1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Heroes of Might and Magic...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Ray192, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

So, the PS2 game isn't truly a Heroes game? that's interesting to learn [begins shaking fist at PS2 game and cursing at it.] So, if I ever get the chance (and more importantly the cash) which game should I pick up Heros III or Heroes IV? and the reason for getting either game?

2. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

I'll strongly suggest that you forget about Heroes IV as it suxxxx big time :mad: It's just too unballanced.I dunno how to say it as a Heroes fan but the last in the series is just moneymaker for me :( .They pretend to start "something new", but all they've done is one complete mess.Just take Heroes III with it's 2 expansions if possible - "Armageddon's Blade" and "Shadow of death".I can assure you you'll never regret it - at least no frend of mine that has this one is dissapointed.

3. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

***CURSING AND FAUL LANGUAGE ARE USED IN THIS POST***

I will support AlexGK and many others, Heroes IV are black sheep in the whole family of Heroes, except his older brother "Extra Black Bastard Sheep" Might & Magic IX (i hope admin. will understand my anger). I don't know what happend to both series. Heroes IV is a three step backward, even before Heroes I. I started from Heroes I and played throuh the rest of the series. Now i don't play them so much, since most of my friends, as myself, don't have so much free time to spend whole weekend playing Heroes (those were times). But if we ever broke our legs, we would shurely (sp?) play Heroes part III. I&II were good for their time but, right now part III is the very best. Go for it!

NOTE: Avoid Might & Magic IX at all costs! Better gave money to the rich (ok, poor)

4. Atreides Gems: 7/31

So, it's Heroes III then, next time I'm at Best Buy, Circuit City, or EB I'll take a look around and see if they have the game.
    I've already heard things about Might and Magic IX and plan to avoid it like the plague!

5. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

C'mon, ToTaL Heroes IV is a bit better than Heroes I :D :mad: :D

As for might and Magic IX - the stinkin' stupid @#$$$@ game didn't even run on my comuter :mad:

6. ToTaL Gems: 12/31

AlexGK:

Well... Yes and No! From current (present time) point of view, Heroes IV are better than Heroes I, in graphic, number of units, number of events, system of playing, battles. But i look at it like this, at the time the game was actual, how much time did i spend it playing and how much did I enjoy it. That goes in favor to Ist part. If i should now choose to play I or IV, i would choose IV, i admit, but hardly, i wait for Master of Orion III and that is another story!

Ok, there is one thing and that is: maybe i have all in all played too much Heroes (that can happen too :) ) so when i played IV i was all ready tired of that game. I have played AEtherlords and had similar problem, i like the game when you build your empire, but i hate when you finish and have to start all over again on the second level (there are exceptions but rare). My best advice for the game would be add on that would allow XXXXXXL maps which would be like whole campaign. With riots rising problems and powerfull armies that would invade in later stage so it wouldn't be easier with half of the map conquered, but heavier.

But there is one fact: Heroes I is better than IV because, after the Ist part, which was good, they made 3 sequels (+ add ons). We must now wait to see how far will the series go, but i think that in NewWorldComputing realized that we had enough Heroes for a while!

[ December 02, 2002, 23:23: Message edited by: ToTaL ]

7. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

Master of Orion is delayed unfortunately, you are not the only one who waits for it :) AFAIK the new release date is somewhere 20-25.thing is after NWN,Heroes IV, and Might and magic IX I seem to have lost my good faith in succesfull sequels :D :rolleyes: :D Let's hope that MOO 3 will not join the @#%#$@ games this year.

BTW:Speaking of Homm 3 I actually started to play it again, but I seem to miss a good map :( If you have any favorite one send it to me pls - on mail or something..... size of the map does not have matter.

PS:One can never have enough heroes, if you ask me.My girlfrend just saw me playing it again and asked me how can't I get bored with it.You know what I said?"How long are we together?2 years?Am I bored of you?" :D

PS 2:I found it!! One thing H4 is better than H3!!! You can make your ranged army to attack in melee :D :D

[ December 03, 2002, 01:18: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

8. Atreides Gems: 7/31

Hey guys, guess what I found tonight? Heroes of Might and Magic Platnum Edition! It has the first three games and all of their expansions! and only $30 for all of it (of course I probably got over charged considering where I purchased it.) So, seeing as you guys are the resident Heroes experts, what game should I play first? any advice for the newbie? anything I should know before I get going?

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Sorry to break it to you ToTal but last I heard NWC will be working on Heroes V very soon.

10. ToTaL Gems: 12/31

Just sit back, relax and enjoy! Great thing IMHO is that the game is relatively slow (that is called "turn based"). System is very easy and when you learn to play one sequel, you won't have problems with others. For learning, i think part II is the best. Part I doesn't have so many details or options. But, really you can start with III and still understand it! Call your best friends over to your house and start a HOT SEAT "multiplayer" and you won't regret it. That is the best part!

AlexGK:
    Great answer! :D

BTW. I was at MOOIII official pages when they had conter and it said "7 hours" till release and i thought: "Whow, this is it, it is coming!" I was already imaging how i would say: "MOOIII is one of the rare games that are released without delays..." And here i am, happy that i will spend my Christmas holydays in warm house, outside is night but everything is white, whole family is at home and i have no school to worry about! Oh, yes and MOOO on my comp! :p

Apeman: We can only hope that it will be bettar. I still have hope that heroes series can be improved.

[ December 03, 2002, 12:48: Message edited by: ToTaL ]

11. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

Yup, there will be Heroes V.But first they'll release second expansion of H4. :mad: Heroes V must be actually sequel to Heroes 3, while they say Heroes 4 is sequel to Heroes 2.

@Atreides,
    Are you sure you get ALL of the expansions for Heroes 3 too?Because I think that's Heroes 1,2 and 3 in one pack - without expansions.In that case there is a pack of Heroes 3 with it's two expansions - take this instead.You can take the first two games later....

One more thing - I found actually second thing where Heroes IV is better :mad: than Heroes 3 - They have returned this difference (from Heroes 2) between crature speed and movement rate.Damn I miss this in the third game.....

12. Atreides Gems: 7/31

At AlexGK:
    The game I picked up yesterday (OK, last night) has all three games and their respective expansions. For Heroes III you can read the manuals for the expansions (so it's logical to assume that they've included them.)

13. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I also bought the Platinum Edition a month and a half ago and it does include the expansions. In fact, here's what's included:
    - HoMM
    - HoMM II
    - HoMM II The Price of Loyalty
    - HoMM III The Restoration of Erathia
    - HoMM III Armageddon's Blade
    - HoMM III The Shadow of Death

On the box, they promote it as "Contains a total of 6 games", which in my opinion is not entirely true since it includes 3 expansion packs.

I obviously started with the first HoMM but did not go very far in the Campaign game since I tought there was no evolution in the game and that it was more of the same, except for the maps of course.

I am now into the second HoMM and find it OK, but not extraordinary. Maybe this is due to the evolution in the gaming industry since the game originally came out. I will however give it a chance and perservere 'till the end before getting into the third game, HoMM III.

I also have Warcraft III beside my computer which still has to be played. I have yet to see what it looks like, but I'd like to have your opinion with regards to both games and the pros and cons of each. Thanks. :cool:

14. Atreides Gems: 7/31

This could be a bit off topic but here goes: the Heroes series is turned based strategy while War3 is real time strategy. Actually, War3 isn't as "strategic" as it is more "tactical." There's a great deal of micro management in the game as opposed to the Heroes games where you are indeed controlling entire armies. Does this help a bit?

15. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Is that serious about 4 being sequel to 2 and 5 will be sequel to 3? because now you say it I see some things alike between the two!

if it is, they butchered the sequel of 2 which was IMHO the best heroes.

On the other hand if 5 will be sequel to 3 there is still hope. :o

16. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

Oficially that's what they say - Heroes 2 goes with 4 and the new Heroes 5 they will start (if not already started) will be a Heroes 3 sequel.No more fighting heroes I hope!So waiting.
    Heroes 2 was sweet indeed (Loved Vampires, Titans, and Dragins, not to mention Phoenix) but it's unballance is ... ,well, great.AI was not so good too - comps always attacked my strongest ranged units first.So 50 Black Dragons attack 1 centaur and not my 40 Black Dragons.Stupid.... Spells work also better in H3.Two great, one average, one weak and two definetly useless towns... Nah Heroes 3 is just the best game of the series, perhaps the best game ever.For me that is :D Now I'm working on my new map it'll be finished soon and it'll be terrific.Shame I can't post it here :D

As for WarCraft III - it's a good game especially the single campaigns.But aside of the good graphic StarCraft Brood War was definetly better RTS IMHO.It's just not possible to rate Real Time Strategy (RTS) and Turn Based Strategy (TBS) as they are totally different types of games.

@stormhand,
    Not entirely true really but you can count Shadow of Death as a single game, as it's (after Brood War) the second best expansion ever.Without expansions Heres 3 is not the same game.So i can give them say at leas 4 differet game out of 6 :D :shake: :D

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Mail it to me when it's done, I'm always on the lookout for a good heroes 3 map. :cool:

I tried making one a few times but never finished it for some reason, I lose interest during the end.

Playing never bores though :)

18. Atreides Gems: 7/31

I started playing with the map editor for Heroes III and am impressed with it. I was expecting a really annoying editor but am surprised at its ease of use. I just wish that there were more conditions for victory or a way to link maps together (like in Starcraft, there's a trigger that when you complete a map in a custom made campaign it will load the next map in the series.)

19. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

"(like in Starcraft, there's a trigger that when you complete a map in a custom made campaign it will load the next map in the series.) "

you can just make a custom campaign you know.

20. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I was not very clear with my question with regards to differences between HoMM and Warcraft III; more to the point, I was curious to know if there was more "evolution" in the Warcraft gameplay. I find that in HoMM, what you see and manage from the start will be the same things available throughout the game without much change.

Is that a little more clear?!? :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.