1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How come the US haven't found any nukes in Iraq? (some more scrutiny)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Absolutley, Ragusa. I wanted to add that long range policy, to which you are referring, is also an arm of so-called conservative think-tanks (CATO, Heritage Foundation, etc). These guys are connected with the lobbyists who run all over the halls of congress and the basement of the White House influencing policy.

CATO is especially connected with the long term plans of neocons to dismantle the New Deal policies of FDR. Most of the people there have made it their lifetime goal to turn back the clock in America to pre-FDR days. Good call, Ragusa.

[ July 10, 2003, 06:09: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

2. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

here

So, the oil-fields of Saudi-Arabia and Iraq are the most important sources of oil. Saudi-Arabia is producing, Iraq is since a few years nearly not producing. To get Iraq producing again, it seemingly needs 5-10 years. The question is not, where the Americans get their oil, the question is, where the Chinese, Indians, Europeans, Japanese and Russians get their oil, from Grosny.

Eurpean countries and oil

3. Prozac Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

That is another point the US gvt is only giving lip service to the development of alternative sources, old oilers as they are. And that's the really sick part about it.
    We need oil to assure our future independence and everyone who interferes has to face us enforcing our national interest. Fullstop. If you don't want to give us your oil we gonna make you give. Regime change.

The apologists who now, in the face of news, still try to justify the war against iraq go that way, and they go to great lengths:

(From Tom Paine) Doh.

And even the rights among the rights start to ask who's war this was, people like Pat Buchanan, questionable themselves, are no longer considered fully in line for questioning PNAC:
    The *rift* mentioned is a degree of dissent between christian right folks like Max Boot and the pro-israeli neocons, also nicked likudniks. Insofar it's perghaps the question about who rules the GOP. Insofar, Pat Buchanan's article is particulary interesting and I strongly recommend to read it, even more as he had one of his better days writing it.

And he asks some interesting questions about the WMDs here.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Pat Buchanan's article is too good to be left out here:
    Hard words indeed. In light of the developments after, this is even more an outrageous insult aimed on the personal integrity of this man who did a job well that was unwanted and consequently sabotaged by the US as it weakened their case for a war they wanted anyway.
    After these bits, this war comes at a price to america, it is destabilising, undermining the US reputation and credibility.

Anyone remembers the case of france? France, as result of her dissent to things Bush can't even today proove to his own people, opposed the war. This let loose a campaign against france. Anyone remember freedom fries?
    France flew some life-saving 20% of the close air support missions for US soldiers and special forces in the afganistan theatre. But according to geostrategy wizard Richard Perle France is no longer an ally.
    Only because the french wanted a *reason* to kill iraqis and to topple the iraqi gvt?

The whole last months before the war on iraq were characterised by a media campaign and a public emotionalism against france.
    And that's the part where I really started to feel uneasy. Especially as it displayed what the current gvt is willing to wreck to enforce their foreign policy. This is characterised by two phrases: "Pre-emptive use of force" and "Who's not with us is against us".

Or in Pat Buchanan's words:
    To see how isolated the US is as a result of the wrecker menthality in the neocon circles, just compare the coalition for the war in afganistan with the pathetic coalition of the willing (and those who caved in under US pressure to cut aid).

Yes, they still speak with each other but they always do so - Iraq also wasn't cast out of the UN after invading kuwait - because diplomats, like priests, do speak with every fallen sinner, iraq as well as with US.

[ July 11, 2003, 12:35: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

5. Prozac Gems: 4/31

Oh yes, france. There is the legend that france helped Saddam to build nukes, one of the countless variations of that, let's say, stretch for the sake of peace.
    After stating a :cry: "disturbing increase in criticism" :cry: of Bush's (or let's be honest, Wolfowitz/ Perle/ Rice's) fabulous strategy of regime change, he eventually and unavoidably pounces down on France:
    * And so let's just assume he knew what I KNOW, that Saddam is evil and therefor *had* to build nukes.

Errr ... must be a strong stuff this dude as been on writing this.

Well, as usual I'd like to introduce a dissenting view on the above polemic, just as polemic:
    A threat everyone? Well, I fail to see the crucial help France gave to Iraq in building nukes, and other than that their contribution wasn't better or worse than the british, US, german, polish or anyone elses. But tell that a true believer.

The note about Perle's role is quite interesting, as Perle, also serving as a national security advisor to the israeli gvt has always stressed israels role in the region at the side of the US, and always stressed the necessity that they alone own nukes there. And suddenly things fit together again.

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Apropos Perle, where is Richard Perle now?

In reference to this article and the mentioned paper by Perle, Douglas Feith and David Wurmser: " A Clean Break: A New Strategy for Security the Realm" - where he concepted a security policy for ... israel.

As pointed out before the war on Iraq was indeed mainly a THINK-TANK-WAR.

I was bored this afternoon and so I surfed the neocon-bastion AEI, the American Enterprise Institute's web-archive for some older positions of these people on the iraq issue. To give you an overview on my results:
    - Why the West Must Strike First against Saddam Hussein, by Richard Perle on Thursday, August 1, 2002
    - The United States Must Strike at Saddam Hussein, by Richard Perle on Thursday, August 1, 2002 (Wee! Busy day!)
    - The U.S. Must Strike at Saddam Hussein, by Richard Perle on Tuesday, January 1, 2002
    - Iraq Needs a Revolution, by David Wurmser on Wednesday, November 12, 1997
    -"... and Carthago has to be destroyed", by Cato in classic days :rolleyes:

Writing this I just cannot leave out PNAC, the Project for a new american Century. Beeing THE neocon house we'll make rich harvest here on older essays on Iraq which might include ... notable statements.
    - The open letter on Iraq to President Clinton from January 26, 1998 - just have a look at the signators.
    - In Saddam's Future, A Harder U.S. Line, on June 3, 2000
    - How to attack Iraq, from November 16, 1998
    - Wolfowitz Statement on U.S. Policy Toward Iraq from September 17, 1998
    Regime change, regime change and once again regime change. Quite a comfort to find constants in this ever-changing world.

Another interesting house is JINSA, the Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs. Just hop through thescroll down menue bar and you'll see some interesting names: Like Richard Perle (oh surprise); Michael Ledeen or James Woolesy, ex-director CIA ...
    -A hint on how influential these people actually are: They proudly boast their aiding hand with the US "Shock and Awe" strategy.
    And of course, they have a longstanding postion on Iraq.
    - To Overthrow Saddam from October 2, 1998
    - Iraq: Here We Go Again, by Mark H. Kagan on March 6, 1998
    - Iraq - Resolution of the Board of Directors of JINSA - Passed Unanimously 23 April 2001
    - Iraq - Resolution of the Board of JINSA - March 22, 1998

Now let's continue on our potpourri at the CATO Institute. Disappointment here - they only have critical stuff to show on their Iraq page.

So let's hop over to the Heritage Foundation on our search for samples. Hmm. They don't have that much to offer about iraq, but two remarkable articles on afganistan, with a title pretty ironic for us today: Defusing Terrorism at Ground Zero: Why a New U.S. Policy is Needed for Afghanistan from July 12, 2000.

Neocons, that we can assume, only grow in a certain climate. And they seemingly have a chronical Saddam fixation.

All this is just a product of some two hour of searching. It is meant as a hint on how long these dudes think about this stuff ... at least since 1997 and probably even earlier days. They had war on their minds even before 9/11. And I am pretty convinced they took their chance, serving Bush, as Buchanan suggested, indeed a "pre-cooked" meal the days after 9/11.

7. Prozac Gems: 4/31

Well, the often quoted israel-US connection, especially the way Buchanan presents it, makes one assume that Israel might have captured US foreign policy.
    I don't believe that. It's more vice versa. The people in the US gvt, mind the backbone of Bush crew is in service for approx 20 years now, have IMO more captured israeli policy, embracing the israeli extreme right, encouraging their hard path against the arabs.

When people think about israel and it's military successes they may feel tempted to think that Israel does that alone. That is a crucial error. Without US military aid israel would have long succumbed to arab attacks. I remember the pictures of the Lebanon war - the primary israeli vehicles were the M-113 APC, the M-60 tank and the M-109 howitzer. Not quite what I'd call domestic israeli products. The US were well informed and silently agreed on this attack, despite all public statements.
    When israel in the past did something the US didn't like they drew the line and withheld spare parts, ammo and weapons. The US influence on them is profound.

So I disagree with Buchanans's statement. The pro-isaraeli americans have taken over politics in israel as well. It is too easy to push away responsibilities for things that went silly to a group of pro-israeli extremists. The rest of GOP did give them a helping hand as long as it paid off, and played with them.
    Now that dissent is emotionally safe again they dare to speak out again. Three months ago they had been flamed as traitors on FOX. Ah well, that's politics - no friends and everything's allowed.

That's what expects the neocon crew when things get hot: First they'll try to sacrifice Tenent (yes, crappy intelligence :rolleyes: ... :hmm: ... but how about the pentagon cabal? ) to save their asses and then they rest will pounce upon the neocons until elections get important again and unity in GOP becomes imperative. And who survives stays in the game. Lovely.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/937524.asp?pne=11947&0ct=-300

And one month to the day....
    I hate to quote myself, but: Gee, is anyone really suprised?

9. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] After all the US officials only delivering gibberish bull when asked by reporters
    it's almost a joy to read neocons speaking out clear and straight. So does Charles Krauthammer in his article "Why the Left Likes Liberia" in the Washington Post (I found it in today's Wall Street Journal Europe) where he blames the liberals promoting humanitarian interventions, for having a claim on the US conscience:
    In Liberia, where only a humanitarian motivation can be a motive for war, he rules it out as not in US national interest ... whereas in Iraq where, as the title "Operation Iraqi Freedom" is meant to suggest ... humanitarian motives drove the US gvt ... ponder about that one :rolleyes:
    That is, free oil flow is a good reason to go to war, humanitarian motives aren't.
    Nevertheless, Krauthammer continues, accusing the liberals of having a position, neglecting US interests, that is, in Krauthammer's opinion:
    As he clearly meant that to distance himself and his like from the liberals, that can be interpreted two ways, that the neocons are:</font>
    1. either morally modest or
    2. immorally vane
    A pity that both interpretations suggest a low moral standard. Iraqi Freedom, driven by the desire to free the opressed iraqi people - sure.

The neocons, clear and rational - undistracted by emotionalist "humanitarian" bull, only go to war when there's a profit, and to help a country in ruins and suffering is simply not a national American interest, and therefor not worth to risk the lives of US soldiers ... :thumb:

[ July 15, 2003, 09:58: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

10. Iago Gems: 24/31

At Chandos

I have mixed feelings versus the cato-institute. One one hand, they have very good articles, present very good opinions and are quite on my line. On the other hand, nearly half of the articles are just hardcore communism. If they ever will be in charge, say good night market economy.

11. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

The crisis du jour in Washington is a revelation that President George W. Bush quoted from a forged letter about Iraq trying to buy uranium from Niger in his State of the Union address. Congress, as usual, is missing the point. Weapons of mass destruction were not the primary reason Bush went to war in Iraq, but he certainly thought they were there. Everyone thought they were there. The really critical issue is where are Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons today? What the CIA did with the Niger letter is of no real importance. What the CIA knows and doesn't know about the current war in Iraq and whether guerrillas control chemical or biological weapons is the critical issue that everyone is avoiding.

12. Iago Gems: 24/31

Newest intilligence reports incicate that the WMDs in question are lying save on a Swiss bank account. Rumours say, the interest rates are quite good for WMDs nowadays.

The rather interesting point for me right now is when the US goverment is coming clean with the troops stationed in Iraq right now about how long they have to stay there, until new occupation-forces will be sent to take over from them. Seems they're getting homesick and can't wait for enforcements to replace them.

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm just amazed that we invaded Iraq based on sketchy WMD intelligence, and North Korea is TELLING us they have them, they're going to build more, AND they are goin export the technology!!!!

Yet we do nothing...

America has lost its way. Our goverment is run by special interest groups...Bush must go! I'm running in 2004!

14. Ragusa

Media:
    Llandon,
    Given guerrillas or terrorists (and I don't believe in that) do have bio- and chemical weapons from Saddam's stock - wouldn't iraq still be a safer place with Saddam still in poewer, fully controlling them? Dictators don't give away control for their silver bullets. Just a point.

As for
    Well, when you cannot find something, then that can well be because is not there. Where is the nuke in your home, Llandon? When I don't find it searching your home that certainly means you must have hid it well :roll: :spin: The easy solution :square:

Keeping in mind the *weak* evidence, the contrary reports by the weapons inspectors, reports of leading ex-weapons-inspectors later, there is the distinct possibility there haven't been any left in 2003. Or in Scott Ritter's words: 'Even if Iraq managed to hide these weapons, what they are now hiding is harmless goo'

That could be a very plausible explanation for why none have been found till now: Because they have been destroyed. And to accept that, just for the sake of argument, may allow you to question the official statements on iraq soberly.
    Just scan this thread and you'll find links on that plentiful, and they are worth a read.
    I mean, you can still try to hold up the illusion that in washington everything's in apple pie order, even when lie after lie is uncovered - all by evil people with no other interest but bashing poor Bush. Well, for apple pie order there are too many open questions and, unfortunately, no satisfying answers.

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yago -- That seems an odd take on CATO's position, because they are dedicated to what they believe is a free market agenda. Check this link:

http://www.cato.org/about/about.html

Most libertarians don't think of themselves as communists at all. Nor are they conservatives in the real sense of the word. I know enough about them to know that they are opposed to FDR's version of social security and what is termed "government entitlement programs."

Of course, this would include government supported healthcare as well. I favor not only fully-funding these programs, but expanding them as well. If we can spend 4 billion dollars a month in Iraq, I'm sure we can provide some health care for the elderly who are being ravished by the healthcare industry, including the big drug companies.

http://www.cato.org/healthcare/index.html

16. Prozac Gems: 4/31

Llandon,
    it might be interesting to read this, obviously by renegade outcast ex-intelligence officers who are pissed about beeing out of the game :rolleyes:

Actually I can only wonder about the apologists. First they state that the war was never about WMDs (sic!) - facing arguments that it also cannot have been about:</font>
    • WMDs haven't been a reason, only to sum it up, so we do not need to painstakingly talk about the "imminent threat" by iraq that forced the US to pre-emptively attack :rolleyes:
      And fortunately we do not need to speculate on wether Saddam had any left or not (good link on that above)
    • freeing the opressed iraqis - have a look at Krauthammer above, humanitarian motivations are alien to the neocons
    • al-quaida + terror - no one seriously believes in that and you even ruled that one out on page 1 of this threat yourself
    • defiance of the cease-fire after Gulf War I - that was between UN and Iraq. Though the US negotiated the cease-fire they just didn't had the legal competence to take things in their own hands. You cannot sue your neighbour when he doesn't pay his bill at K-Mart. And no, the UN did not legitimise the US attack before and after Bush landed on that carrier to end this war ... err ... :rolleyes:
    • Regime Change - that's another goody. All countries are sovereign and legally equal; the US as well as Iraq. Yes, even as "rogue state" Iraq. That means the US have no right to exchange gvts they don't like. Even when they are led by little or big Saddams.
      And that means that Saddam also has no right to exchange Bush for Gore, even if he maybe likes Gore more or thinks he may be the legitimate president. Legitimacy has nothing to do with if Saddam may have deserved to be toppled. It's about the US, or the Bush administration, having the right to do so - and they don't.
    • scaring the **** out of the arab in general by making an example by wiping out someone who didn't have anything to do with 9/11 is just insane.
    And that some arbitrary other reason will sure have been good enough is no argument ... :rolleyes:

So what's left? Are there any reason except neocon geostrategical hybris - free oilflow, strategic basing (despite the US troops being moved from Saudi-Arabia to Qatar, the additional troops relocated from germany result in more US troops permanently in the region than ever before) in the middle east, bullying syria and iran - left out?

Well, Wolfowitz said, when asked "Why iraq?" "Because it was doable." and he referred to his neocon gut-feeling. Well, if that isn't a splendid reason to go out, bomb a smaller country and to kill people (even relevant people: that's americans) ... :thumb:

So if you have a good reason on why the US needed to attackl Iraq I'd be curious to see it, and perhaps to add a point g) to my little list.

[ July 17, 2003, 12:13: Message edited by: Prozac ]

17. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well, Bush has provided yet another reason for the war:

From Guardian Unlimited:

Pressed during an Oval Office press conference on the now infamous assertion that Iraq had sought to buy uranium ore in Africa, he said: "The larger point is, and the fundamental question is, did Saddam Hussein have a weapons programme? And the answer is, absolutely. And we gave him a chance to allow the inspectors in, and he wouldn't let them in.

"And, therefore, after a reasonable request, we decided to remove him from power, along with other nations, so as to make sure he was not a threat to the United States and our friends and allies in the region."

The comment, made on Monday, received little coverage in the US media. Although it did raise some eyebrows at the Washington Post, which, in understated style noted: "The president's assertion that the war began because Iraq did not admit inspectors appeared to contradict the events leading up to the war this spring."

Here's the relevent Washington Post Article:

President Defends Allegation On Iraq

18. Ragusa

Media:
    That's the old "regime-change" because of "WMD-program" tune.

The funny thing is that Bush, when mentioning Saddam's WMDs, is always speaking in the past. Did Saddam have a weapons program? Sure he had! Before 1990, there is no doubt about that.
    So to speak, when Bush sais Saddam had a weapon program that is certainly true - that was the case in Gulf War I when Saddam was deterred to use them. So, technically speaking, Bush isn't even telling a lie when saying so.

But these weapons were dismantled, the factories destroyed. Yes, he may have hidden some, and they are useless now. So what now?

In all his confuse babbling Bush never answers the really interesting question: *When* did Saddam have a weapons program? And the decisive time for the *when* is the time, let's say from the last 6 months until right before the US attacked.
    Did Saddam have a weapon program on march 19, the day the war started? Was there an imminent threat to the US? Was he a danger to the region? Was there a point in pre-emptively attacking him?

Evidence and inspector reports hint on a clear "no longer". And the question about the *when* is the question Bush does not answer, not for the relevant timeframe.
    And the 'darn good' evidence his crew brought up can't help improving his credibility in the only relevant point of the WMD discussion.

19. Prozac Gems: 4/31

Ah yes, I found another apologist excuse for why there is no need for finding WMDs, because ...
    • Saddam would have developed WMDs hadn't he been contained in Iraq, under the embargo. Well, that's probably correct, but the point is that he *was* contained and embargoed - and so he may be really evil, but he sure was no threat, much less considering the utter destruction the inspectors did to his program.
    You don't start a war based on "IMO he deserved it, ass that he is!" And I'll add the next lame excuse as soon as I find it.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ah. So in your opinion it would have been better to continue sanctions on Iraq indefinitely. Twelve years of hardship and death for the regular Iraqi people due to the UN imposed sanctions wasn't enough? In my opinion it was enough; the only thing keeping those sanctions going was the refusal of Saddam and his regime from complying with UN demands.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.