1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I love this RPG

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Klimax, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Klimax Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't know why everybody hate that game. In my short experience in virtual-RPG, pool of radiance is in my top five. I like the system when it's similar to a dungeon & dragons of table. (turn by turn and round by round) That's why my favorite games are this one and Temple of elemental evil. I don't like the speed of icewind dale, but Baldur's Gate II have an amazing story line so I can place it in my favorite too.

If you have any question about that game, email me or post here and it will be a pleasure for me to answer you the best I can.

2. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Aye Klimax, I too enjoyed this game very much.
    The turn based combat system is nice, I had hoped ToEE would be the game to bring the turn based system the respect it deserves. Oh well, dare to dream I guess.

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Next time I find myself lacking something to do, I'll diig my copy up. That is, as soon as I figure out how the hell does the game work....

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  5. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Should be sold for nothing...
    Although, I remember I liked it alittle the first time I played it. Maybe if I get drunk enough...

6. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

IMO the reason most people don't like this game and the slower turn based combat system, is because it requires patience and thought.

Most gamers these days just want super-magic weapons they can use to slash thier way through battle after battle, without having to stop and think about things like strategy and character placment. Don't like it? Well then, don't play it.

7. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Actually my favorites part was when it wipped my harddrive. Oh well, it needed a reformat anyways :p

8. Klimax Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] It's good to see your answer. I'm sure that the people who don't like this system don't like the real D & D game with real dice too. Taste are in nature and it's good for everyone. :)

I hope for the future that every RPG will have both system in selection. I like the suspense while waiting for the AI roll, it's some kind of gambling. ;) One good thing added to the system of ToEE: The AI roll of each AI character are played simultaneously to accellerate the combat and the party's roll are like pool of radiance. Some kind of chess game.

For 10$ and 100 hour of playing, it's not expensive for a pass time.

9. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

My favourite part of the game is the intro, it is actually quite good, too bad the rest of the game is a bunch of crap :)

@Klimax: I do like real D&D, but I'd rather shoot myself in the hip than play this game again :D

10. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm sorry, but this game was a big pile of crap. It fried MANY people's hard drives. I love turn based combat. In fact, if ToEE had a half-way decent plot, I'd really enjoy it, because they did a great job implementing 3E rules. However, POR did not. They didn't have all of the base character classes. The BASE 11 classes! Skills implementation was pathetic. And the gameplay was absolutely ridiculous. One battle between your starting party and a couple of orcs would take 10 minutes because everything moved to damn slowly! I could tell my fighter to run up and hit an Orc, then go make a cup of coffee while I waited for him to do it! And before you say it, it wasn't my PC, it was the game engine.
    Sorry, I'm ranting now. It just blows my mind to hear people with good things to say about this game. It was just SOOOOOO bad!
    To each their own tho. :)

Edit: Oh, and I love PnP D&D. So that's not the issue.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Looks like this is turning into your average POR:2 bashing session.

The reason I didn't like the combat system is because it didn't give you long enough to actually do much. You have to fly through the clicking the cast a spell, and usually don't make it before the round is over.

Anything that requires a patch to be uninstalled deserves to have the patch used to its fullest extent.

12. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I dont play PnP anymore. But I did play D&D, Eon and Mutant for 8 years or so.
    (Dont know if they are called that in English)

I guess your theory didn´t fall through :)

13. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Eon is Swedish only, Duke, so it doesn't have a name in English AFAIK. The same is with Neo-Tech...

14. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Okies, here goes...

on the "pile of crap side"

FACTS:

The game was in fact a buggy release, that would randomly fry a small number of people's harddrives,

It is mind-bogglingly glacially paced (patience schmatience, the walk speed of the characters is slug-like) and they can't move more than a certain distance apart before the game freezes everything and tells you to get everyone back together,

The interface is so tiny, that clicking the right spell level, or feat, or whatever becomes a wrist spraining feat in itself,

Miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, miss, orc criticals you for 27 damage...,

creative interpretation of 3rd ed rules: monsters get attacks of opportunity galor on you, while they themselves enjoy the freedom of waltzing through your front line fighters to one-shot-kill your mages in the back,

Prescripted fights ad-nauseum ensure that melee monsters spawn on your wizards/priests,

repeat fights with the same identical monsters, over and over again! For hours on end, skeletons, zombies, and orcs (sometimes they call them orogs, but they're really orcs - they just take longer to kill), with the occasional wraith or naga thrown in.

developers couldn't think of a way to make the game interesting with normal balanced encounters early on, so they compensate by supplying your first or second level characters with obscenely powerful weapons to deal with the stupidly written encounters (right off I found a +3 club that does double damage on every swing...),

nearly no one, and no reason to sell stuff to, or buy stuff from,

the story is just sort of... there... no reason to get interested in it.

Ok - positives (heh):

once you get through the first few quests, it becomes a sort of comfortable habit to play, it doesn't take a lot of effort or thought, it just kills time...

the turn based system is pretty good, with the AoE spells being particularly well done, there are however glaring problems with certain aspects of it - I mean BAD really BAD,

the graphics are decent and sort of different from most other games, and you'll see some monsters that don't show up in the Bioware releases. I particularly liked the nagas, aracats and golems,

Mercifully I can't think of anything else to say on this game, other that I nearly finished it when HotU came out at which point I dropped it for a MUCH more interesting game.

15. Klimax Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] You forgot the Drows later in the game and the Dragon in the final confontation.

Thanks for responding, it's good to see that you have reaction: bad or good. :) Your arguments are good and civilize. My theory on real D&D seem to be bad but I think we had some pleasure express ourselves.

If I want to be ironic I could say: What are you making in that section of the forum. :) :) :) :) :) ;)

See you later in the other section. Thumbs up guys.

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ah, there be one good point on it you missed - The Box Art! The best part of the game, opening the really groovy box with the delusion that you have a good game :D :p

17. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I never had a box! I bought it used for $2.76!

I only had a jewel case. :(

(incidently, I've been told that I spent $2.76 too much... but I actually did enjoy it after I got out of "the brown dungeon.")

18. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I thought this was an amazingly brilliant game.

Right up to the point where I started playing it. After that it went downhill big time.

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Worst thing I ever had on my HD, even worse then a virus.

20. RangerFox Gems: 4/31

I don't know why everyone hates it either.
    But then I tend to enjoy unpopular games, like Unlimited Saga which seems to be the current game of choice for console gamers to hate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.