1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hunting

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Oct 31, 2005.

1. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

umm, maybe you missed this part?

please read that again, the most important source of conservation funding.

Oh, about the boar , i wasn't hunting him i just stumbled upon him as he was romancing a sow and was mighty peeved when she ran off after catching my scent. I didn't even know he was there until he exploded out of the thickets and sent my flying about 10' through the air. I probably looked like a jr high football player getting hit by an nfl linebacker! . Seriously , i have never been hit that hard by anything.

I choose to hunt on public game land and pay all the fees and permits even though i have access to private & native american land where i would not have to pay any fees. I also volunteer to be on any hunts to help put down wounded &/or diseased animals. You may not know it but we have a very bad disease going around the deer and related species called chronic wasting disease(CWD). It is far kinder to put them down than allow them to slowly wither away.
    Also, game meat is just so much more healthy for you. The percentage of fat is very ,very low and the flavor is exquisite. I don't know if it is the same where you live but in the state where i reside it is not legal to sell game meat only farm raised , which kind of defeats the purpose as these animals are feed the same as regular livestock and dont have the same low fat content or taste of game meat.
    no , you did not disappoint me as to your personal beliefs and opipionns. We just are on very different sides of this issue(which is many related issues really).
    @ tal , thanks for the pm. don't know how i missed that. :o

2. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

martaug, umm, in fact I skipped the site there. I figured it would probably not be worth reading. Opened it, saw some proud fellow in a hunter's gear, loyal dog at his side... then scrolled down a bit to find something like: "Hunting is good for body and soul"... and suspected what was to come would be somewhat biased. Closed the page after that.
    I know, not particularly open-minded of me, but a more subtle site would not have driven me off so quickly.

I will not start linking to sites reporting about the less sunny facettes of hunting in order to balance Hacken's site out though.
    On the one hand I dont want to dig through that grizzly material, and also one cant base one's opinion on hunting on what the situation in the US is like. Which, btw, is not what some want to make believe. Funny how those hunters prefer titels to their clubs like 'Conservation of this and that'. It's all in a name, yes? ;)
    No. For those interested in the machinations behind the scenes of funds raised by hunters & anglers to conserve nature... Facts and Myths

Quite the different picture, overall.

On the other hand I havent got an interest in this game of links brought up to refute the opposite side, to and fro, back and forth. It will then quickly become nit-picking. I said what, from my perspective, is to be said about hunting.
    I will admit that many of you guys (and gals) probably do some good here and there for mother nature when laying aside your guns, or bows... or traps - but there is a price to it.

I am outta here. :wave:

3. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Using tree stands - more 'waiting' around than actual 'hunting'

Paved paths for the disabled - not exactly the wild outdoors is it?

Disabled people using pistols - sounds like cheating to me

Bright Orange hunting suits - not exactly blending in with nature

Men only hunting lodges

Using devices to scare out deer

I know that each area has its own rules and regulations, but I was not too impressed with hunting outside of Pittsburgh.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You're actually required by law to wear the bright orange suits. It's a safety issue. Most animals are color blind, so it's not like you need camoflauge, and by wearing bright orange it's less likely that some other hunter will mistake you for an animal and try and shoot you.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I liked your last point, Dendri -- I can totally understand disliking hunting, but to paint every hunter with the same brush (they're all selfish, savage, unenlightened idiots) seems to me to be a knee jerk reaction that does not have sufficient understanding or fairness. Your last point proved that you are not painting with that brush, and that's cool.

For the record, I don't like blood, I dislike watching anything die, and thus I am not a hunter. But I don't think that that means everyone else should live my way -- I respect the fact that they have other interests than I do.

6. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

More interesting news from the hunters side.

This one from CNN, so nobody need stop reading before they're done with the article. ;)

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Yes, please don't generalize. The four hunters that are allowed to hunt on my dad's property are not selfish, savage, nor are they unenlightened. In fact, they care very much for animals, and will not shoot a deer unless they have a killing shot. And after killing the deer, they do not waste it.

And, our land is overpopulated with deer... some of them need to go.

However, I am absolutely against poaching. Just because people think they have the priveledge to hunt doesn't mean that they do. In fact, in Massachusetts, if you are caught poaching, the deer is taken away, your truck (and everything in it) is taken and resold. The best part is, the game warden doesn't even need a conviction, he just needs a valid report from the landowner. And the reason that the poachers can't do anything to combat the punishment is because hunting is a privledge, not a right.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.