1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I beat PST today. Here's my reaction! (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Frog, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

SPOILERS, second and last warning!

OMFG this game is the best RPG there is for the PC. I mean DAMN this game blew my mind, body, and soul away. I played it non-stop it seems. Each character had massive depth and personality. The story sucked me in and never spat me out. The atmosphere transported me into its world. Fun was had by all.

I never thought any RPG was going to beat BG, my first and foremost CRPG experience, but I think PST has done it!

Only one question remains.

"What can change the nature of a man?"

I love the ending too!

TNO hops up after victory against his own mortality, grabs ax, enters the fray that is the Blood War.

Good way to go!

My only disappointments were my own. The fact that I waited sooo long to play this game. Partly due to the fact that it isn't very accessable.

I now have a whole new view and admiration for Planes. They need too use the setting again! Just better marketing next time eh?

edit:

I lied, I just had a couple remaining questions.

The Yellow Sphere. Because I have crapy Intelligence and Wisdom I'm unable to unlock its secrets, but I did find out its the dead sensory stone of the first incarnation (which is the good incarnation). My question is, how much info does it reveal about TNO. For instance does it reveal his NAME?

My second question is with the opening cinema. Now that I beat the game I should be able to understand it more. But somethings in it I still don't know. Is it memories of the first incarnation or is it mixed between a string of them?

Stone pillar,(Dustmen Monument) The girl,(Annah? Deinarron?) guy drowning,(Dakkon?) Skull shelves,(Lothar's place?), Generic Fiends, etc...

[ July 27, 2002, 23:05: Message edited by: Frog ]

2. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Well done in completing it, it truly is an amazing game.
    To answer your questions -
    The yellow sphere tells TNO his name but you never actually learn it. see this topic for a discusion on his identity
    The opening cinema is a mix of the various incarnations (i think) and the drowning guy is Xaerith (spelling?) the blind archer (one of the zombies in the mortuary). With the rest of the questions i can't help as i've misplaced my Ps:T discs :(

3. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

And again there was much rejoicing.

Regret can change the nature of a man. (It was told in the last part of the game somewhere. Nameless One is truly changed in that last place, which is called the fortress of regrets. Fitting, no?)

4. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

There is no indication anywhere that the drowning man is Xachariah.

5. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

Xachariah Didn't drawn! He died in the fortress of regrets, and ther isn't any water there! (Not that I remember at least).

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] No you are absolutely correct SleepleSS, Xachariah didn't drawn he drowned :p
    Just because you didn't see any water doesn't mean that there isn't any in the fortress of regrnets. If you watch the intro Xachariah is drowning, ok maybe sinking in some blue quick-sand like substance.

Platter - Read this topic and tell me that

7. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

I just reloaded my save and checked out the yellow sphere. Damn you get 2000000 exp points. Also I managed to make TTO merge with me and the ending was a lot better. You get to revive all your party members and have a last word with them.

I also figured that girl in the opening scene was just an example of those that died in your stead and become shades everytime you died and lose your memory. (Are something like that)

I think the real answer to the question:
    "What can change the nature of a man" is belief, but regret is what changed the first incarnations nature. One example of the former. Only reason is it came up in the discussion with TTO when I was trying to get him to merge with me.

I think the random fiends have something to do with your involvment in the Blood War. Not sure.

And I thought the drowning guy has something to do with Dakkon's tale.

8. Platter

Im sorry, what does that topic have to do with Xachariah being the drowning man?
    That drowning man could be anybody from any one of Nameless One's thousands of lives. There is not one shred of a clue as to who it is.

[ July 29, 2002, 00:30: Message edited by: Platter ]

9. channing Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

To me, it looks kind of like Morte when he was alive. Something about the expression, and the voice that would go with it. There's also the creepy dream-like bit about his head being the last you see of him before he drowns carrying over to his mimir state.

We never really knew how Morte died in the first place, do we?

Anyway, there's no hard evidence either way, unless there's some hidden dialogue path I never found (very possible, considering how these things go in PS:T.) I just don't think it's Xachariah. He's not drawn the way you draw a blind man.

10. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

I doubt its Morte. Only reason is because the first time TNO and Morte came in contact was during The Practical Incarnations life. He's the one that pulled him off the Pillar of Skulls. But then again, wasn't Morte doomed to the Pillar of Skulls for lying to TNO causing one of his deaths in the first place? Ahh I don't know!

[ July 29, 2002, 04:26: Message edited by: Frog ]

11. channing Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It is strongly implied that the sin that put Morte on the Pillar of Skulls in the first place had to do with betraying The Nameless One in a much earlier incarnation. Morte either doesn't remember exactly what the circumstances were (possible) or is lying when he says he doesn't remember (somewhat more likely).

12. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

A lot of the characters keep many secrets. It can be a challenge exacting raw information from them sometimes.

Morte: Lies half the time. :o

Fall-From-Grace: You never know what she has written up in that diary of hers. :confused:

Ignus: Hard to carry on a conversation with(Charisma 3) and when you do get words out of him, its either THE FLAMES! or BURRRRRRN! :(

Dakkon: A little more open, but still, that whole *know* thing can be an obstacle. :eek:

Annah: Probably the only one frank with you. Just don't piss her off. :mad:

13. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] So we still have no prove that the drowning man is that Xach, uh that archer have we?

That other topic said notjhing af it either... Still, I love the idea of blue quicksand :)

[ August 21, 2002, 20:43: Message edited by: SleepleSS ]

14. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

If you had done 1 of several things before you went to the fortress of regrets, you find out that *Belief* can change the nature of a man. If you called yourself "Adahn" enough times, an adahn is in the smoldering corpse when you come back from curst. You can believe him into doing things for you, (i.e. items and experience) if you gave nordom a pep talk, it helps sometimes, If you caused the trees to grow with mourns-for trees, it comes up. The *True* answer is Belief.

15. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Slith - That is a very good argument. Although of course, along with NO's name, you can never actually find out the answer to "what can change the nature of a man". You can merely speculate because the actual answer to either is not in the game, only in our minds and our thoughts.
    Of course if belief is the *true* answer then that does add an extra reason why you can't be a priest/cleric in Ps:T.

16. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] EVERYTHING can change the nature of a man! Face it, things you see things you do things you hear, it can change your visions on things, and when your visions change, your actions and thoughts will change with them. So it has changed your nature.

and believing is a part of everything that's why you thought it sounde like the right answer.

17. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Belief is the right answer. As long as you believe in anything(In this case changing the nature of a man) it will happen. The first Incarnation believed in his regret, and it changed him. It's more a defined answer than just everything.

18. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

All of the choices that TNO has to tell TTO are correct, and all are valid. Almost any action will change the nature of a man. There is no right or wrong answer here. Belief and regret are certainly the major ones, but can anyone honestly say that love cannot change the nature of a man?

19. Platter

^ TNO can only give TTO the answer of belief...

20. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

What? In my game, I always had at least five choices, probably more.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.