1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I just rolled the best roll ever.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Errol, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Proper rolls, where almost everything is 18, is very easy to do if you can learn some patience- you just have to be willing to spend a couple of days rolling for a character (or one day depending on how long you stick to it) or sometimes you just get lucky, it's all about how much you value your character, and how willing you are to ensure that they have their full potential.

To me, if I decide to truly role-play, to accept anything less is cheating (because you are doing something else, which allthough allowed, is taking "the easy way out" - in my opinion this is all cheating, if it is too easy, I always reload). It is not truly role-playing either, as the hero should always have some sort of edge, but that may just be my own quest for perfection.

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Good god man, are you serious? A couple of DAYS?? :eek: Please tell us you're joking.

In my previous post, I facetiously suggested using a combination of Ctrl-8 and SK, but I would rather do that than roll for a couple of hours, let alone days!

And it isn't cheating if it makes the game harder. Nor does having an "edge" equate to being perfect.

C'mon, really - you're kidding, right?

3. Manus Gems: 13/31

:grin: :grin: :grin:

No, a few hours a day for 2 or 3 days is average for a party of characters, sometimes longer.

You see, the extra stats, as you pointed out, don't really give you that much of an edge, and I meant my own perfection (I really am not happy with any of my characters, as they don't have all stats equal to 18, which is average, all 25 is what they should be, to my mind at least. :D

So, the extra stats are just to look at and say -yes my character is indeed quite bad-ass, how very nice (like imposing looking armour etc.) I don't think I could play a game with low stats, I would feel... dirty. While to me it is a lot harder to roll that character than it is to accept a lower roll, since by the end of the game everyone is uber-strong anyway.

I also don't like to miss out an any aspect of the game (I do every single side-quest, read every single book -in full- etc., and to me this includes the extra choices you might get if you had a few stats higher (intelligence, wisdom, and charisma are the common ones for this). And I don't usually have the interest to re-play a game one I've finished, so I try to get as much in as possible.

I thought everyone spent at least a couple of hours rolling. Seriously.

4. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    As a side note, I patiently rolled on for 2 or so hours before I got those stats.
    In the course of the hundred hours or so I've spent rolling stats for a character(yes, I love BG2 that much), I've also noticed a few things:
    *The best rolls only happen on the more versatile characters, except the mages. (multi classes, etc.)
    *Magic users usually have higher rolls on average.

On the course of 5 hours re-rolling for uber stats for an f/m/t vs a thief or paladdin, the f/m/t will usually end up with more godly rolls.

PS
    A screenshot is impossible since the only believable screenshot would be on the character creation screen itself, and that PC has already swept through TOB a gaming lifetime ago.
    Anyways I'm not expecting to convince anyone. That was *my* best roll, no matter what anyone says. :D

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Manus:
    Many SP members have previously stated that they will only roll a few times (say, 10 or less) and take the best one. Similarily, others have said they wil roll for 1 or 2 hours. You're the first person I've heard express rolling time in terms of days; doesn't mean there aren't others, though - I'd be interested to find out. Anyway, as I've always maintained (even if it doesn't always come across :D ), whatever you want to do to make the game enjoyable for you is fine by me (and I'm sure you're relieved to have my approval :rolleyes: )

Me, I don't have the patience for more than 5-10 minutes per character. Plus, I usually get a pretty good roll early on (85+). As an aside, I find that Rangers are very easy to get good rolls; Paladins are the toughest only because of the high min requirements on stats that I would rather reduce to beef up the others (but I don't mean min/max'ing here).

6. Manus Gems: 13/31

Actually I don't mind rolling for characters, as I've had a lot of practice. In wizardry for instance (not 8, they changed everything in 8) you *HAVE* to roll for hours, if not days, to even get a bad character in the class you want, otherwise you just can't choose it. I could have had nightmares about rolling a faerie ninja.

Since I decided to wait for the patch before I play my mint-condition copy of Temple of Elemental Evil (plus dog-eared paperback manual) I spent a good week rolling those, though most of the characters were formed over two days, I spent a few hours on another day trying to get a decent roll, then they all hit me at once.

They're not that flash, 90, 94, 92, 92, 99. And the total time I spent is probaly only 6 or 7 hours. A lot of that time is spent walking around and cursing trying to relieve my boredom ;)

I got to 1000 rolls quite a few times before I took a break, and only the 99 has a high number (about 600 or so) the rest are all between 50 to 200, (one might be 400, but I don't think so) so pretty good run of things all up. :D I have spent much longer in the past.

The easiest game I have ever rolled for is Baldurs Gate. Letting you move numbers around like that, giving you bonusues and minimum scores, letting you choose your class first! All minor pleasentries, but a true relief after a couple of hours. In ToEE I dropped a lot of 85-90 point rolls due to no 18's, but this makes the game even more fun as the rolls then mean something.

I love the satisfaction of having uber-stats and seeing all my hard work pay off when I can memorize every spell in the game, talk my way out of anything, steal anything not nailed down (and the nails from the ones that are) and get like a hundred bonus attacks and spells. Ok this is exagerating but I have to tell myself this to keep going :)

Nah, it is actually fun for me to make characters, but I can see why some would not find this to be so.

Edit: Oh yeah, as far as D&D is concerned, Paladins are definately one of the hardest charcters to roll well. I have found that wizards are the easiest, just pump int and throw the rest in wisdom and constitution, with anything left going into the fighter stats, but it doesn't matter if these are a little low, so you can get away with a couple of 14's or 16's or even *gasp* a 10. This is why I like BGII so much as well, as I can forget about charisma entirely for my protaganist with that lovely ring of human influence.

Bards and thieves are also pretty easy (I guess that should be rougues now, but not in BGII :) ) My lowest rolls usually go to the bard or thief, unfair, I know, but someone has to give.

[ October 29, 2003, 16:59: Message edited by: Manus ]

7. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Just rolled a 98 for a Human Fighter(!) Not bad considering the minimal stats for him (The average roll would be 66 if i got my math right.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.