1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Highest Stat Roll!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Sorvo, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

2. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Anyhoo, my all-time high total record is 98. I never tend to keep my high rolls because I become dissatisfied with the way I allocated my points. "I should have taken 17 Constitution and 10 Wisdom, instead of 16 Constitution and 11 Wisdom . . ." and so forth.

3. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Last night I rolled a very high powered Elven Ranger

Str 18/00
    Dex 19
    Con 17
    Int 16
    Wis 14
    Cha 18

very over powered if you ask me.

I am thinking about having a group of three go through all of BG1 and BG2.

My other two members would be a Eleven F/T or F/M/T and a 1/2 Half C/M or Gnome C/M.

[ August 24, 2005, 18:34: Message edited by: Silver Knight ]

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I smell something... is it, yes I think it is...

B.S.!

;)

5. Felinoid

Not necessarily, Klorox. That's only a 102, and elven rangers require 70 min, remember? :grin:

Though personally I would have min-maxed that WIS up to 18, even if it doesn't actually do anything besides Lore.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I got a similar roll once. ~100 points on an elven ranger with 18/00 strength. That's the unlikely part - getting a high roll with the 1/100 chance of maximising the exceptional strength. Coincidentally, he was the first character I completed BG1 with. Ironically, the strength couldn't have made much difference, as I remember never switching away from my trusty Composite Longbow +1 unless absolutely necessary! :shake:

*sigh* Happy days, happy days... If only I still had those old saved games... :cry:

7. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Well I have my group of 3 players that I will complete BG1 and BG2 with and here they are considering they are all close to or above 100 total points...

Race: Elf
    Class: Ranger
    Str 18/00
    Dex 19
    Con 17
    Int 16
    Wis 14
    Cha 18

Race: Gnome
    Class: Mage/Thief
    Str 10
    Dex 18
    Con 16
    Int 19
    Wis 14
    Cha 18

Race: Gnome
    Class: Cleric/Mage
    Str 18
    Dex 18
    Con 16
    Int 19
    Wis 17
    Cha 10

Here is how I am going to distrub the tombs I find in BG1

Str - Gnome C/M to get the 19 str.
    Dex - Gnome M/T to get the 19 dex
    Con - Elf Ranger for more HP
    Int - Gnome M/T
    Wis - All 3 goes to C/M
    Cha - Gnome M/T

Let me know what you think of the three characters that will be my part in both BG1 and BG2.

The highest I have ever rolled is my solo character who is nearly at her max level in BG1.

Charname: Natasha
    Race: Elf
    Class: F/M/T
    Str 18/12
    Dex 19
    Con 17
    Int 18
    Wis 13
    Cha 18

Total 103 points and that is without any tombs. Once I have her at max level I am going to to through all the main quest as fast as possible. I leveled her up fairly quick to a 3rd level mage by finding 2 scrolls of protection from petrification early on. What I did is open up the area where the basslisks are and used one scroll to scribe and the other in my quick item slock. What I did from there is use the quick item and went basslisk hunting. I went from level 1/1/1 to level 3/3/4 in no time. After that I cleared out a few other areas around the friendly arms in. Now I am level 4/4/5 and about to go up another levl with my fighter. The weapon of choice right now is my Composite Bow and I have yet to open up Beregost or any area south of that. Can't wait to have her into BG2 with her god like stats.

8. Felinoid

My current F/M/T is 7/8/9 (boy that sounds like a bad joke :shake: ):
    STR 18/84
    DEX 19
    CON 17 (16+tome)
    INT 18
    WIS 14 (13+Durlag's tome)
    CHA 18 (17+tome)
    Starting total: 101

I would never even consider taking a solo character with 18/12 STR. :rolleyes:

@Silver Knight:
    I suppose it's too late to adjust your elven ranger (getting 18/00 again would be a chore) but I say the M/T could use a little work. If both of your arcane spellcasters are gnome illusionists, you'll never be able to cast Necromantic spells, so I'd go with an elf.

Here's my version:

Elven M/T
    STR 18 (for extra carrying capacity)
    DEX 19 (20 at end)
    CON 16
    INT 18 (19 at end)
    WIS 10 (doesn't really matter, as the C/M will be the one casting the [Limited] Wish spells)
    CHA 10 (you've already got a high CHA leader in the ranger)

Aside from that (and giving the CHA tome to your leading ranger), it looks great. :thumb:

9. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Felinoid what level can a F/M/T achieve with the TOTSC installed. I thought it was only level 6/6/7 or can you actually go higher?

As for my solo character I am first going to complete BG1 with her and than go through with my group. I like your idea but I will have to see what I can roll up for a eleven M/T.

10. Felinoid

Yeah, the limit is supposed to be at 6/6/7, but I never much cared for the XP cap (especially when I'm going solo). :D

11. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Oh that is why. But if you are converting your character to BG2 why should it matter if you are maxed out early on anyways....

12. Felinoid

13. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Oh about my solo character the only reason why I didn't care about the str early on in the game is that she is specialized in a bow and that is the main weapon I use. Once I have the returning throwing axe it will be a different story.

14. Klorox

Come to think of it, this would be a really fun character to play, as it's stats are easily good enough to make it throug the whole series (and even better with all of the Tomes, Potions, and other items that increase stats). I'd bet you could solo the entire series with this character(the hardest part would be the beginning of BGI IMHO)!

15. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Those stats, as is, give no bonus to anything. no bonus to either hit, damage, armor, ranged attacks, hitpoints, etc. (this is one of the things that anoys me the most about 2E, technically no difference between a STR stat of 8 and 14) Still it is a quite average total if you rolled dices normally. That stat would actually have been quite interesting in 3E :-/

I am still more impressed by a friend of mine that played an elf wizard with something along the lines of:

STR 3
    DEX 6
    CON 2
    INT 9
    WIS 6
    CHA 8

wich i belive is the minimum stats for an elf wizard. He got pretty far as well.

16. Felinoid

:heh: You picked the wrong stat to make an example of. Even though only half of what the strength stat does is implemented in the BG series, there is even one difference between STR 8 & 14. Namely, carrying capacity; 50 lbs. vs. 120 lbs. However, your point is well taken, as there is no difference between DEX 7-14 (13-14 if you count effects on thieving skills) and CHA 8-12.

Not quite. Believe it or not, you have to roll a seven or higher for CON in order to be an elf. That seven would be reduced to six by racial adjustment, but couldn't go lower unless he lost several familiars. Minimum stats for a starting elven mage are:
    STR 3
    DEX 7
    CON 6
    INT 9
    WIS 3
    CHA 8

Still very impressive, as he wouldn't be able to carry much more than a staff and spell components while still being able to move. Combine that with an average 1.75 HP/level, an AC of 10, and a spell failure chance of 50%. You get someone who would normally have died at the first opportunity. Many congratulations to your friend. :thumb:

@Klorox:
    Ultimately, the minimal elven ranger that you propose playing would have no penalties or benefits from stats, except for a -10 to lore which would mean many trips to temples to identify items. Not to mention Cure Light A$$-kicking. :shake:

17. Klorox

If I play him through BGI, I'll be getting a bonus HP/Level. :D

18. Felinoid

@Klorox:
    At the end of BG1 he'd have:
    STR 14 (90 lbs. -> 120 lbs.)
    DEX 14 (no change)
    CON 15 (+1 HP/level)
    INT 9 (no change to lore)
    WIS 17 (+7 lore)
    CHA 9 (no change)
    (Looks like a good candidate for a BG2 NPC cleric; maybe you should make a mod. ;) )

Level 8 (11 w/o XP cap)
    HP - Ave: 52 (64.5); Max: 88 (105)
    Lore: 5 (8)

19. Klorox

Cool, thanks Felinoid! Now, should I make him an Archer or Stalker...? ;)

ON EDIT: Ok, I started this character, but it didn't go like I had thought.

When rolling stats, my CON couldn't be lowered below a 15, but if I rolled a 14, it could stay that low. And my DEX could be lowered all the way to 12, which is too low for a Ranger.

Weird. I ended up starting the stats the way they're supposed to be.

I then tried rolling stats in BGII, and they worked the way they were supposed to. A 14 CON and a 13 DEX were the minimums.

[ August 28, 2005, 09:12: Message edited by: Klorox ]

20. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Felinoid: I don't think this is relevant.

A mage doesn't need good stats at all though lowering every stats is quite a challenge -especially because of the high AC.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.