1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hillary Breaks Through

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I may sound naive here, but that comes as surprise for me. I didn't think that being a woman matters anymore, at least, in an educated country as the USA.
    You suggest that, Obama may be the right candidate for the democrats, but if being a woman is such an issue isn't being an African American another one?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm one-up on most people on the Obama issue -- I've seen him in action here in Illinois for quite a while (I even voted for him -- and I'm a conservative). I think he is the real deal. One of the few democrats I currently wholeheartedly support (even if he did mess up and turn McCain down).

But as I said in an earlier post, now is not the time. To answer Atmer, I do not think a woman or minority could be elected president for at least eight years, possibly twelve. By that point Hillary will be too old (possibly not), but Obama should be primed for election provided he doesn't do anything stupid.

3. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't get it. Why is that? She might not have been a glaring succes in her role as first wife (or senator from New York) but what terrible things did she do?

Most people seem to hold against her the attempt at health care reform. Okay, she did not succeed, but is this a reason for hate? T2Bruno's wife got the impression that Hillary was bored during Bush's great adress to Congress after 9/11. Okay, so you don't like her especially as a person, but why tear the country apart?

I mean, a lot of peple hate Bush (and his administration) for the things he did. That's sort of understandable, in my opinion. But to hate somebody for the things she tried to do but did not succeed?

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oh, it matters. A few--three?--years ago, I was at a government class at a local junior college (local meaning southern california, meaning liberal). The professor asked how many people would be unwilling to vote for a female president. Roughly half the class--including half the women--raised their hand to indicate they would not vote for a female president.

When asked to justify their position, they spouted pseudo-science that would have done Freud proud.

5. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Some things are hard to go away. Maybe I’m wishing too much, after all, it is the most iconic job in the world, second, maybe, by the Pope. The curious thing, at least according to you guys, is that neither of them are going to take a woman in any time soon.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    khaavern, I don't hate her -- I just don't think she'd be a good leader for this country. I personally don't like carpetbaggers and am astounded the people of New York would be willing to support one. But my opinion, and that of my wife, will certainly not 'tear the country apart.'

Just how is not supporting/liking Hillary tearing the country apart?

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I don't think it's curious so much as it is revealing.

8. Atmer

And you're probably right... :bad:

9. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

T2: my mention of "tearing the country apart" was in reference to Gnarff's comment a bit above on the page. the point is, while I can understand not liking Hillary, I can hardly understand the hate. It does really seem that the some Republicans are having stronger sentiments against her than some Dems against Bush. Which hardly makes sense, since Hillary's actions have pretty much been insignificant, while Bush has had 6 years to screw things up royally* :p

* no reference to "King George" intended :shake:

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Not Gnarff, Snook.

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I find it surprising that so many Americans consider gender an important issue for their president. I don't consider myself such a fan of gender equality in all things, but I see no reason whatsoever that this could be a problem for a country leader. Decades of political dealing, with all the intrigue and backstabbing there, would make any man or woman tough as nails. I mean, British conservatives practically have - or at least had - a cult for Margaret Thatcher. Sure, the US is more involved in world affairs than the UK is, but I don't think a woman president is going to make the country look less imposing or something. If she avoids the gaffes Bush makes every now and then (giving Merkel a shoulder massage was priceless), chances are she's actually going to be taken more seriously than him. Not to mention that being in charge of the US army can make even a chimp look serious...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.