1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hosting Questions

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Aikanaro, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

So, I'm having this fleeting flight of fancy that I'd like to set up a forum, the problem being that as a fleeting flight of fancy, I don't really want to pay very much money for hosting in case the fancy flitters away :p Plus I'm kinda broke, so yeah, what I'm asking about is cheap hosting that isn't super****.

I have no idea how much disk space and bandwidth a small forum requires (small being the size of, well, all those other tiny communities that spring up briefly online for about six months and then die as people drift off - you can tell I have high expectations, can't you? :p ), any thoughts on that? There may or may not be a larger website attached to it, but I can't really think of anything that I'd put on it, so forum is the main thought.

Domain name - how much should I be expecting to pay here?

All googling seems to do is give me reams and reams of companies trying to sell me 'really really cheap!!!!' domain names/hosting - it's rather hard to tell, well, anything really. Some nice, calm, non-hyped opinions by people who know what they're talking about would be greatly appreciated.

For instance - would this (cheapest option) suit my needs? Or would it be worthwhile to go for something like this - a bit more expensive but looking significantly better. Anyone have suggestions for other companies? - those were just the two most likely looking I found via googling.

It's entirely likely that I'll get over this before actually doing anything (evidence for that; I do the same thing about every six months or so... ), but hey, I'm motived enough to create a thread about it this time, so it can't be all bad :p

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As far as com/net/org domains go, up to $15 is reasonable, but you can find them below $10 too. The cheaper they're offered, the worse/slower the handling of the domain-related procedures usually is.

Anything you find will suit your needs, which are pretty much "some space and a database for a forum". An SPS account would do that for you, and you wouldn't have to buy a domain to go with it.

Web hosts are a dime a dozen, but you pretty much always get what you pay for. Considering your motivation level, I'd recommend getting an SPS account and taking advantage of the basic web hosting that comes with it. Even if you don't wind up doing anything with the hosting, you still get a bunch of other extras.

3. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

There are some pretty good hosts that come in at less than $5/month, but the catch is that you can only get rates like that if you commit to a year or two years worth of hosting. As for registering the domain name, most hosts will throw it in for free or neglible cost with a hosting contract.

As cheap as disk space and bandwidth are these days, I doubt you'll find a plan that's incapable of running small forums.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    As Tal said, with a SPS account, you get web hosting and a database. I installed the free PHP Nuke forums on my site, but half-way though setting it up, I lost intrest of having a forums... Who would waste time on my forums when they're being hosted by the BoM? :hmm: :rolling:

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Go with SPS, seriously. It's already hard to find such hosting for that kind of money and you can't overestimate the bonus of actually knowing your host, let alone it being someone so dependable.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.