1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Horror in Burma

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Takara, May 6, 2008.

1. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

As it should be. It's not about the money, it's about providing service to those in need. If the Government is going to interfere with that, then we should take our money and go home. Deliver the grain to the government and let's see them stuff that in a Swiss bank account...

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Even if we deliver the grain to repressive governments, they hoard it,or they only feed it to their military, or they sell it for arms . . . . the antics of these regimes would be comical if they were not so bloody tragic. I know I'm making a contribution to the Red Cross and hoping with all my might that the victims will eventually get the aid they need.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
  4. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

True, I was thinking in terms of overall scale - and last report I heard put independent (non-Myanmar government) estimates of dead at near 100,000, so the same order of magnitude, at any rate.

I also heard on TV news - too lazy to look up source on net - that U.S. is considering air drops of aid to affected areas without permission of Myanmar government. Raises interesting questions - food bombs as act of - what? act of aid? act of violation of sovereignty? act of trespass? Myself, I would be for it, as long as the planes aren't in danger of being shot down.

5. Gnarfflinger

That's where the international community needs to focus--the needs of the people. If the government doesn't like it, ASk them about the Taliban...

6. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    The important difference being that our government at least auspiciously has the infrastructure necessary to intervene successfully.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Myanmar's junta seized U.N. aid shipments Friday meant for a multitude of hungry and homeless survivors of last week's devastating cyclone, forcing the world body to suspend further help.

The aid included 38 tons of high-energy biscuits and arrived in Myanmar on Friday on two flights from Bangladesh and the United Arab Emirates.

"All of the food aid and equipment that we managed to get in has been confiscated," U.N. World Food Program spokesman Risley said.

"For the time being, we have no choice but to end further efforts to bring critical needed food aid into Myanmar at this time," he said.

At least 62,000 people are dead or missing in Myanmar, entire villages are submerged in the Irrawaddy delta and aid groups warned that the area is on the verge of a medical disaster.

The U.N. has grown increasingly critical of Myanmar's military rulers' refusal to let foreign aid workers into the country while the junta appeared overwhelmed and more than 1 million homeless people waited for food, medicine and shelter.

"The frustration caused by what appears to be a paperwork delay is unprecedented in modern humanitarian relief efforts," Risley said. "It's astonishing."

The junta said in a statement Friday it was grateful to the international community for its assistance — which has included 11 chartered planes loaded with aid supplies — but the best way to help was just to send in material rather than personnel.

Source.

8. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    "/¤"!#%€(%¤/¤#&"!¤½!!!!

Ok.

Ok.

Military intervention anyone?

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I found this article in a Danish newspaper, which explains the junta's position.

Expert: Junta is clinging to control

The regime in Myanmar is afraid that the people will gain the courage to rebel if the country is invaded by relief workers, says expert.

What is the military junta of Myanmar thinking of?

Can't they see the huge disaster that has hit their country?

The growing number of lost lives these days and the tales of the enormous scope of the disaster seem to be sliding off the generals in Myanmar.

Control is the most important factor
    The key word to an understanding of what is happening is Control.

Only through control can they maintain their iron grip on the people.

Which is why everything else comes in second place, tells several experts that politiken.dk have spoken to.

Afraid of resistance
    »The situation in Myanmar at this time - no matter how critical it may be to the people - is, to the military junta, a matter of holding on to power at any cost. If large numbers of relief workers enter; firstly, the rest of the world will gain insight into the real scope of the disaster, and how little the military is doing to relieve the situation. But even worse: There is a risk that the people may gain courage and resist,« tells Mikael Gravers, ethnographer and assistant professor at the University of Aarhus.

It is through human contact that the people can see that there are other types of societies - with democracy and human rights.

Monks helped the victims
    The military junta has refused to let relief workers into the country. But it has, over the last two days, received a few planes with relief aid - primarily through the UN. Authorities maintain that the country itself will organize the sharing of the aid. Today the UN has confirmed that the military has confiscated all the relief aid that was sent, and for this reason decided to halt flights into the country.

»The military's absence was evident already over the weekend. It was the monks who helped people - not the military. Now they want to be the ones dealing out the good stuff and seeing to it that their own supporters are first in line,« says Mikael Gravers.

Unwanted interference
    Once the country had to open to relief workers and foreign press, reports on the country's condition would leak out in earnest. This would form the base for more critic, which in turn might start an avalanche with the people. This is why the regime keeps international society at a distance.

»They do not want to listen to the criticism from abroad. It is seen as direct insults and unwanted interference, tantamount to neocolonialism,« explains Mikael Gravers.

Suddenly they eat you
    He explains that the military junta has its own control logic which means that they choose only to see the situation from their own perspective.

»These generals have been very little abroad, and their educational level is low. They are trained soldiers and for example have next to no university degrees, which could give them a general global perspective. So they are mostly thinking from within. This is why it is almost like speaking to lions and tigers and other wild animals: You can train them, but suddenly they eat you anyway. They only have their own logic, which they stubbornly hold on to, and that logic is about control,« tells Mikael Gravers.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Apparently the UN is going to resume shipmemts.

Link

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Certainly. I'm not equating the two, merely pointing out that there are some similarities.

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Recent news on CNN, MSNBC, and others (don't have a link, though) indicates that the Junta may be hoarding the relief the US and UN have sent and are distributing rotting food to the victims. People like that make me sick.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I read in the LA Times a couple days ago that they are continuing with their export of rice and giving their own people the rice that's been flooded and rotted.

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've heard about the hoarding thing NOG referred to, but not the exporting that BTA's talking about.

This gets worse by the minute.

Oh, and another cyclone is on its way.

15. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Official sources now confirm the death toll to be almost 78,000. :(

16. Gnarfflinger

There is speculationt hat the death toll could exceed that of the Tsunami from a few years ago...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.