1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hurricane Rita - Please Not Again

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Spellbound, Sep 20, 2005.

1. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

President declares state of emergency.

My thoughts are with everyone in the path of this monster. I hope it gets downgraded before it makes landfall, and that if it does, it's a sparsely populated and already-evacuated area.

Good luck for you and your family, Chandos.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Best of luck Chandos.

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I'm thinking good thoughts for you and yours, Chandos.

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll add my best wishes as well.

5. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Good luck Chandos! I am sure that you and yours will be ok as it seems you have everything well planned out.

6. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Keep your head down, buddy. Blessings on you and your family.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sounds scary. In the news today, they are saying that Rita is more powerful than Katrina. What a nightmare.

I hope we don't get any hurricanes down here any time soon.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Again thanks everyone.

It's becoming a man-made disaster. There are thousands of peolpe (1.8 million est) that are stuck between Houston, Austin, Dallas, etc. They have been out there for 12-14 hours - no fuel, no hot food, no restrooms, in 100 degree heat - many with their families, their kids. Now the mayor - who is the one who told them to be there - is calling it a "deathtrap" in the making. These people are now at risk of being stuck on the freeways as the storm arrives. They won't have a chance if that happens. And now they have no resources to even get back.

I may have chosen to stay, and face a terrible storm, but I'm glad I did not listen to our government officials in charge of this situation. I had a feeling they had no idea what they were doing....

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh, what a nightmare, to be stuck on the motorway with absolutely no way of getting anywhere! Sounds like a scene out of Deep Impact.

It's weird to thing that the weather is hot, as down here I always associated wind and rain with cold weather.

10. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I just heard on CNN that they're positioning fuel trucks along the highways now -- since there are many that have run out of gas.

Also, Rita has been downgraded to a strong Cat 4 -- thank god for that.

11. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well, it's good that Rita has been downgraded, but at Category 4 is still going to be able to cause a lot of damage.

Those poor sods on the roads are in serious trouble. Still, it's good to see that the fuel trucks have been brought in - although it remains to be seen how effective they'll be (let's hope so). Arguably, a staggered evacuation might have been a better option. With the hurricane not expected to make landfall for some time to come, at least there is time to possibly get people moving again before Rita hits.

Good luck, folks, and I hope anyone you know in the area (and you too, Chandos) makes it through unscathed.

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The Fuel trucks are a wise thing. One person out of gass in the wrong lane can really slow things down hardcore...

13. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

apparently disaster planning in this country is exactly that...

trust "gov. goodhair" to come to the rescue...

14. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Unfortunately, in Texas (especially near the coast) rain just equals more nasty humidity this time of year. I'm sure the air is like soup in H-town right now...

Lots of my students and colleagues have family along the coast and in Houston that have come to where I live to escape the hurricane. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone riding it out.

Governer Goodhair... *snicker snicker*

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    :lol:

Well, I've prepared the best I can and I'm headed out. See all of you on the other side of the storm. :)

16. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Levees just broke in NO. All the repairs have disintegrated and new ruptures have opened up. Water's rising very fast. :sigh:

17. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, looks like they dodged a bullet on this one, and aside from relatively minor flooding in NO, Port Arthur, Galveston, etc, the biggest issue is getting everyone back into Houston that evacuated.

Hopefully, the trials of evacuation won't cause everyone to brush it off the next time a potentially devastating storm is being tracked through the region...

18. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I think you have a little prophet in you Bion.

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, I'm back and after all that the storm missed us by moving just to the East (which is a good thing). There was some rough wind and a little rain, but not much else to report here. Power went on and off for a few hours and has been on since yesterday morning. The mess in my yard was typical of what I've seen here in other parts of our area. I've already started working on it...I included a few pictures.

http://groups.msn.com/SorcerersPlaceMemberPhotos/chandosthered.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1313

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.