1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How on earth... the humiliation

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Shoshino, Feb 15, 2003.

1. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Strength doesn't really count for that much. I mean a strength of 18 gives you a slight increase on your chance to hit (though why strength makes you more accurate has always been a mystery to me) but if you're facing an enemy with a better THACO than you, your high strength won't make much difference at all.

2. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] THACO doesn't equal accuracy exactly.

It's a measure of ability to get a hit. Which combines fighting experience (why thaco improves with level), and ability to penetrate armor (strength helps here and better weapon quality too).

3. dshadow Gems: 8/31

THACO "does" equal accuracy. The lower THACO you have, the better your chance of landing a successful blow on an enemy.

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I thought THAC0 was to see if it penetrated the armor or not?

By the way, what diffuculty were you on?

5. Kabuki Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Simple. The higher your strength, the faster you can make the blade travel.

The Faster the Blade Travels, the Harder it Is to Dodge!

The reason Dex Determines APR (Attacks per Round) Is because you use your dex to turn the blade in order to strike again faster.

If you doubt me, Get a big, uncoordinated guy, give him a Long sword, and let him swing, and see how tight the turn radius is.

Then, Get a small, Nimble guy, give him a long sword, and check out how tight those turns are. Bit faster, but they can't always back the blade Move as fast, just turn quicker, to give them another shot..

(Mediums Build Gets best of Both Worlds!!)) :D

6. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Before I realized my mistake, I thought too that Dex determined your chance to hit, and Strength the damage done, but in ADD (and BG), Strength determines both, which makes it by far the most important Stat for a fighter.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, I remember many fights that give the impression that certain damage delivery comes from a script rather than a normal dice procedure.

Keeping to luck strictly I am most annoyed when I die before I can cast that healing spell / drink a potion (waiting for it to start takes long sometimes) or when something knows when to block my way or whom to distract from casting for its best. Several encounters depend so much on random dice over modificators that now you kill everything in twenty seconds now they kill you all in ten. The worst of that is in IWD2 though. Get there and you'll see things that aren't dreamt of in our philosophy. You'll miss your tiny inconveniences from BG ;)

8. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Never had such a problem... My Paladin went through them with just a simple Quarter staff...

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    So does mine every time (I play only paladins) and strange problems happen later in the game. But well, each copy of the game is evil in its own way ;)

10. dshadow Gems: 8/31

Sorry, Kabuki Man, but that makes no sense whatsoever. Strength doesn't equal combat skill no matter how you look at it. Strength should improve your damage but there's no reason why it should make your blows more accurate.

11. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

You are not alone my friend! I lost my Dwarven fighter with 10 hit points with a single very critical blow from Carbos.

Very bad luck indeed.

12. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

According to AD&D rules (2e) Strength is not just muscle mass but it also subsumes fighting ability. That's why it is the Prime Requisite for Warriors. Not to my mind, the reason strength lowers your THAC0 is that the stronger you are, the more likely your swings are going to do more damage (this is why I let my 4 year old punch me in the stomach but I don't let adults do the same.) There's more force -- and skill -- behind the adult punch.

But even tough guys can have unlucky days, which is what seems to have happened to Shoshino.

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Shoshino...on the plus side, now everyone here at SP knows who to go pick on when we're having a bad day! ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.