1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you beat Sarevok?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Register, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I've never been able to get any magic damage off him, and I've fought him 50+ times. It always says "Sarevok - Magic Resistance".

2. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I know I have.
    I created a MP party with 4 necromancers, 1 cleric and 1 thief. Hide in shadows and moved in so I could see where he was, then I used my mages to cast FB out of visual range. I remember I did damage on him. Not enough to kill him though.

I can´t find the right creature file for him, only one with 285 HP and one with 999 HP.
    The 285 has 90% resistance to magic and stuff though...

3. Wiegraf Folles Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Sarevok (at least in BG1, not TotSC, has 135 HP and is immune to elemental spells) Magic missle still works but he has a high magic resistance. Globe of Invulnerability also works so you can cast that on him while you take care of his cronies.

4. Edwin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

How could you kill him with magic missles? They only do a little damage, and sarevok is almost totally magic resistant. Once I beat the game with my new mage, I'll definetly try the bash and slash technique. Send Minsc in with Plate Mail +3, Gauntlets of Dexterity, Flametounge, and Large Shield +2 should work. Maybe a protection from evil too. (LOL) Oh, plus I tried a while to get the fireball to work. I also didn't beat Sarevok for 3 times. [ snip ]

[ ToB spoiler removed. ] - Beren

[ March 14, 2004, 23:32: Message edited by: Beren ]

5. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sarevok's freakish magic resistance doesn't seemt to affect Magic Missiles in the same way it affects Fireballs. Fireball will inflict 1-4 points of damage on him, and not the 20+ it inflicts on most other enemies. Magic Missile inflicts its usual damage although his magic resistance blocks that out sometimes.

However, if you've got enough people casting it at him it can still be really effective. Assuming your characters have all hit level 7 and you have three members capable of casting it (the PC, Edwin and maybe Imoen), that's 12 Magic Missiles a round. 1-5 points of damage per MM comes to 12-60 points per round. Average = 36. Even if Sarevok resists half of them, you're still looking at 18 points of damage per round. Considering you need to hit him for 135 points to kill him, it's not exactly beyond the realms of possibility that you could bring him down like this.

6. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I did not bother casting any buffs on anyone. I simply cast monster summing twice and used on used a monster summoning wand once.
    Then I spread out the monsters in a line, so they would not get killed at once with area of effect spells.
    When Sarevok appeared I sent my three tanks forward had, Yeslick cast "dispel magic" on Angelo, then promptly killed him with a couple of hits.
    Then just used everyone to distract Sarevok whilst my PC gulped a protection from magic potion and cast about 8 magic missile spells on him.

7. cadderly Gems: 5/31

well i know i didn't cast any magic missiles or fireballs, never even thought i could hit him that way due to everyone saying he was almost totally immuned to magic, but i must say haste and bless help tremendously in this fight, but what are all of you talking about with prot from evil, never heard what this does toward sarevok.

8. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Protection from Evil 10' radius doesn´t do much *against* Sarevok. It does however give your party a great protection from evil creatures:

First, all attacks made by evil or evilly enchanted creatures against the protected creature receive a penalty of - 2 to each attack roll, and second any saving throws caused by such attacks are made by the protected creature with a +2 bonus.

In short; A great buff.

9. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I didn't beat Sarevok about 29 times, but the 30th time i finally succeeded. :) I had the strong belief that all my characters should survive the battle. This made the fight alot tougher, believe you me... :rolleyes:

First i made short work of Tazok, who came out of nowhere. I then ran about to see where all the enemies were positioned, and reloaded to start buffing. Then I walked only far enough for Sarevok to see me, had him come over and the fight started. Since I was VERY much a noob at that point, I didn't use any magic spells, except maybe healing spells. Then I did this till Sarevok died... :cool:

Yes, this was one of the worst tactics anyone could use, but remember that this was at least 5-6 years ago. :rolleyes: ;)

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    One thing that makes the battle much more difficult is if you have BGTuTu installed. It puts the SoA rules into BG1, including that you are allowed a maximum of 5 summoned creatures under your control at any given time. So building up a wall of summoned creatures for Sarevok to hack through is not a possibility. In fact, I have found it's not even worth buying a wand of monster summoning with BGTuTu installed, because with only 5 allowed creatures, your own spells can take care of that.

In my last time through I cast one monster summoning I and had people fire away with missile weapons. The summons lasted a few rounds, and as soon as they were dead I went into melee with Sarevok with my PC (barbarian), Kaigan, and Shar-Teel. The others (Imoen, Viconia, and Edwin) continued to fire missile weapons at him. I rotated my three fighters as best I could. The strange thing is once Sarevok starts attacking a character, he won't stop unless that character runs away and he can't get to him. At that point he will start attacking another character, and won't stop until that character runs away, etc. So it is possible to "rotate" (for lack of a better word) your fighters. And gulp down some healing potions when Sarevok is laying the smack down on someone else. I didn't lose anyone in the fight, but all of my front-liners were badly hurt. Without the wall of summoned monsters, this battle is a lot harder.

11. Edwin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Sweet. Then next time, I can use magic missles. At 7th level, my mage kicks butt with those.

12. david w Gems: 19/31

In other ways, Tutu makes the final fight easier. It allows your thief to set snares. Set enough of them and you can practically kill Sarevok in one go.

13. cadderly Gems: 5/31

thanks for the info on prot from evil, and when i said towards sarevok i meant that to be like in the battle with him, not at him directly.

by the way, that whole setting traps thing, isn't their only a certain amount of traps you can set seeing as it only says so many times you can use it under your special abilities icon, might be wrong on this though, i dont have ANY mods or patches.

14. david w Gems: 19/31

If you want to exploit the game engine, you can set a couple of traps, head outside the temple, rest, come back in and set a couple more. Repeat this until you hit the limit of 7 traps.

Now if you can get Sarevok to run into them and not have them wasted on his allies, you can inflict enough damage to practically kill him before he even has chance to hit you.

15. cadderly Gems: 5/31

hm, didn't someone up above say that you couldn't rest, or did they just mean you couldn't rest inside the building.

16. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

@Cadderly

The Prot. from Evil trick is where you cast PfE on one character until his AC is somewhere around -20. Sarevok then has a very difficult time hitting you. It's considered cheezy though because it's exploiting a flaw in the game design. (As you'll notice they took that out in BG2.)

And, no, you can't rest. Once you're inside the temple, there's no backing out.

17. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

Yeah, Tutu makes it easier, if you dont use the monster summoning way to beat him.
    If that is your best tactic however, which seems to be the case with many people here, you´re in for some trouble.
    Although, that trap cheeze is just as bad as the summoning.

Never knew you could cast multiple PfE.
    However...
    IMO cheeze is just the same as cheat.
    So why not "ctrl-y" him right away?
    Because it´s no fun.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @Duke

What tactic to you do exactly? I imagine you have a better plan than just yelling charge and swords swinging. What level of cheese do you not tolerate? Does my summoning 5 creatures to hold Sarevok off while I deal with his friends cheesy? Is rotating characters cheesy, seeing as how Sarevok won't follow the one that runs away as he is about to die, and won't start attacking him again as soon as he comes back? It is exploiting the game engine...

19. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My Sarevok-slaying strategy revolved around my having boatloads of wands of monster summoning (literally, my company had to drag around a little dinghy full of wands I had so many...j/k)
    I used up two or three wands, then sent my not-so-little horde of conjured monsters against Sarevok and his cronies (remember, in BG there's no limit to the amount of monsters you can summon)...naturally I also sent my hand-to-hand characters against him (my PC, a dwarf fighter-cleric, Minsc and Khalid) and had Coran shoot at Sarevok with arrows the whole time...my mages also helped take care of his cronies, though they didn't do much good.

20. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31

No, summoning 5 monsters is okay. Summoning 50 monsters is cheese.
    They changed that rule for a reason dont you think?

Switching characters is a must if you play with a party since you wont be able to stay alive otherwise. And it´s not exploiting anything.
    I think Sarevok acts correctly.
    If you were in a fight against 6 characters where, say, 3 had ranged weapons. Would you chase one and let the other hack away, or just attack the one closest?

This is how I do when I play with a party.
    Switching "damagetaker" til he goes down.
    I haven´t played with a party for some years now though...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.