1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to create the best melee/magic/ranged character?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Sir Ai Rayzor, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Necrophex Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Glad I could help, it REALLY SUCKS to start all over again, so I don't even consider this way of replacing a character cheating. If you just made one little mistake, why start all over again?

2. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

youre absolutely right! :)

but i think ill use Dalekeeper instead.. much easier i think..

but I could use the console too.. =)

[ January 02, 2003, 22:47: Message edited by: airayzor ]

3. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

But it is cheating, since he/she died! You could always raise him/her. But if you're doing it just to add another NPC, then pfeh on you!
    :rolleyes:

4. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31

I know what you mean.. But my game isn't that serious..

Its not like I use it for serious cheating...

For example I used Dalekeeper to correct some stats on my two tanks, would rather like em' to use great sword instead of Long swords.

I also used it to find a spell for my sorcerer that I liked (instead of a defensive spell, I chose an offensive). And thats it!

I don't add every feat that I like, or give my sorcerer 30 in strength or anything else like that.. That would be cheating.

Rather use Dalekeeper to correct my failures, than start all over again..

.oO(I bet Roekemoes is backing me up on this =) )

... and please, were :yot:

[ January 03, 2003, 01:25: Message edited by: airayzor ]

5. Necrophex Gems: 5/31

Yup, you got my support on this one ;)
    But I'm sure this a point of debate

6. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

WTH, if you want to cheat you can. (I don't tell you are...)
    I just want to tell that you made a BIG mistake when you get that "Improved Initiative" feat. I know it is really good, especially for casters. However, the damn feat does not work. Yeah, you read it right. Now, go back to your console or Dalekeeper (whatsoever) and correct this fatal mistake. This one has nothing to do with you, so this is not cheating.

7. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31

What the f*ck is this? :mad:
    many of the extra feats arent working, feats like: Smite Evil, Turn Undead, Stunning Attack, and now Imp. Initiative..

How can this be true?

Has anyone brought this to BIS attention, or should I email them myself, and ask them if its going to be fixed in a patch soon-to-come ?

EDIT: sorry for the swearing part, but I just think its lame...

[ January 06, 2003, 14:25: Message edited by: Sir Ai Rayzor ]

8. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

As far as i know mite evil and turn undead works but you need charisma modifier...In first glance Imp.Initiative looks like the bet feat but its true that it doesnt work :(

9. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31

a charisma modifier?

anyone knows what that means in english (or danish perhaps ;) )

10. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

Charisma modifier:
    Many feats have modifiers. Example: On certain spells, saves = feat bonus + charisma modifer (your charisma bonus of +2, +3 or whatever) + etc.
    Will saves use your wisdom modifier. 20 in Wis has a +5 modifier. You AC uses your Dex modifer -- 20 adds +5 to your AC.
    A lot of this stuff doesn't seem to work in a lot of places in the game. Example: I look at the screen message where my second to-hit is 26. I roll a 5 + 28 for a total of 33. I have no idea where the 28 comes from. I think it should be 5 + 26.

This is a side note to keep the topic flowing. Sometimes questions come up within a topic that seemingly are off topic but if the answer is placed in the topic to keep the flow going, the answer or side note should really not be off topic. However, this is really for the site police to determine and not for me -- just my self preservation mechanism kicking in to present my logic here and avoid more nasty emails.

EDIT: I have a deep gnome monk27, paladin1, ranger1, rogue1 for an ECL total of 33. The pal1 allows him to use that wisdom +5 ring, the ranger one allows him to have a fifth hit because he isn't wearing armor anyway, the rogue was supposed to be for the envenom weapon feat, which doesn't seem to work (area bug or feat bug, I don't know which). His hide and move silently skills are at 33, which is max. I use the staff +5 of special whatever with the poison damage and for 6 rounds the enemy rarely gets a hit in because he is too busy spasming from the poison (I think this is the best weapon of the game). The monk appears always hasted because of his innate speed. I think that a hasted rogue might be more powerful with 4 levels of fighter because of the weapon specialization. I just started chapter two and so far he looks pretty good though.
    Side note: I arrived at the level 30, ECL 33, via squatting. I'm in hOf with Weimer addons and I have never used the cheat console or Dale Keeper. I have learned that each time you restart or replay the game it can be very different and fun. Also, remember that the toughness of a battle is based mainly on your average party level. Also, I think that whatever party makeup you choose it is winable with good strategy despite the things that do not work in this game.

[ January 06, 2003, 16:20: Message edited by: IaaA? ]

11. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

A modifier score for any ability is equal to (your ability score-10)/2.
    For example, you have both +4 modifier when you have 18 or 19 on an ability. So, it is wise to keep your ability scores at even numbers.
    Your ability modifiers effect your game in many ways, related to situation.
    You can learn "which ability effects what" from in-game descriptions.(See character creation screen)

12. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31

So that would explain why the above feats doesnt work?

but if you do have a charisma score at 18, and the Turn Undead feat still doesnt work?

this is kinda buggy :(

13. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

Well, you can not be sure if your turn undead works. You can fail your attempt. However, if you have high level and charisma, you should be able to succeed many times. If you don't, that's a problem. ;)

14. Rekiller Gems: 5/31

My favorite character is:

Ranger x/Fighter 4/Rogue 4

it's a two-wepon fighter, scout, thief, archer, and some ranger spells! :eek:

15. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Best Melee/Magic/Ranged Character? I wanna say the Bard, but I know it isn't true ;)

I'd go with the Paladin1/SorcererX crowd. You definetely want that +4 boost to ST's that the Paladin class gets. However, I say take a halfling, for another +1 boost to Saving Throws. :D The penalty to str is not that important anyway.

Now statwise, this would be my choice:
    STR: 10
    DEX: 12
    CON: 18
    INT: 8
    WIS: 10
    CHA: 18

A high CON to counter spelldisruption and CHA for Spellrange. I took 12 in DEX rather than in STR to help out with Reflex Savings a bit. (The feats that boost the individual savings are mighty good ;) )

Skills would go into Concentration of course, and as for feats, I'd take Lightning Reflexes first, because of a relatively low reflex savingthrow. I choose this over the Will boosting feats, because you don't need a lot of will savings in the beginning. Didn't look at Feats very long though due to lack of time, so I might come back on that later this week.

16. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

Faragon:
    Your halfling will suffer %20 XP penalty. I would choose an aasimar. By that way, I would have 4 stat points and CHA can reach 20 for +5 modifier. I still get +5 to saving throws as an halfling would. This build has only one disadvantages; ECL +1.
    But I think it would worth it.

17. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

How would you get the extra savingthrow points? Of course, you could, by investing a feat in Luck of Heroes. :doh:

In that case, nevermind the halfling build. The Aasimar build has all the halfling advantages and more. Apologies given to Master of Nuhn who I now got stuck with an halfling paladin/sorcerer :bang: :sosad:

[ January 22, 2003, 12:24: Message edited by: Faragon ]

18. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

:shake: I think he is busy cursing you. :p

19. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Not really, for he called me up yesterday to inquire after which spells he should give to his Aasimar Paladin/Sorcerer. :grin:

20. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

So, he stopped cursing you and work on the build for his own. :shake:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.