1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I thought this game had a ton of replayability? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I thought this game was so much fun, you could do it again and again and not get sick of it.

A few months ago, I completed the entire series for the first time (from Candlekeep to defeating Melissan). I beat the game with a party, so I've been trying something different: a solo adventure.

Now, I've always been a chronic restarter, but I just can not get back into this game. What do you guys do in situatiuons like this?

[ August 13, 2005, 14:53: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Switch back to BGI!!! ;)

The best way to spice up BGII is probably a mod. (Why do you think there are so many in the first place? :hahaerr: ) Another way is to play as a different class/kit to explore the differing strategies and the other strongholds, but that's probably not enough of a difference to keep most interested.

3. Klorox

I've been playing both BGI and BGII. I'm thinking of trying out Tutu, but I'm not the most technically-inclined, and I'm worried that I might screw something up!

4. Felinoid

So what if you screw up? Just make backups of anything (characters, portraits, soundsets, savegames) that you want to keep and just go for it! If something does happen, the worst it could be is you have to reinstall both games, and that's not a big deal.

5. Klorox

I just spent the last hour downloading, and redownloading BGTutu. I follow the instructions perfectly on the pocket plane site, but my game crashes when I try to play.

ArrgH! Maybe I just need a break from the game!

6. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Well, I might get burned for heresy for saying that but; Maybe you've just played the game too much and it won't bring anything to you? Maybe you ought to let it go and keep good memory instead of forcing you to play and thus replacing the good moments by frustration.

7. Felinoid

@Klorox:
    Don't forget TutuFix!

8. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    And make sure you aren't using v5. Use v4 or the v6 beta.

9. Klorox

Ofelix: maybe you're right.

Felinoid: I've tried tutufix as well. Here's my problem now. I figured maybe my downloads were screwed up, so I uninstalled and deleted all of the tutu stuff, then I tried downloading the mod and fixpack again. Unfortunately, now I get messages instantly that the download is complete, when that's impossible for somebody on dial-up.

10. Felinoid

@Klorox:
    You've probably got a copy in your Temporary Internet Files. Just wipe 'em out and you can re-download normally. IIRC:

Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Temporary Internet Files -> Delete Files

11. Klorox

Ugh. I'm giving up. I wasn't able to start any game, so now I'm reinstalling BGII/TOB. What a pain in the butt.

12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Klorox, give the BG series a break, and start something completely different, like Ultima, Fallout, or Arcanum. As Ofelix says, even a hardcore fan can get tired of the same over and over again.

13. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

BG II isnt realy replayable unless you are in it for the fights (which I am not). The quests and storyline are basicly the same all the time, which becomes boring when you know every line in the game...

14. angryguy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If you haven't played any mods at all, then go grab things like

Unfinished Business
    Quest pack
    G3 tweaks
    Ashes of Embers
    Banter Packs
    D0 Tweak
    Kelsey

...And the game suddenly becomes brilliant again. I'm halfway through a game now, but the Quest V2 has me wanting to restart...

EDIT: DO NOT forget dungeon be gone.

15. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Bah...if you want the game to be fun, play it solo with a class you've never played before.

That's right...don't be scared to play that solo Cleric/Thief you've been thinking about...or that uber Mage/Thief for that matter...

As long as you have never used that class before in SOLO, you'll be alright. Give it a couple of hours till you have a decent level, and watch the replayability soar!

16. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Klorox: if I can get Tutu to work on my PC then anyone can! :o
    You should take a break from the game if it's growing stale, or try something entirely different (different NPCs, different classes, an all spellcasters party...) my advice, get away from your screen and read a good book ("Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu!") :D have you read the Silmarillion? Read it again, you might get some ideas for a new character.

@Faraaz: once you start soloing it's hard to stop! :coffee:

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Klorox, stop stressing and go and play something else! There's no need to keep obsessing about playing the same game over and over and over again. I have finished this game once and will probably never finish it again because I don't think I could stand to do everything all over again just so I could try a new class or a different stronghold.

18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You know, that's why I respect Harbs a lot. He's honest and genuine.

Good lad :thumb: .

And I agree! Try something else dood! ;)
    Like watching cricket whilst getting pissed. Believe!!

19. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Replayability is different for everbody, I suppose. I've played the game a *lot*. What keeps me going back to it is the idea of getting a party through the game without anyone dying. I've never made it, or even come that close, really, since BG2 is such a long game. Eventually I make a mistake, or run into some really bad luck - but I keep trying ;)

20. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I played SoA when it first came out then went on to other games. Found SP when searching for help for another game. This board got me interested in SoA again. So I got ToB and have played through several more times. But I go to other games, activities.

As everyone says take a break. BGII isn't the whole world, just part of it. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.