1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Human Noble Origin – Something just doesn’t add up….

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Munchkin Blender, May 24, 2010.

1. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    Was this in Redcliffe before or after taking out those nasty walking corpses? I'll definitely have to pay closer attention and try any and all conversation tactics just to see what I can get to happen :D

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I think it was right after meeting him, something along the line that the Warden was a beautiful lady. I was playing a Dalish Elf and I felt like hitting him over the head with a crowbar. :p

3. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I'll confirm that. Teagan does flirt with female Wardens.
    I don't think the race/origin matters - happened with at least three of my chars (Dwarf, Dalish, Pup, iirc)

After first meeting him, the beautiful lady line (crowbar optional) :p and I think some more replies when you persuade him to tell you more about him (CD: ask about his family, I think). It's more noticeable when the Warden plays along/flirts back.

4. Caradhras

Media:
    What can I say, when I try playing a female warden I end up going for the femme fatale stereotype. :shake:

5. CelticDream

Media:
    You're so baaaaaaaad Cara... no wonder why I like you and get along with you so well! :D As per your signature, I guess that means I need to stock up on some sunblock - luckily I don't burn easily! hehe

I guess I must play females in a semi-similar way since I seem to frustrate the hell out of everyone, leaving 3 of my party members always seemingly panting after my PC. :shake: I'm a baaaaaad bad girl!

Caradhras likes this.
  6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I went ahead and replayed Ostagar and copied down what Ser Jory said regarding the tournament.

“A month ago I won a tournament that the Tyren of Highever held in Duncan’s honor.”

7. Caradhras

Media:
    Was it before or after Arl Howe's men stormed the castle? :D

More seriously, do you know how long it took Duncan (and Pup) to go from Highever to Ostagar?

It may have taken them that long... Or maybe Duncan had been present in Highever longer than we thought and only came to talk business with the Teyrn after the tournament (maybe even a few days after it had taken place).

Since it was in Duncan's honour it's fair to assume Bryce Cousland was there but since at the very start of the Human Origin the Teyrn introduces Duncan to Pup it means that it was the first time Pup met the Grey Warden. Hence in all probablilty Pup wasn't present at the tournament or he would have met Duncan there.

In the end it only proves that Duncan had probably remained longer in Highever than we first thought... That would make sense of course since Alistair says that he had a home in Highever (or something to that effect, I don't have the exact phrasing in mind) -which of course brings us to the point that if Duncan had a home there it seems unlikely that he wouldn't have met Pup before (if only socially) except if we assume that the Teyrn and the Teyrna didn't want Pup to meet Duncan because they would be concerned about their younger child being recruted by the Grey Wardens.

8. CelticDream

Media:
    The only thing that concerns me is timing. Ser Jory says that he was at the tournament a month prior, but, depending on how far into a conversation you get with Dagna (if you go to chat with her before leaving for the Circle and haven't left Orzammar yet - but after accepting the quest), you hear that it takes approximately 2.5 months to get there and back (in the least), and that distance doesn't look too incredibly far on the map. Keeping that in mind, picture where Highever is - it's along the coastline near where Warden's Keep is (if memory serves) and Ostagar is far to the south. I would think it would take quite a long time, 2-3 months at least, going by Dagna's calculations of time just to get to the Circle & back, just to get from Highever to Ostagar. Not to mention, Jory is already there when you arrive. If it was held only a month prior, how did everyone get to Ostagar so fast?

9. Caradhras

Media:
    Duncan probably knows a shortcut. :D

I wouldn't put too much stock on distances and the map. IMO the map is just there to look pretty and since there is no measure of time in game we can't have any real idea of distances (not to mention the fact that actual distances may vary a lot depending on roads or natural obstacles like mountains and forests).

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

After you meet Duncan and while you are running about the castle a tournament could be taking place. Ser Jory could have left with your brother and his men. So, the human noble would have been busy doing other things and not at the tournament. Ser Jory would already be there because he left earlier, with your broth. These of course are all of my guesses. It would also flow with the human story since you are told to leave your father, Duncan and Howe alone. Not only that but walking around a castle, talking to your mother, Sir Gilmore, getting your hound, talking to your mother friend, talking to the lady in waiting, your mom’s friend son, talking to the guards in the treasury, going to the chantry to pray, etc… All of this takes time. Just enough for a tournament that was held in Duncan’s honor.

11. Caradhras

Media:
    The main problem is that while you're doing all this, Bryce Cousland, Duncan and Arl Howe are just standing there. ;)

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

They could be standing there listening to the tournament.

13. Caradhras

Media:
    You mean right there in the Great Hall of Highever Castle? I don't remember seeing any knights or horses? ;)

14. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I do remember seeing a knight, Ser Gilmore.

15. Caradhras

Media:
    Right, but nothing says that he took part in the tournament and since he is quite busy in the castle while Pup is doing those little errands it would seem unlikely (not impossible but still very much unlikely).

16. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

In your prior post all you said "You mean right there in the Great Hall of Highever Castle? I don't remember seeing any knights or horses?"

And I said "I do remember seeing a knight, Ser Gilmore."

I never said he took part in the tournament. I was just answering your question about a knigh being in the Highever castle.

LMAO.....

17. Caradhras

Media:
    That's a great help. :lol:

18. CelticDream

Media:
    He's got you there Cara! :lol:

19. Caradhras

Media:
    Technically no, he doesn't, because Ser Gilmore doesn't enter the room where Duncan and all the others are.

So I'm still right. :p

20. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

He does in my game because I bring him with me when I talk to Duncan.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.