1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Honor

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Arabwel, Mar 14, 2003.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would like to agree with quite a bit with Arabwel, if you really want to label anything as honor it is being true to one self and do what you believe is right. This is also where the danger comes in, if you believe in honor and are very sure that what you believe is right you are willing to do the most atrocious things for example the 9/11 attacks. The reason I do not think honor exist is just that it is a matter of perception, it is not a definate thing and all too often it is just an excuse to justify all kinds of horrible deeds.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Performing horrible acts knowingly and willingly is not honourable. What's more I see the most quoted example of Roland as dishonourable. He of his own fault failed his men. Simply as it is. Risked the safety of others and the fate of the war for his own vanity. I suppose several ideas about honour have been made up by at most average intelligent people bored to the extreme who what's more didn't have many opportunities to verify their views.

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Honor is a code of behavior or conduct. To be honorable is to conduct yourself in a particular, and to interact with others in the same manner. For me, honor has always been the traditional "knightly" view:

Showing mercy - even when victory is certain. Maybe "especially" when victory is certain.

Never backing down when you believe your cause is just.

Being true to your word. If you say you will do a thing - Make damn sure it happens!

Always leave someone an "out", a way to save face.

Don't allow bullies to, er, bully ;) weaker people (or nations in some circumstances)

Unfortunately, being honorable in this day and age usually means being a pain in the ass too. Honorable people are often now seen as inflexible or intractable in dealings or negotiations. Being honorable is probably one of the most difficult ways to live. It's a high hurdle, and in the end, at least in our time, not very rewarding.

** Thus ends my rant of honor, from one who is viewed as an honorable guy...At least that's what my friends say - Hell, maybe my enemies say that too! ;) **

4. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Honor...is a concept that can be embraced only by the strong.

Leave us weak mortals out of it. We're too busy surviving to bother.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I believe in Honor, something very much along the lines that Sir Bel (and others) have already described. And it certainly seems to me that the people who embrace honor the most are exactly those people who need it to survive. It's a way of propping up your weakness when you want to give in, but you manage to carry on because It's The Right Thing To Do.

People who have surpassed the state of mere survival and abuse their power - like some politicians, clergy, or corporate execs - are generally thought to be very strong but have no honor.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    After what Rallymama said :) I think it's necessary to include some inner strength. Well, respect for others, but for yourself as well - only from a bit different perspective. One could regard this as tied to the offending-challenging mentality, but there are some differences. I hope you'll excuse me going off topic and personal, but here's a life example to illustrate those:

New Year's Eve party. The last one. A friend's girlfriend decided to leave a bit sooner. There was another guy, that friend's friend, who thought he had some 'right' to her and was making an issue of that all the time although mostly quarelling silently with that friend, so nobody considered it right to itervene. Another thought was that some year ago at a party he tried to provoke me. If he were able to offend me, the offence would be of the heavy sort (telling a jubilee celebrator to 'f* off' - in our language it includes 'go out from here' as well - places one beyond the capability to offend - especially that the latter is virtually bound not to react accordingly). I told him I was longing to see that when he moved on to
    threats (I'm known to never have accepted a challenge so far).

Anyway, at the party I'm speaking of, when I went to say goodbye to the said friend's girlfriend, he blocked my way just before the moment I was passing by - too late for me to stop and tell him to step aside I found myself stopped and his arm in the way. The arm landed on the wall and I asked him politely not to touch me again. That is my way of being honourable.

When he however started murmuring something about challenges (I suppose he was really pissed, no serious person of his age, 20, speaks such rubbish) I told him it was impossible for him to challenge me and I am not going to challenge him myself which I would normally do in some other case. So no honourable way is available for him and if he so much wishes to fight me he must attack me straight as it is (I stood there a while so that he could). He didn't. Never heard from him since that.

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Honor is boycotting a beer manufacturer because they support gun control.

Budweiser sucks.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    No thats hating Budweiser and trying to make a good excuse for it :p

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Actually, no.

That's a good reason to start hating Budweiser. I had no problems with them before I learned that from an alcoholic friend of mine.

God rest Jim's soul; he's more than likely dead by now.

It was the honorable thing to do. Carry on the tradition...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.