1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How are you supposed to take down Kangaxx without scrolls?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Heisenberg, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Heisenberg Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

After a few tries I a was able to defeat him but only by using scrolls. If you didn't have any scrolls he will just cast "Soul Trap" spell and your character is what gone forever?

Is there anyway to bring a character back from that? I know you could also use 3 rings of ram but I was just wondering what the "honor" or non dairy method of kiling him is?

Also, if a character is imprisoned are they done for?

2. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

You can use a scroll of freedom to release any character other than the main character. This can be bad though with romances since the character may think you "kicked" them out of the party.

Korgan is a standard way of beating kangax. He can use his berserk and a +4 weapon and he can beat kangax easily since berserk makes him immune to imprisonment (which is what steal the soul actually uses). Cast death ward on him before the fight and move your party to a corner far away and korgan will wipe him out without a scratch. Buffing him with stuff like imp haste is not required but will make it go faster.

Another nonbasic idea is to use the spell trap spell which will absorb a few imprisonments (can be used by scroll or by staff of the magi). If you can make sure the demilich concentrates on that character then you can just concentrate fire on him and if you have enough offensive fire power (in this case everybody needs improved haste) then you can take him down before the spell trap fails.

Korgan is definitely easy mode though.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    There are numerous threads about this, I'll have to look some up and point them out to you.
    First, you might want to check out this page from the makers of Baldurdash:
    Fifty Ways to Beat your Kangaxx
    Then search for Kangaxx threads.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/search.php?searchid=173364

Here are a few samples, but there are others.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3018&highlight=kangaxx
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50950&highlight=kangaxx
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44861&highlight=kangaxx
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4155&highlight=kangaxx
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2369&highlight=kangaxx
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3864&highlight=kangaxx
    http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24506&highlight=kangaxx

In summary, use +4 weapons or better, and to protect from imprisonment, either use the berserk ability of a barbarian or berserker, or use spell immunity:abjuration. Death Ward and spell immunity:necromancy help avoid that instant death move as well.

Heisenberg and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Heisenberg Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Thanks for the info the problem I had was even if I kept those not immune as far off the screen as possible he would somehow find them and then they were gone.

5. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's probably because you used Protection from Undead, which makes undead ignore the target completely. Without mods Kangaax's main tactic is to simply attack whomever happens to be nearest to him until it dies/gets imprisoned, then he switches to another target.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Normally, if I park my party members in the doorway as far away as I can, Kangaxx won't see them and will stand there without moving until the one character with PfU manages to kill him. He will move around if he has a morale failure, and you may need to make sure that when he spawns, your character is not in the way too much. By which I mean that if you put your character not straight in front of the coffin, but a little below it, it will force Kangaxx to spawn above you, in which case he is slightly further away from the doorway than would otherwise be the case.

Aside from the already mentioned spell immunity, spell ward (this one probably won't save you), death ward and/or berserker/barbarian rage, you can also use the Protection from Magic scrolls from the Adventurer's Mart. These will make your character visible to him, but also immune to all magic, so he will attack that character to no effect.

7. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Using Protection from Magic on Kangaxx himself and he can't cast at all, wasting his spells. I think it needs to be done twice, once for the initial battle, and once for his demi-litch form, but it's been a while since I used the PFM scroll instead of the PFU scroll. This is my usual method:
    Kangaxx the Wimp
    although this is interesting:
    Cheap & easy Kangaxx strategy

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Korgan is the answer.

I had a weird way of playing BG2... I'd start a game knowing what my party would be, and I'd head right for them at the beginning of the game before I did anything else. Despite this loyalty, I'd always swap someone out just to do the Kangaxx fight. Just make sure he's the nearest guy to Kangaxx so he gets aggro, Berserk and pew pew = dead Kangaxx/

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.