect someplace.

4. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yeah, I know from play-testing BWS (Big Wold Setup) How troublesome kits can be. Even for BG2. And I simply concluded that they had to be a pain to get working in IWG.

I must admit, that I never completed IWD2 (chronic restarter syndrome) therefore I cannot tell the what kind of +/+Weapons are possible.
    But I assume the bigger guns with more enchantments are not easy to create.
    In BG2 there are some really exotic items- stat and enchantment wise. Probably the only game in the series with this many item.

And I don't remember IWD2 having such an assortment of those.

5. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

If you want to mod, look at what native IWD2 items can actually do. I will have to set the Ignore Override preference in Near Infinity, then go through the list of items, see if any item properties are useful for simulating kit abilities. Most overrides are IWG2 items, not native IWD2. Yesterday I checked through the IWD2 override items, did not see too much.
    IWD2 has plenty of magical items, Item Browser in DaleKeeper shows that, but there's not the same variety in exotic powers as in BG2.
    Substitutes may be possible, a flat +3 Cavalier bonus to damage may be replaced by a 2d6 bane against the evil.
    Item descriptions are found in Dialog.tlk, they may not have any connection to reality. what is happening. The descriptions are not derived from entries in the item files.
    My latest upload of IWG2Patches.zip has the text of all the BG2 kit descriptions, see the post I made above: Sat, 20th Aug '11, 7:14am.

BG2 opcode names are used in the IESDP notes on the opcodes used by IWD2 items. This seems to be part of a pattern, IWD2 modding is very much neglected in favor of BG2. Frequently the two sets of names are different so I have to search through the list of effects just to find it. I obtained a full list of the opcode names actually employed by IWD2, it came from the Near Infinity source file EffectFactory.java, line 447: "case Factory.ID_ICEWIND2:". I used Word and Excel to create a numbered list from the unnumbered text in the source file.

Substitutes may be possible, a flat +3 Cavalier bonus to damage may be replaced by a 2d6 bane against the evil. One approach:
    Spell: Give Ability [171]
    1: Irrelevant
    2: Irrelevant
    Description:
    Gives the spell specified by the resource key to the targeted creature(s).
    It seems that EFFUH1C.SPL is the way to go.

The actual +# damage v Evil would be handled by this:
    #402 (0x192) Add Effects List
    1: Irrelevant
    2: Type
    Description:
    The Type parameter sets how the effect functions, known values are:

I don't know if this would work or not. The kits would be unofficial.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  6. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If things get to complicated, you can still forgo, the whole Kit's deal, and leave them out for the time being.

Multi-classing alone should be able to cater to most play-styles.

7. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

I will see how it works out. Currently I am trying to get Crom Faeyr to work as it should, so far no luck.
    Certain parts of the kits can be created, may end up with partial kits instead.

With the help of opcode 402 I can create a good replica of Crom Faeyr. I am getting the hang of it slowly. I created three new versions (crushing, piercing and slashing) of EffUhc1.spl. Each does around 1,000 points of damage, more than enough to kill any Troll or Golem.

It seems that I can only give one major melee power to "Crom Faeyr". This late in the game Trolls are no big deal but Golems are still painful to face, so I will make it slay them with mega-damage.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  8. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

Raelis Shai dialog to audience did not trigger until party the spoke to her.
    Jaheira, Baron Ployer quest: party paid off the three mages, too tough otherwise and they were well-meaning to top it off.
    Chromatic Orb can sometimes paralyze a Mage before he can cast Improved Invisibility, guaranteeing his demise.
    Cleaned MaeVar's Guild easily enough now party is in the Druid Grove.
    One lot of Trolls in Druid Grove are immune to fire damage coming from weapons?! This is unlike all the other Trolls that the party has fought. Fortunately the party Sorceror knows Agannazar's Scorcher, that proved enough to keep them dead.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Question. I always wanted to try this mod, but I am noob when it comes to needing to manipulate the game itself. I can follow instruction though. Is this mod something a newbie/noob can actually install and play or shoudl I wait another few years before it's refined?

10. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

It is playable, especially with the aid of the patches I have created. Delta version is relatively smooth and playable.
    Currently the area map is on one scale while the area notes and the party location on that map are on another scale altogether. I suspect that if you are a noob you will have trouble with the map. It really helps if you played the original BG2, that way you know where everything is.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Cool! Thanks for the vote fo confidence. I have played BG2 a zillion times. The Map is not an issuethten.

12. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

You will need to adjust combat tactics because Icewind Gate 2 PCs use the Icewind Dale 2 spell lists, which is not always such a blessing.

For anyone who has not played BG2 much: map notes may be in the wrong place but they have the same position relative to each other. If you don't know where something is, you could estimate the position by looking at the position of the various map notes on the map. Look where the area note of the unknown place is, relative to the area notes of the places you know about.

13. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

I could not get the Harper quest to kick off, even when the party took the body to the Docks, Rylock never showed up. So I had to insert this code into the script _AR0300.bcs:
    IF
    PartyHasItem("_MISC5F") // Renfeld's Body
    GlobalTimerNotExpired("RenfeldDeath","GLOBAL")
    !GlobalGT("_DEADRylock","GLOBAL",0)
    !Exists("rylock")
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    CreateCreature("_RYLOCK","rylock",[1436.2947],13)
    END

Problem is now fixed. Initial damage problem, you enter the Docks District and you read
    "Rylock- Damage Taken (#)"
    Is this due to Xzar/Lyros? Anyway, this leads to Jaheira turning hostile too! This is no small hassle as she leaves the party and starts attacking the nearest PC! I was able to fix this with an alteration to Harper.bcs:
    "IF
    Or(3)
    HPPercentLT(Myself,100)
    AttackedBy([GOODCUTOFF],DEFAULT)
    Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
    Global("AttackFirstHarpers","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN"

The above code means that if one of the first three conditions are met, along with the Global("AttackFirstHarpers","GLOBAL",0), Rylock will turn hostile. If he is attacked the party must have done it! Even though the party is nowhere near him.

This problem went away when the code was changed to:

"IF
    Or(2)
    AttackedBy([GOODCUTOFF],DEFAULT)
    Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
    Global("AttackFirstHarpers","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN"

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  14. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

HarpClr.bcs problem, the global is actually set to a value of 2, when it should be 0. IWG2 Game may intend that Jaheira not meet the three Harpers, they never show up… so I removed the reference to JaheiraHarperPlot and replaced it with LyrosJob. (For whatever reason Xzar is frequently called "Lyros".)

IF
    GlobalGT("JaheiraHarperPlot","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    DestroySelf()
    END

IF
    GlobalGT("LyrosJob","GLOBAL",2)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    DestroySelf()
    END

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey,

Are all of these script changes making becoming part of the patch?

16. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

Yes, the patch was updated yesterday to include all the latest fixes.

Next item on the agenda, Nalia is abducted but remains in the party and unselectable.

17. Darion

Media:
    A bit confused, but when does Nalia get kidnapped?

18. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

After her father's funeral, and the resulting confrontation with Isoea Roenall. A bit of time elapses between the funeral and the so-called "arrest".

19. Darion

Media:
    Ah, yes, thank you. The arrest!
    I was thinking in lines of Graveyard-kidnapping...

Cheers!

20. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nice. I've got other things on the gamers' to-do list, but I will give this a try once I get a chance.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.