1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Herman Cain's 9-9-9 Plan

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Cain's argument in the linked article is that the income tax by itself would be less, but I agree for an apples-to-apples comparison we should look at payroll taxes as well. It's hard to know exactly what the payroll taxes would be, because it's on taxable income. If they have money taken out for a health care plan, or a 401k, those are pre-tax dollars, but even if we take worst case scenario, and say they don't have any pre-tax money taken out, it's $3,725, which makes it nearly identical to the $4,500 of Cain's plan, but then we haven't taken into account the 9% sales tax on everything they buy, so it's still way more.

I don't know if capital gains would be considered income, but if it was, you're still getting a break - 9% as opposed to 15%.

I didn't understand the part about the car either - to me whether you financed the car or paid cash, it would be 9% sales tax, which would suck a lot.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The federal income tax for a car, house etc. would suck a lot only if you were getting taxed less than 18% from the feds before (assuming the money was accrued after the tax change took place).

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Maybe loan payments aren't taxable under Cain's plan.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This is awesome:

9-9-9 From SimCity?

If it's true ... wow ... talk about destroying credibility....

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, that would explain why he keeps calling his wife "Viconia"

6. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I've heard 2 criticisms of this plan.

1. (as has been said already) the poor would pay more taxes and the rich would pay less

2. It would encourage the formation of a black market. I don't understand the details but the European "value-added" sales tax requires good record keeping that makes it hard to cheat. While federal, state, and local sales taxes recorded in a simplistic manner may simply encourage people not to report in order to gain advantage.

I don't totally understand the detail yet of the 2nd criticism but what do you think? One more avenue for organized crime?

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I'm not sure. Most states already have state sales taxes, so if this caused an outlet to organized crime, I'd imagine that they would already be able to take advantage of it without needing a federal sales tax in addition to it.

8. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

The US sales tax is only added at the end by the shops when selling to the final customers. This money is then sent back to the government. The European sales tax is also charged between companies at each stage. Trees, timber, door, customer for example. Companies send back the tax they charge but get a deduction for the tax they pay. It's harder to fiddle as if you want to not declare sales you made to customers then you can't feasibly claim your own tax back that you paid as the input / output comparison will be all wrong.

In the US case it'd be easier to buy and sell goods off the books. In Europe your supplier will be charging the VAT properly and submitting the returns. If you don't declare goods you've bought you can't claim the tax back that you paid on them and your returns won't match that of your suppliers.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Cripes - then you guys are effectively paying double whatever the sales tax is, because if the stuff you buy at stores was already taxed, that cost is being passed on to you.

10. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

No, the businesses can claim back the tax they pay. So the end result is just the same. It is a cash flow issue for them though and there's more bookkeeping.

11. Splunge

Media:
    The European system sounds much like the Canadian system. The idea is that only end users bear the tax, but to avoid forcing sellers to determine whether they are selling to an end user or not, they charge the tax to everyone, and the purchasers can claim the tax back if they aren't an end user (non-end users have to pre-qualify with the goverment by registeriing). This is a bit of an over-simplification of the system, but it gives the general idea.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.