1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Holy Dart Wielders Batman

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by lokibeat, Dec 15, 2006.

1. lokibeat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm about to finish BG1 with my Wild Mage (verdict still out on the coolness factor, but fun nonetheless). Anyway, I'm itching to do this again and my list of run-through's included using a Monk.

I've rolled the following and suited him up accordingly, well, actually he doesn't wear armor.

18/18/16/9/15/9. For some reason I put the points in Wisdom, don't ask me why, probably better spent in Charisma. Alignment LE and + in Dagger and Darts.

I view this guy as a wicked fast dart and knife thrower who can then hold his own in melee once the opponent reaches me. I'm not sure how much damage he'll be able to take since he'll have crappy armor class for a while, but with his CN, he should be able to withstand a couple of hits while he's wailing away. Definitely a 3 or 4 position in the group behind my tanks and protecting the mages.

I'll be giving him the dagger of venom as soon as I can afford it and that will be his weapon of choice if he's not trying to stun his opponent.

He has thieving abilities but will he have a backstab multiplier?

Anyone else tried a monk through BG1? Most of the kewl attributes for Monk don't seem to kick in until about 9th level, so this looks to be an interesting challenge. This seems to be like a less effective version of a bard, if that's possible.

I haven't settled the party yet, but am going Evil. This means I'll have Edwin, Montaron & Xzar, Kagain and Viconia. I might dump Xzar for Shar-Teel since I've never played with her. This last is a pretty drastic strategy change, but I think my character neither helps nor hinders a Tank, Stealth or Magic based strategy.

Any advice?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

You might want to try using Stunning Fist with the DoV. I'm not sure if it'll work, but if it does... :evil:
    No. Think Ranger/Cleric with a Find Traps spell.
    Except that a bard can actually help the party with his song, cast a few minor spells, and take the pick-pocketing pressure off of your thief. I'd say a monk is considerably less use than a bard at these early levels, even with better THAC0 and stunning attacks.

3. rich0203 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I still haven't played both BGs through at one time(using a mod). When you kill Sarevok or finish TotSC, does it just start you at BGII, or do you have to load a character like you were just importing?

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Erm, are you talking BG Trilogy, or BG Tutu? Those are very different animals.

5. lokibeat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Okay, did a bunch of reloads to get most of my evil party together ASAP.

I've got Viconia, Shar-Teel, Kagain, Montaron (sans Xzar who foolishly charged a pack of wolves :evil: ), Charname - a LE monk and for now Imoen.

I'm heading to Nashkell to get Edwin and then see what I want to do from there.

I think I need more casting in this party. I'm thinking Tiax in place of Kagain since I like Shar-Teel. But that is so late in the game, is it worth it? Is anyone in this party worth dualing? I can't keep Imoen being that I'm evil, or is the alternative just keeping her and dualling her as I normally do with her? Is Xan worth incorporating at the expense of say Kagain? He may be worth dualling to have a backup mage and more healing.

It is definitely tough playing a monk. Pretty worthless for now though I'm hoping as his AC drops, he'll be able to do more tanking.

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

In unmodified BG1 Imoen might leave if your reputation gets too low, but she'll always rejoin immediately if you ask her.
    I don't know if this remains the same with the BG2 engine though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.