1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How of much of your life has been used up playing RPGs?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by aj142, Feb 3, 2003.

1. aj142 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I swear – there are lots of types of games that can take a lot of time to play, but I don’t think any other genre ultimately ends up costing me so much overall game-playing time in the end. I think I must spend about 120 to 200 hours on each RPG I play. Is that average? How much time do you think you spend on RPGs on the average, and what’s the longest game you ever played?

2. Misiek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've once played for 30 hours without a break(ok i lied we have to eat and go to bathroom:))it was improvised game, but it wa quite good:)I think that RPG is one of my favourite way to spend free time:)

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] Last two year about 5 hours a day. :1eye:

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I don't know if Diablo2 counts, dude.

But I've spent a fair amount in the Icewind. Either in the game, thinking about the game, or listening to the soundtrack.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

One of my first game on the pc was civilization 1! now I played that puppy in parts of a few hours. Time after time after time after time.

Settlers 2 was one those games were you could leave those little dudes on the roads to do all the work and just watch them do it, once I played this game like ten hours straight.

Now if you count all the hours I spend on Heroes 1, Heroes 2, Heroes 3 and Heroes 4 you would come to a full year I guess. That is the game series I have spend my most time one. Just one more turn, only that castle then I quit, one more turn etc, etc............ooops it's 4 am

I think most of my rpg time went into lufia2, but that was mainly because I was young at that time and had a lot of time to spare.

[ February 04, 2003, 09:23: Message edited by: Apeman ]

6. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well an RPG fan I've been for around 10 years now. But as far as gaming time goes, I think it was around 4-6 hours a day during my time in junior-high and high-school. Now it's closer to 1-2h per day. Sometimes much less, sometimes much more. Average time I spend on an RPG is about 60-200 hours, before I put it into storage. Final Fantasy VII was my sickest experience so far. I spent 1 week from tuesday to sunday playing full-time around 15 hours per day, every day. I was on a vacation then so I had the time. Only time I got off the screen was to eat pizza (yes, pizza every day save 1 if I remember correct) and visit the WC, I drank my coke while playing. You can't imagine the feeling I had in the end of the week.

Also, I have a friend who stayed up for almost 72 hours straight playing Fallout 2. His skintone was grey, for real, by the time he finished and we went off to buy a pizza. His mother being a doctor of some high stature, immediately ordered him to a day's worth of rest with some vitamins and something.

Ahh.. the days of yuth and teenage. ;)

7. aj142 Gems: 1/31

Did anyone ever play Xenogears? I'd say for console, that was the longest I ever spent on a game. I think I went for about 6 months, playing it off and on. I love that game. I read that Xenosaga will have about 80 hrs. of gameplay - I think the average is about 60 or 70 for an RPG.

8. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I can't wait for Xenosaga. I never played Xenogears (never released in the UK), but apparently Xenosaga isn't a sequal or prequal so it dosn't matter. Now there are three wonderful PS2 games I can't wait to buy this year. First Silent Hill 3, then there's Final Fantasy X-2 and now there's Xensaga. I've been wanting this game ever since I saw its trailer last march.

[ February 04, 2003, 19:58: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

9. Otaku Hanzo Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Interesting question. Hmmm... well, after giving it much thought, I must say that I have spent ALOT of time playing RPG's. I really can't say they have been a good portion of my game time, but they've definitely been there. I usually pump anywhere from 30 to 100+ hours into an rpg depending on the size and scope of the thing. I can, however, tell you the one single game that is responsible for MANY MANY hours of my life wasted. Some would not consider it an RPG per say, but I played it like one. And that would be X-Com. Yup, the first title in that series had me enthralled for many a long alien killing night. It was one of those "Oh my god, it's already DAWN!" kinda games for me. ;) The only purebred RPG I can think of that even came close to stealing such a major portion of my life as X-Com would be Daggerfall, a game I still consider to be one of the greatest CRPGs of all time. :D

10. aj142 Gems: 1/31

ZLayrex, where did you see the Xenosaga trailer? I'd love to see it. Is it on the main site? Maybe I missed it... anyway, I thought Xenosaga actually IS supposed to be the prequel - like the story takes place a thousand years before Xenogears. But if the two stories aren't tied-in together, then I guess it isn't a prequel after all. To tell, you the truth, I haven't heard a lot of gossip about it, despite the fact that everybody seems anxious to play it. You'd think that since it's almost out, that more peopel would be gossiping about it by now, ya know?

11. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I don't play very regular at the moment, due to work, sports and school, but I've spent my fair share of time on RPGs. Actually starting on PnP, only makes it worse :)

12. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

With games that can be saved, they go on for ages. My 1st time Baldur's gate completeion time (the time shown on the save game) was about 180 days. But i can't remember how to work that into actual game play. I seem to remember i was playing it for a couple of hours everyday for a coulpe of months. That was prob my longest gameplay experience.

13. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

1-2 hours....

14. Istari of Thay Banned

I've played RPGs for about 5 years...
    How much I play each day varies;
    from none to 1 hours, and from 2 to 7 hours
    (if I get really excited)

My record for non-stop playing is 12 hours,
    had a headace for days... :sick:

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I've hit a dead spot where RPG's are concerned. The only I'm playing now is Ironbeards Fallout PnP game

16. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Dunno...
    Prob something like 3000-8000 hours (3-8 months)...
    My longest Pokemon save (Gold or Crystal, can't remember) was about 350 hours, my best FFVIII save 250 hours etc etc etc...

Plus a LOT of time for those reloads...

Currently i play about 3-6 hours a day.

Games i remember spending a LOT of time:

Diablo
    FFVII (Recorded 350 h)
    FFVIII (Recorded 400 h)
    FFIX (Recorded 130 h)
    Baldur's Gate (Played 2 months 5h/day = 300h)
    Baldur's Gate 2 (A LOT)
    Warcraft II
    Pokemon Red (Recorded 200 h)
    Pokemon Gold (Recorded 500 h)
    Pokemon Crystal (Recorded 300 h)
    Swords & Serpents

Recorded record for non-stop playing is 11 h.

17. Pac man Gems: 25/31

That has to be Morrowind. With all the mods and plugins it basically never ends. :D

18. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I have been roleplaying all my life, my life is devoted to being what I am not and the edge between fantasy and reality is blurred and fading rapidly.

That answer much? ;)

19. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I remember when i first got iw2, i would start playing at about 6.30 pm and my mum would say, "dont stay on too late" i would absent mindedly agree and the next time i look up, it was morning. :D

20. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Too much life waisted I fear. :(

All those RPG from Final Fantasy to Baldur's Gate to Might and Magic...

Countless hours.
    And those RTS games like Age of Empires...
    I can't even begin to fathom...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.