1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

HL2 Reviewed in PC Gamer

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Rednik, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Howdy pals,

Just got home only to find the latest issue of PC Gamer awaiting me, the one where Half-Life 2 is finally reviewed. I haven't read it yet, but I did skim ahead to the score, which was a 98 and PC Gamer claims, quote, "Arguably the best game ever made."

Cool Beans. I will post again once I read through the whole mag, but I am pretty excited about this.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Considering they got the exclusive on probably the most highly anticipated sequel in the last few years, giving it a score of over 95% was probably part of the contract. Still, I'm pretty sure HL2 will be a great game according to everything I've seen.

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'm just interested in one fact: when?!

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Well, PCG made a point of saying that the game is only "finished" and there was no reference to it going gold as they did when they reviewed Doom 3. So I guess the game is done, but who knows when it's coming out? There have been a lot of scandals lately.

Still, judging from the review(Which I have now read entirely), the game looks awesome. The graphics are great, and it looks like the jumping puzzles from the first HL have been replaced with physics puzzles in conjunction with the new gravity gun. There is also much more squad based action and more allies in this game, ranging from rebels to a robot called "Dog".

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

"HL2 Reviewed in--"

*End of line.* :shake:

(You should know by now that they ADVERTISE games -they do not review them.)

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I generally trust PCG, although my fav is Adrenaline Vault.

The main culprits of shameless advertising are IGN and Gamespy in my opinion. PCG is ballsy enough to give games without SUPER PARTICLE EFFECTS OMG KEWL LOL good ratings.

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Slightly offtopic...but as far as non-partial reviews go, GameRevolution is pretty good. I've gone with their reviews with my gaming purchases for the last 4 years, and I must say that the only time I was ever disappointed was with Dungeon Seige...which was pretty crappy. But that is because I hate Diablo'ish games... :rolleyes:

So yeah...GR is great.

8. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Also offtopic, but I'm thinking about getting Dungeon Siege just for Ultima V:Lazarus. That looks cool.

Edit: Hey, 500 posts!

And here are some scans of the PCG UK review of Half-Life 2.

I can't wait for this game.

[ October 16, 2004, 17:29: Message edited by: Rednik ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.