1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

HoTU with a monk

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Baezlebub, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Monk's are the one step easy made solution to HoTU. The whole module is based around the Underdark. Thus, we come across Drow. Drow are nearly immune to magic, and are nearly invulnerable in battle. There are numerous foes just waiting to swarm upon you, and their magic isn't nice either.

Monks are quick (really quick when you grab the boots of speed), they have great armour classes, can do unreasonable damage in battle, and do it fast. Have an outstanding BaB and by the time you are Epic, you are unstoppable. I am assured that there is no other class that could waltz through the entire module like a monk. You will need no followers, and will not use the relic.

I'd like to hear some discussion by other people who have found the game as easy as I have using a different class. I am convinced that there is no other way to win.

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Actually, a Weapon Master using Greatswords with the correct feats will pound a monk into oblivion. I'll take a +10 Keen Hasted Regenerating True Sight Magic Resistance Acidic/Fiery/Frost/Shock Greatsword with ki critical, Epic Weapon Focus and Epic Weapon Specialization over any of the +10 gloves.

A monk will have a rather difficult time with the final battle unless you buy your way past it or you've cheated somehow and given your monk a strength of 40+.

3. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Actually, the reason I chose a monk was because I never understood how to upgrade weapons. The manual doesn't really explain how it works, it just gives you the skill option. Anyway, my monk has been going pretty well so far, so I'm not going to give up just yet. And besides, I'm soloing, so all of the useless weapons I get I just sell, so I have more than enough money.

4. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The exact problem with a monk in HotU, in my opinion, is the lack of weapons. Their fists are fine, but definately not the same as a guy weilding two +10 swords with multiple effects on each.

Baezlebub, the weapon upgrading is through a blacksmith npc, you pay him, he alters your weapons.

5. Nazgul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Now, what about if you were playing a PW where the Highest magic item was a +3 for regular drops and maybe a +4 for REALLY powerful items?

Would you still choose your fighter/weaponsmaster? Or try something else?

Since the whole reason I get the games is play the single player then I jump onto the two PW's I play.

6. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I started a monk in HotU. And i must say he's not as powerful as i thought he will be. True, he's only lvl15 now and still has plenty of advancement room, but its pretty difficult to fight against those very few drow that you encounter. I had no such problems with a druid12/rogue3. Even a hin he is and he slashed his way through completely easily.

Perhaps they get better later on with epic levels *shrugs*

7. boo&minsc Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I must confess i'm a bit disapointed with the game so far.
    (I just started playing the Original Campaign, with both SoU nd HotU installed)
    (I'm playing D&D rules, with no henchman... solo)

I've had some real hard fights, and keep on founding powerfull items... and what is a monk supposed to do with adamantine or dragon blood?
    -gishhh-
    Marrok could have some helmet or gloves recipes!!!??? -g- thanks for thinking in that Bioware

I thought this game would be +- similar to BG's... but it's simply spoiled by constant 'uber' items IMHO

When i finish the 1st Chapter(or the OC) i'm changing character :(

I was planing on 25 Monk/2 Rogue/13 ShadowDancer

But i'm going for a # Druid/1 Monk/# Shapeshifter
    (1 level of Monk for the Wisdom bonus on AC)

In conclusion: the monk is weakened in this game :( it's better to change character.

Sorry if this was too much offtopic.

8. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

@Nazgul: Yeah I think if the PW you played in kept a cap on how ridiculous the weapons get, a monk is as good as anything, given that his fists eventually become +3 weapons.

Then again, retracting my earlier statement, I suppose you could always give a monk a pair of +10 Kamas (or just one for that matter).

@Boo&Minsc: Actually in the original campaign, I think the monk is one of the *best* classes to go with, its at the epic levels where their lack of equipment starts to show, I think.

If you find that you're not finding good monk equipment, go to one of the "temple" stores, they usually sell protective monk gear and gloves that do extra damage.

9. Old Sarge Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I just finished the game with a level 26 Monk. I must disagree with ArtEChoke's statement that the monk lags in epic levels. I never used my upgraded kama, ever. Just fists. There are many items that boost strength and more importantly DEX! My monk took out Mephistopheles in the final battle fairly easily. An AC of 66 kept him from touching me, a regeneration item kept me healed up from the rare hits I took, and my +10 gloves helped me hit him. My damage was low (his damage absorbtion is HUGE) so it took a long time, the only draw back. I've read many posts of fighters having problems with opponents I breezed through. MONKS RULE!

10. Observer Gems: 1/31

*echoes Old Sarge* My monk sliced his way through everything before Mephistopheles by himself without breaking a sweat. Granted he hasn't mangaged to kill Meph in the dozen or so times he's tried but I'm sure he'll get there sooner or later. :rolleyes:

11. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

The drow blacksmith upgraded monks gloves?

Its not that I think monks are bad per say (they're one of my favorite classes), but I went through with a dual-weilding Paladin, with two overpowered swords, each with a ton of different (and complimentary) effects on each. I just don't see the monk getting this, as all he has are his fists, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't add the powers of two different sets of gloves together...

In a normal setting (i.e. non-bioware) where people probably aren't getting handed +10 swords that drain strength, regenerate, haste, magic resistance, dispel magic, keen, etc, monks are bar-non the most destructive class out there.

Has anyone tried converting their monk to a weapon master at high levels?

12. Observer Gems: 1/31

Yeah I did, it doesn't seem to recognise unarmed strike as a melee weapon for some reason.

13. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

On the bioware forums the talk is of the monk as perhaps the strongest melee class in large part because you can exploit a bug. Mentioned above, you can get a pair of +10 kamas. The game recognizes these kamas as unarmed when used on a monk. So, flurry of blows works with the kamas equipped (circle kick does not apparently) and the monk's bonuses from fighting unarmed apply. At the same time she can take the two weapons feats and gain additional attacks from ITWF etc. So, the monk is gaining an unarmed bonus and an armed bonus. They are supposed to be mutually exclusive but since the game treats a monk with a kama as unarmed... it is a bug a lot of folks apparently exploit.

So, the monk ends up with more attacks per round than any other character. Kamas, like any other weapon, can be +10 with the elemental damage, haste, etc. So, when they're so highly upgraded they are apparently more damaging than fists.

By focusing on kamas the monk need not devote much focus to wisdom because it won't improve the DC of stunning fist etc (well, it will, but you won't use these feats since you're armed). This frees up points to dump into dex/str/con - the "fighterish" stats.

So, you end up with a guy with one of the highest AC in the game, good magic resistance, more attacks than anyone in the game, stealth, concealment, and two ridiculous +10 weapons.

I've never tried it so I'm repeating what I've read. It is an exploit to do the above according to the bioware folks... but it is done. Check out the bioware forums if you want more info.

[ January 01, 2004, 20:02: Message edited by: Laches ]

14. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Kamas getting the same number of attacks as the fists is not a bug. It says clearly in the Instruction manual that a monk is supposed to retain his unarmed number of attacks when wielding a Kama. The only bug concerning this is when you take a monk combined with 4+ levels in a class with fighter BAB because then the monk goes over his 5 attacks which isn't supposed to happen according to 3ed. rules. His possible enhanced number of attacks should only be calculated on the BAB he gets from monk levels, not on total BAB. Then he has to choose whether he takes the unarmed enhanced number or the normal number that every class has access to.

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ ArtE

That's what I'm trying for my next go-through. It seems like the perfect fit, though the feat requirements may be a little tricky. I tried making one but wasn't able to start adding weapon master levels right out of the box. It may be a worthy investment. After reading this thread, I may have his weapon of focus be Kamas instead of fists. Could be good. I think adding in 4 or so levels of fighter just feels right.

16. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I didn't say it was. The bug comes from getting the monks unarmed bonus + the armed bonus from various feats and combinations. They should be mutually exclusive. At least, that is according to the mods/designers on the NWN bioware forums.

Edit - the fighter add'n attacks wasn't mentioned in those threads. It may be a problem as well for all I know.

[ January 01, 2004, 20:13: Message edited by: Laches ]

17. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Has anyone tried taking some classes as Dwarven Defender with their Monk? You can have a ridiculous AC with Defensive Stance and Expertise combined with your Monk abilities and you'll also get some damage reduction. Just a thought.

edit: Forgot NWN failed to implement the Defender's AC bonus per level :doh: . Well, forget that then.

[ January 03, 2004, 07:08: Message edited by: Elendrile ]

18. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The only reason to take those is the damage reduction. You get a better armor class by just advancing in Monk levels and putting points in Tumble and that bonus is constantly active, unlike the Defensive stance. Although it isn't noted anywhere I checked and the Monk armor class bonus continues to increase every five levels even when you go epic Monk. So it increases till level 40. I don't see much use for the damage reduction since my monk barely gets hit and even then it's mostly from spells from a high level spellcaster who manages to bypass my not so bad spell resistance. I'd advocate pure Monk until level 40. Even the spell resistance continues to grow.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.