1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How 'bout them NY METS???!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Klorox, Jul 30, 2006.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Actually, Pedro also has a torn rotator cuff, making those people who laughed at the Mets giving him such a long contract look pretty good.

However, I agree. I think losing him is actually good. He was mainly ineffective and the Mets now have no mental cushion to lean back on (oh, Pedro will come in, pitch a perfect game, and save us).

Still doesn't look all that rosy for the very rusty Mets.

2. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Man, ESPN is fawning over Jeter like they're middle school girls. Honestly, you'd think Jeter was the only guy in the running for the AL MVP. Comeon ESPN, give some props to Thomas and Morneau, they're both more important to their far less talented teams.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    If Morneau or Thomas win the MVP, I'd have no problem with that at all. However, I do not think that you can completely write off Jeter as a worthy canidate. The guy just missed out on the batting title, had a great fielding percentage, is the team captain, and perhaps most importantly, in a year when the Yankees have been beset by injuries (Matsui, Giambi, Cano, and Sheffield all missed large chunks of playing time, and A-Rod slumping) Jeter has been the one constant.

To me, being the MVP isn't all about the numbers, it's about the intangibles that he brings to the table as well. I also think that the MVP should come from a team that makes the playoffs. Most valuable player should not be read as "best player", and I think you couldn't be all that valuable if your team didn't have a successful year. That's why I say that Morneau and Thomas are deserving, but not Dye.

Lastly, I feel bad for the Tigers. They have to be so down on themselves now. I wouldn't be surprised if they go three and out to the Yankees. The Twins also set a record. They were in sole possession of first place on only one day this year - the last one.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Wow, American League MVP discussion relates to the fortunes of the NY Mets. I see it. I see it. Nah, I missed it.

:yot:

5. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I'm fairly convinced that the Mets have no real chance of winning the pennan or the series, not because Pedro is out, but simply the fact that the pitching isn't going to be strong enough, if our offence has a bad day. Mind you if Wright, Beltran and Delgado start really hitting again ... mmm

Mind you we should take the Dodgers

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The thing I like the most about the series this year is the possibility of two very tantalizing matchups - I'd love to see another Mets-Yankees subway series, but I'd be more than happy with an old school Yankees-Dodgers series too.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It seems like the demise of the Mets was greatly exagerated. For at least one day anyway. Granted, they did get a bit lucky with the botched base running from the Dodgers, but in the playoffs, a win is a win is a win - it doesn't have to be pretty.

The team that is surprising me the most is the Twins. They might be done. While I think the strength of the A's pitching staff as a whole is better than the Twins, no one has a pitcher as good as Santana. I assumed Santana would pitch twice in the series, win both, and then the Twins would only have to win one of the other three games to advance. But being down two and going to Oakland, it just doesn't look good.

The other AL series is a formality. I think Detroit will be lucky if they win a game. It was a great cinderella story to make that run, but they very well might be three and done.

Finally, I'd expect the Padres to win the series. The Cardinals came into that series reelilng, barely holding on to win the division on the final weekend, after nearly squandering an 8.5 game lead with just 12 games to play - that's hard to do.

Overall, as much as it will disappoint all the Yankee-haters out there - it really looks like it's their year - again.

8. DarkStrider

That has to be the craziest double-play I've ever seen and also one of the biggest HR hits I've ever seen, certainly while watching games at Shea. I've just been reading on ESPN about it and they really don't have a clue as to how it happened really, but a win is a win especially in October. Come on the Mets

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Here's how it went down: I'm just going to use positions, because I'm not a Dodgers fan, and the only player's name I remember was Kent was on second. Anyway---

Runners on first and second, nobody out.

Batter hits a long fly ball into the outfield.

The runner on first sees the trajectory of the ball, correctly predicts that it won't be caught and starts running. Kent, however, does not start running. He goes half way between second and third and stops, waiting to see if the ball will be caught or not. Only after the ball drops does he start running towards third.

However, the runner on first has already rounded second and is heading for third as well. In fact, he's only about 15 feet behind Kent.

The third base coach sees this, and while he knows it's going to be a close play, he sees no alternative to waving Kent home. He can't stay on third with another base runner right behind him, and the other guy is already too close to third to go back to second. So he does the circle move with his arm to wave Kent home, and hopes that the throw is off to give Kent enough time to score.

And that's where the critical mistake happened. The second runner sees the third base coach's signal and PUTS HIS HEAD DOWN and runs as hard as he could. The third base coach did NOT want to wave the second runner home. As soon as Kent rounded third base, he gave the stop sign to the second runner, who, if he had been looking, would have seen the stop sign.

So the second baserunner plows right through the stop sign (the only reason Kent was sent home was because of the other runner), and seeing as how Kent was out, he obviously was thrown out too. Many people have questioned why Kent didn't attempt to knock the catcher over instead of trying to slide around the tag. If he had collided with the catcher, the second runner at the very least would have been safe. According to the post-game interview, Kent didn't even know that other guy was behind him - he had assumed he stopped at third base.

Now there's plenty of blame to go around here. The batter ended up with a double. When there's runners on first and second, and the batter hits a double, by all rights, the guy on first should have more than enough time to get to third, and the guy on second should score easily - standing up usually. In fact, if the runner on first is fast, it's not that unusual to see a guy score from first on a double. I can see why Kent was playing it conservatively with no one out, but Stevie Wonder could see that ball was going to drop.

I also blame the runner from first though. He should be alert enough to realize he wasn't being waved home. In reality what should have happended was runners on second and third, still no one out, and a run scored. Worst case scenario should have been second and third with one out, with Kent being thrown out at the plate. It's inexcusible to have two people thrown out at the plate on the exact same play.

10. DarkStrider

Aldeth I didn't mean it literally I meant as in it shouldn't have happened, the main person to blame is the first base runner as he didn't look at the ball position or the third base coach

11. DarkStrider

Woohoo we sweep the Dodgers and it's made all the sweeter by the Tigers, Let's go Mets

12. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Wow, I don't check this forum enough!

GO METS! BTW, I have tickets to tomorrows game, but with the weather and the death of a NY player today, the game might be put off until Friday afternoon. If that's the case, I'll be desperately trying to take Friday off from work.

13. dmc

Media:
    Made the most of their chance and took game one. Now let's see how they do against Carpenter.

14. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Good pitching in both series so far.

15. DarkStrider

Great pitching by Glavine again, and Beltran shows how much he loves Cardinals pitching, as you say dmc now it's Carpenter.

16. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

How about them Tigers???
    Wow, from being one of the worst teams in the league now suddenly they are in the WS!
    Go Tigers!

:( I can't watch any games... they are showing games a month old...

17. dmc

Media:
    Mets injured pitching staff is catching up to them. Their bullpen is going to be on fumes if they can get to a game 6 or 7. Doesn't look good . . .

. . . but a good old fashioned blow-out without spending too much of the bullpen always helps.

[ October 16, 2006, 05:36: Message edited by: dmc ]

18. DarkStrider

Agree dmc but what an offensive display in game 4 and as for Carlos Delgado well
    Bad news possibly about Trachsel though...

19. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Now we've got a series! I love sports more when a series goes 6-7 games rather than a 4-game sweep.

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes... how about those Mets.

With Carpenter on the mound tonight, the advantage seems to be in the Card's direction.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.