1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hostile Nickademus in Auril's Temple

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by j7n, Dec 21, 2019.

1. j7n Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have encountered an unexpected situation that completely prevents me from advancing in the story.

I am in the temple of Auril in the area with an electric gun and mirrors. After talking to a man who said that he built the temple, I confronted a spirit in the room behind a "shadow" and spoke to him its true name as instructed by the man. After the spirit came out as a whirlwind, some clerics and monsters attacked, then the altar got quiet. I then turned back to finish the quest and get some experience.

The man (Nickademus) was not in his room anymore, and therefore I looted his cabinet. I maybe shouldn't have done that. There was a spherical gem in it. I returned to the previous level and told the man in prison that the entity in the altar has been dealt with. I also had a quest for disposing of Aeij-Kllenz't from creatures called Abishai. Seeing no way into their room behind the Dais key circle, I exited to the outdoors and entered from the side door as I've done before. The creatures were freed and teleported away.

I then returned to the painting of Kuldahar and tried a fresh option to see if I could get into the locked rooms on the altar level, and maybe find a priestess of Auril. I was sent into the "game room". Upon entering, I could hear spells being cast and was attacked by some monsters and a wizard. There was no dialogue at this point. After I killed them, I was told that a character critical to completing the game was killed and I should reload. What?? I reloaded to a state before going to the painting, and returned via stairs, but Nickademus attacked again with a different set of monsters.

I'm sorry for stealing from his cabinet. But this part of the script is poorly done. I should have either lost reputation or be confronted by Nickademus immediately and lost the game. Why create a battle if I lose either way?

What is going on here really?

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You are correct in that the script is poorly done. It is possible for Nickademus to not notice you stealing right away as you just saw if he has moved out of sight of it, but taking from the cabinet without permission will make him hostile, even if not instantly like it is supposed to. IIRC there was a quest where he would give you permission to take the contents. I'm sure it's in one of the longer FAQs on GameFAQs, but I don't recall as I haven't played IWD2 in several years.

j7n likes this.
  3. j7n Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I replayed from an earlier point and I see Nickademus came to check upon our battle and was standing behind a corner all the the time. I finished the temple, and I'm glad it wasn't some other unexpected issue that would come back to bite. Sometimes the game works as I'm used to, owning it with plus arrows, but not always.

Merry Christmas!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.