1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How did you kill Firkraag?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Neeraj the Freak Paladin, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The Tactics mod is the only one I've given any serious thought to trying. After looking at the readme for it, I'm tempted to say that playing WITHOUT it might be cheesy!

2. Veras the Blade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, perhaps I just got lucky or something, because my group defeated Firkraag in a single try, and didn't lose anyone.

The group (all around level 11-12) consisted of:

My blade, dual wielding baldurans sword, and flametongue.
    Minsc: Berserking 2handed sword
    Jahiera: gnasher
    Yoshimo:his sword and a short bow +2
    Nalia: Boomerang dagger

I talked to firkraag who initiated the fight. My blade had used a contingency scroll and it caused his stoneskin to activate. Yoshimo immidiately began his rain of dispelling arrows from a safe location away from the dragon while minsc and my blade slashed away. Nalia cast haste, jaheira cast defensive harmony, and blade did mirror image just as the dragon did his dragon fear, which freaked the majority of the group out. Firkraag did dispel magic, however, and the fear was gone. (so was haste and mirror image)

He wing buffetted minsc and my blade away, catching jahiera in the burst, leaving nalia and yoshimo to fight the dragon. Nali fired another haste at my blade as he slid across the floor, and yoshimo switched to ice arrows, (which werent working on the dang dragon so yoshi was useless.)

Veras, my blade, got up as the haste boosted him and cast enchanted weapon, creating a longsword +3. As he prepared to cast it again, firkraag let loose a blast of fire, which left nalia with about 3 hp. She ran, of course, but firkraag cornered her as her stoneskin contingency activated. Jahiera got up along with minsc who promptly berserked and attacked yoshimo. Yoshi used a potion of defense and tried to hold him off.

My blade completed his second lonsword as firkraag was slashing away nalia's protections. Nalia tried futilly to fight him off with magic, with no avail. Veras (blade) rushed into the dragon's side, brandishing his two enchanted longswords, and hacked away. Firkraag wing buffeted, sending everyone but nalia (hit the wall) flying. Veras didnt get knocked out by the buffet however, and he rushed at the dragon again.

Firkraag turned and rushed veras and they hacked at eachonther hand to hand. Veras did defensive spin, and they fought until firkraag was weak, and veras was out of magic. Just as i thought the fight was over, minsc criticals forkraag out of nowhere, and veras's final lightning bolt from his wand finifhed him

I swear...it was like it was in a movie... :cool:

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Cool fight Veras :thumb:

me?
    Oh, i just had my evil barbarian eat lotsa beans a day before. When the fight started, he just jumped into the dragon whole...

Imagine Firkraag's agony :D

4. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31

Look, lamers! NO CHEESE! :D

Noah Fence

5. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

i cast a load of lower resistances & greater malisons, then just belted the crap out of him, nobody died, somebody had about 1hp left, but no deaths, apart from firkraag.

6. Ketchet Gems: 1/31

My first time fighting Firkraag, I had a solo sorceress lvl 17. I put up my protections (stoneskin, blur, mirror image, and the fireshield), then walked up to say hello. Then I ran away (boots of haste), cast two lower resistances while he was getting his protections up, and fired a Power Word: Blind. He couldn't see me as I cast my spells, so I finished him easily with lightning bolts and a few cones of cold, without suffering any damage.

7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

hey, Neeraj the Freak Paladin you do realise that fire attacks actually heal Firkrag, including Fire Elemental attacks.

anyway the magic resistance thing is an excellent ploy, and one that I have used in the past, especially on Iron Golems and other very hard to kill, High MR creatures.

8. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] LOL! No I didn't! LOL!

I'm still laughing at myself now that you've mentioned it! :rolling:

9. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31

"He couldn't see me as I cast my spells, so I finished him easily with lightning bolts and a few cones of cold, without suffering any damage."

Look, lamers: NO CHEESE! :D

Noah Fence

10. Ketchet Gems: 1/31

Yeah, does Power Word: Blind count as cheese when used on Firkraag AFTER talking to him and casting 2 lower resistances? Just curious. It certainly does make the battle very easy.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It makes the battle easy using normal battle conditions imo. So no, I strongly disagree that this is cheese.... Maybe if he cast spells like that at him 'before' he was hostile, then yeah :p .

12. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It isn't cheese, if you were an adventurer, would you really want to give a red dragon a chance? If I didn't catch him while napping, I would be running full-tilt out of there!

13. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Tactics Firkragg is kinda hard for me. Especially if i try him chapter 2. Last time I did i, party levels all 15 around

Me (Sorcerer)
    Keldorn
    Edwin

Anyway this wasnt that hard. I buffed with scrolls of fire protection to get it up to 100% on all of them. Threw on protection from magical energy. Stone skinned both mages. Came into the room he breathes, my 100% fire resistance kills that though. Triggered 2 lower resistances and also a malison + feeblemind. Feeblemind failed :( (If it had suceeded I wouldnt be telling this story.)

Anyway I started throwing up summons from wand of monster. Tried to circle them round the drag. Didnt work. He killed em all in one shot. Edwin shot his wand of monster summons and put them behind the dragon. It turned around and blew them to the wall. This is when I sent keldorn in. The drag breathed him, no damage. Then it wing buffeted him. Save vs breath passes and he runs back to get beat the **** outta. I start casting fingers of death. Neither works but drag takes damage. Keldorn gets damaged to hell and runs away. This time I cast malison finger combo. Works, dragon dies.

Hes really not that tough.

Best fight I ever had with firkragg was one of my first times against him. No cheese. This was non tactics. I came in with a bunch of buffs. Sent my whole party in crashing. Lowered resistance twice while he roasted my entire melee. They all started running around like headless chickens. But their hasted. Anyway that idiot dragon decides to chase minsc, whos scared ****less, and running for his life. Nalia and Edwin both cast mm's at him. Both of them get of like 6 mm's each. Firkragg dies still running after Minsc. It was hilarious.

14. Fallorain Gems: 1/31

haste + breach = death

15. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

All you have to do is Cast magic resistance and Finger of Death. One Shot, One Kill Baby.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.