1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help Me Buy My First HDTV

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I imagine it's because of the differing original analog TV standards. NTSC (in the US) is ~60 fields per second while PAL (in the Netherlands) is 50 fields per second. So these new rates are double the signal field rate (for whatever reason; I guess interpolation between fields).

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Bingo. If you were to try and use a 120Hz tv with a PAL broadcast, the timings would be off. We just learned about that stuff 3 weeks ago.

DR, I think the extra cost for the 120Hz refresh rate is *well* worth it. :thumb:

One funny thing I read in PC Mag or PC World (forgot which), they said the new Samsung 8000 series have a refresh rate of 240MHz....and apparently, 240MHz is only 4 times faster than most TVs... :skeptic: I know they meant 240Hz but It's still funny that the typo slipped through on a column on the coolest tech coming this year. :lol:

3. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Errr, i'm not sure of the model number. Was only a 32" for my room. A457, or something?

Either way, it's a great TV, and i'm very happy with it :) Though you're looking for a pretty big TV, and 1080p, so this wouldn't be any good for you. Still, Even though I can't recommend an individual TV, I can very much recommend the brand.

Also, we've got a lovely Sharp Aquos 52" at work, and it looks pretty stunning.

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Just go out there and see which TV provides a great picture and than start looking at its stats and price to find one that fits you. Sitting at your desk chair writing about it is like finding out if you like a new flavor of ice cream without actually tasting it; it is pointless to write about it. Go out and see what is out there and find one you like. Who cares what brand it is; as long as you are happy with your purchase that is all that matters.

The fact is most no-name/unknown brand name are made in same factories as the name brands; they are just as good as the name brands but cheapers.

Vizio started off as a unknown brand back in 2006; I could of picked up a 42" 1080P for $100 cheaper than my Panasonic 32" 720P back than but didn't because I didn't trust the brand; a week after I purchase my TV did I actually see it in person and loved the picture quality and price. I say forget the reviews and the spec sheets; go out and find one that you like at your price range and within your budget.

5. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

To correct Merlanni a little:

The gold plated HDMI cable is only better if you aim to wear it around your neck as bling.

It's a digital audio/video connector, the gold plating does very little.

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    True but whit real long connections the cheap cables fail. The goldplated ones are just the expensive ones that will work whit the real long connections. The thin layer of gold is used to prevent oxidation, noting more.

Between your blu ray player and the tv any will do.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    We're still about a month or two out from actually purchasing, but more than likely we'll be going with the 46" Samsung 650 series. I've been able to find it several places online for about $500 or so cheaper than you can get it in a retail store, so that's likely what I'll end up doing. That is - if shipping costs don't kill me...I've never had any thing that large shipped to me before, so I have no idea of the charges.

8. Kitrax

Media:
    Keep an eye out for free shipping deals. When I bought mine, I got free shipping *with* white glove services. Unfortunately, my wall mount had the standard VESA mounting plate, and my TV is too big/heavy for that, so they unpackaged it and set it up on the floor...but if I would have had the rails, they would have installed them and hoisted the TV on to the wall for me. :D

As for finding a better price online than in-store...well, that's just obvious. :p Brick-and-mortar stores *always* charge more. Check pricegrabber.com at least once or twice a week. :thumb:

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Not always true about online vs. the store; when I purchased my TV it was cheaper at Best Buy than online or any where for that matter. I recommend checking out newegg (supporting this site as well) for free shipping if you decide to order it online as the cost of shipping a TV that large can be quite expensive, $50-150.

Also, if you have a Bank of America Credit Card you can get cash back on your purchase.

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Very good to know. I will likely go through NewEgg.

Actually Kit, on your recommendation I went to my local CostCo and found a 42" Sharp Aquos for about $50 cheaper instore than I could find the same TV online (brand new, not a floor model). So while Best Buy, I agree, will almost always mark up noticably, retail stores in general aren't necessarily always more expensive; you just have to keep an eye out. And yes, as you say, watch PriceGrabber religiously. :)

11. Kitrax

Media:
    Costco is special since it's a membership based wholesale warehouse thingamajig. :p

12. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I have a BJ membership card and check their regularly for specials on TV as I am in the market for a 50-56" TV. After I re-arange my living room I will have roughly 10-12' distance between my sofa and TV.

13. Death Rabbit

Media:
    New dillemma!! :o

Fry's has the Samsung LN46A850 on sale right now for an extremely reasonable $1398 (the best price I've seen, even for lesser models like the 650). But after seeing all the shiny new LED's, especially those made by Samsung, I'm tempted to wait for another price drop and get one of those. Are LED's significantly better? They SEEM to be, but I've only seen them in the stores and haven't had a chance to goof around with the settings. And the difference seems to be pretty slight in terms of brightness and picture quality (especially in the higher-end 8 and 9 series of Samsung's). But still - I'd potentially be paying 300-500 more for an LED version, and I'm not sure it's worth the extra dough.

Argh.

14. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Led use less power. Experiment whit the viewing angle. Remember. tv's have a shop settings pack to look good under shop lights.

Useless to say to run the typenumbers trough google for reviews.

Wiki says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_TV

15. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

I would not buy a HDTV without LED backlights anymore, they are simply better than the CCFLs.

16. Kitrax

Media:
    LED TVs are awesome! Samsung LEDTVs are really cool because the LEDs actually turn off on a dark scene...so the screen is literally black...not some dark shade of grey, but actual black. :thumb: That's just not possible with LCDs or plasmas. Plus, contrast ratios are off the charts...IIRC, 50,000+ :eek:
    Another thing I remember reading about is that LED TVs are able to reproduce a wider range of colors that neither LCD nor plasmas can achieve.

I really wanted a Samsung 8 series, but they're just so damn expensive! :bad:

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's a little misleading because Samsung's LED TV brand are LCDs... just with LED backlighting.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    DR - Did you get your TV yet? I just got a Samsung UN40B6000VF for $1298. $800 off retail price plus no sales tax during a Labor Day sale.

19. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Hmm, not yet. The wife and I decided to spend the saved money on a fancy LG washer and dryer set instead (what can I say...she's a freak for laundry). But thanks for that referral. I'm glad we waited, since the prices of LED sets are dropping like crazy.

Could you give me a review? I've been eyeballing the 7000 for quite some time now...

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    CNET has a pretty nice review. Mainly they didn't like the price and the shiny screen, plus they thought the LEDs turning off during some fade-to-blacks was distracting.

My old 32" Maganvox finally gave up the ghost a few months ago, so I waited for the Labor Day sales to replace it. I moved my older 42" Vizio 720p up to my bedroom and replaced it in the living room with the Samsung.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.