1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I love this game

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Dorion Blackstar, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I finaly broke down and bought the game.I have to say I think it is fantastic(it helps that it is set in one of my favorite worlds)

The graphics are great and the gameplay is awesome.I love turn based combat.The third edition rules are giving me a bit of a headache.I am an old school first edition player,heck I even have an expert ruleset around here somewhere.

Now I can see why people would be upset by the bugs,coming into it so late may have helped me avoid the worst of them,but please if you dont have it yet I highly recommend it.

With luck they will improve on this and give us Against the Giants and maybe even the Slaver Series.All great classic adventures in Greyhawk.

With the lack of posts in this forum it seems many people have given up the game but I say give it a chance if you have not already.

2. konny666 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

definitely, it's worth giving a chance. i didn't buy it myself, but my brother did when it came out, he got halfway through, uninstalled it and gave it to me.

but he didn't need to do that - i just saw it for $12.99 at my local store! only 4 months old and already in the bargain bin.

anyways, i'm holding out for a second patch. then i'll jump in.

btw there is a fan patch of some sort at www.co8.org. if you install both the first official patch, and the fan patch, you might have a pretty bug-free gaming experience. the key is to not have any NPCs in your party (or so I'm told).

3. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

Yes I had heard that too about the npcs so I made my own party of five as well.So far its been bug free but I just cleared the moathouse so we will see.

Wow though a short trip too the artari boards sure shows that they have more than a few unhappy customers here though.I just hope they did not take to long to fix this stuff and kill off this line of games.

4. Crono1000 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I LOVE ToEE. I love the turn based battles, and it makes for more than a few truly dynamic battles. It'll be like Salvatore himself wrote some of the battlescenes.

Here's a hint: Try the chocolate chip cookies of the gods... mmmmm...

It's true that the game is super buggy, but so was KOTOR and that was a great game. I've played lots with NPC's and the only one problem I had was fixed with the co8 patch. Definitly enjoy the game, and get Elmo early on to make the adventure a little bit easier, then kick him to the curb later if you want to do it alone again. but it's great having a wavering drunkard on your team that kicks butt of course.

5. Mr. Clean Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] It's a Good game. I played through it 2½ times, which is rare for me. I am the type that usually gets bored 10 hours into a game. I am a big fan of turn-based combat, and the crafting was a nice touch. If you get into it, ToEE will entertain.

I played with a party of five and three NPCs the first time, and soloed the second game with a Cleric of Pelor. The game flows more quickly when played solo. However, you get to experiment with more char classes with a full party.

Definitely get the patches from Atari and the Co8. On my Windows XP machine, I had very few problems after both patches were loaded.

I truly enjoyed the D&D 3.5 rules! I like the changes made from 2nd Edition to 3rd to 3.5.

I hope more Computer Game Companies experiment with turn-based RPGs. I would LOVE to see ToEE ² !! :D :D

6. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Wow, people who enjoyed ToEE! I also enjoyed the game and had very little problem with bugs. 12.99?!!!? That's a bloody steal! It's still 29.99 (new) in EB in South Central Pennsylvania. It's a good game because it feels so old school and the graphics kill the infinity engine of BG and IWD. I want more, but i agree that it could have used a fair amount of polishing. Try again Troika! Win over the fickle by taking your time. I heard the game was pretty rushed.

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I like the module.

It's the interface that needs *a lot* of work. And Atari. Atari needs a lot of work. In really dangerous countries...

8. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I liked it alot as well and never encountered any bugs so far, at least not game killing.

I heard rumors that Atari released a 1 month old build, hence all the bugs and that they told Troika to make it teen rated. That meant they had to remove every kid, etc quite fast before the deadline which, as you can see, never happened fully.

9. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I don't see why people don't like this game. I love it. I mean, I got the patch, and so far, there have been no problems for me. But, I just like turn-based combat too much, I guess. Heheh. Although, having those attacks of opportunities are a bonus, both good and bad, I suppose. But yeah, I'd say, get the patch or patches, whichever, and it should be just fine.

10. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Because it is a simple dungeon crwal without a proper story? It's boring.

11. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

There's nothing wrong with simplicity, Fabius. Sometimes, I just want to have fun, not wrack my brain over some puzzle that didn't need to be in the game in the first place. But, meh, to each his...or her own.

12. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

I just don't know why no one thinks this game has a story.

In my game I came to hommelet to report a murder.Then was sent to take care of some bandits.Uncovered a larger plot that connected the bandits to the Temple.I alaso discovered that the plans of three evil gods seem to revolve around the temple.

Then when I get to the temple I discover difereant factions fighting for power within the Temple itself.

Sure seems to be enough of a story here.

13. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

I didn't say the game has no story. It is just to boring for my taste, at least once you come to the temple. One big dungeon. Wow! So many people to kill. Hey, I just had that in Diablo or Dungeon Siege. I could not wait to play another game like that!
    Even the great battle-mode could not help me over this.

14. Daemonic Lazoth Gems: 1/31

Well coming from mostly Real time and Turn based strategy games like Warcraft 3 and such. I find ToEE a great change and that has really got me into the whole area of D&D. Now all I need to do is get some friends into to it so I can do the pnp version. About the bugs the most annoing thing I found was the amount of loot they were taking but then I put both the offical patch and the co8 mod and now I have no troubles at all. So I give a :thumb: for ToEE.

15. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Is the game really that good. I'm thinking of purchasing, but right now I still play ID2, BG2, NWN, JK3 & KOTOR (heck even Dungeon Siege). Might be worth 25 euros though. I'll see. Also like the turnbased idea.

16. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31

I think it's worth the money.The turn based combat is one of the best features in my opion.

It is not as big as the Baldurs Gate games but still is worth playing.I like the way game plays.

Be sure to install the patch before you play though.The game sure had a lot of bugs.I have only had a few promblems so far mostly just a crash to desktop so save often just in case.

With luck they will improve on this and more Greyhawk modules.I hope if they do make more they make them a little longer though.

17. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Bugs generally don't matter to me. I'll manage and buy it eventually. Like you said, turnbased combat is good, also because you can take your time. In BG2, I pause it all the time. I don't expect it (at all) to be better then BG2. The screens seemed better, and the demo was all right. I am, however, not familiar with the Greyhawk setting. Would that pose a problem?

18. Daemonic Lazoth Gems: 1/31

When I first played ToEE I had no idea what the world of Greyhawk was like. It doesn't matter that much as you learn most of what you need in the intro battle of Emidy Meadows and the sealing of the Temple. Whatever else you need you find out later in the game. So I would say no it doesnt matter that much.

19. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

I spent a good deal of time playing ToEE the months following it's release and would say it's only worth buying if it's for sale at say $15 or so. However, I strongly recommend that you do not buy the game unless at a bargain prize. You do not want to send a signal to Atari that their disgusting handling of ToEE is acceptable.

IMO ToEE is still a broken game. Extreme slowdowns and actual lock-ups in the latter parts of the game (nodes) are unacceptable problems.

As witnessed in this thread some people can still enjoy ToEE at least for a little while. Be aware though that only one patch has been released and the game is still severely bug ridden.

20. david w Gems: 19/31

Well, I binned the game. Yep, only the second PC game I've thrown away in years (the other was Pool Of Radiance). Bugs, sluggish gameplay, uninteresting, tedious and downright drab. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone.

If you *really* want to go and buy it, now is probably a good time. It cost £34.99 in the UK when it first came out and now it's down to £9.99 over the space of a few months.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.