1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to make a good Monk?

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by TheAnyKey, Jun 22, 2008.

1. TheAnyKey Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi,

I have some questions about the monk.

1. Is he as good as the armed fighter classes? Is he good at all?

2. How much wis, dex, str should he have at the start?

3. What is a good multi-class for a monk? How about the cleric, since both need wisdom?

Thanks

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    1. No, not quite as good as a fighter, barbarian, or paladin. But not bad.

2. I think I started with 14's and gave all wisdom upgrades to the monk (while increasing strength and dexterity with level ups).

3. Cleric is an excellent multiclass for a monk. Given the equipment in the game, the monk is only moderately powerful, while the spell casting of the cleric is fantastic. I would recommend taking more cleric levels than monk until cleric is maxed.

3. rop1964 Gems: 1/31

I prefer a Monk /Paladin multiclass, why? First at 2nd level , monk get evasion, which basically negate all damage from area of effect spell, can deflect arrows, etc, at lvl 2 paladin they got aura of courage (immunity to fear) lay on hand (heal charisma bonus by touch) and divine grace (add charisma bonus to all saving throw). as a fighter, the paladin attack more often and as monk high level (your punch will domore damage than any weapon found in the game (1D20 if i m not mistaken per punch).

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I find a Sorcerer/Monk multiclass to be useful, but more as a mix-in.
    Taking 2 levels of monk, then switching to Sorcerer until it is maxed greatly increases the survivability. Evasion and deflect arrows greatly help the sorcerer survive, and the monk ac will be better than any robes you can find for quite a while. Since you can't cast spells wearing armor, that synergizes as well.
    The downside is that you won't have the stats to be a very good monk, and you will probably want to give all the stat increasing barrels to said sorcerer since he'll probably need them as monks need STR, DEX, CON, and WIS while sorcerers need CHA.

5. rop1964 Gems: 1/31

what you need is the PoR2 character editor 1.9 just add 2 level of paladin for the aura of courage, devine grace (char bonus to save) and a quick stabiliser healing with the lay on hand Charisma bonus to healing touch)

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found the paladin/sorcerer combo to be quite powerful. Multiclassing in PoR seemed more about pairing strengths. Paladin/sorcerer, monk/cleric, fighter/barbarian, ranger/thief -- these seemed to compliment each other quite well.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I find that monk/cleric isn't that good because of armor. It might be a good mix-in for deflect arrows and evasion, but you really don't gain much benefit over the cleric once you get some of the better armors available in the first 4-level dungeon in Stillwater. Also there are some awesome weapons a cleric can use just in the first dungeon, such as the greathammer that does double damage, the warhammer that is +5 vs undead, and a bunch of awesome clubs such as the one that gives a strength bonus and is great against constructs, and a double (or was it triple) damage mace you get in the Main Halls.

Heck, monk is hard to multiclass, but monk/ranger or monk/fighter is better.
    The ranger gives some small spellcasting and boosts BAB.
    I'd think monk/thief would be awesome too, but I haven't tried it and am not sure if it is viable because of alignment, just like monk/barbarian (which would probably be great too).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.