1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help an SP Member in Need

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    obviously, not everybody here can afford to contribute.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Saddly this is my case...
    This is almost my situtation, here in Argentina job is very hard to find, I got to the very bottom and thankfuly I have friends who could supported me. But even when all things seems to be against one, have to keep fighting. Sometimes we see that bad things only seems to happen to good people but in the end we will win the fight. And that's what happen to me.
    I posted something about here, because the good people I see every day here, because all the things I enjoy here (by downloading files, posting) I have the need to help anyway I can, and that's what I'll do as soon as I can.
    Just hang on Spellbound, fortune will smile upon you sooner than you think.
    Best regards

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

That is a pretty regular situation for a student (or in other words: "monthly") -for some at least. ;) Have you thought of finding jobs outside US -like from EURES? Fat chance, but you never know...

3. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Thanks everyone. The job hunt still continues.. *sigh*... I have 3 possibilities currently. One is a professorship at a small college in Mississippi (initial interview went well), another is a project manager position with T-Mobile (interview was today -- and I felt it was so-so) and lastly, I have an interview tomorrow with a technical recruiting firm for a recruiter position (total career change). So we'll see...I'm trying to stay positive, but I've been down this interview road before -- it's all meaningless until I get an offer. I'll keep you all posted.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Good luck -I know the pressure too well.

5. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

We all feel for you. I just went through a bout of unemployment myself, and I pulled through. You will too. :thumb:

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Spelly, I have been out of the loop for a while -- I just saw this today. Since my divorce I have been strapped, so no help there, but let me say I know what it's like to be scratching the bottom of the money barrel. You are a professional and a sweetie, and I wish you nothing but the best. Stay strong. You have a lot of people from all over the world behind you.

7. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I only just saw this post and I feel so bad for you. You're a great person, Spell, you're intelligent and caring, you definitely have what it takes to find a job.

Maybe though, if you've run out of possibilities in your region, you could consider moving to find a suitable job elsewhere, as an "if the job doesn't come to you, you go to the job" thing.

No matter what comes, put on your lovely smile and know that at times you've got it rough, things can only improve. :)

8. Spellbound

Well, everyone..... GUESS WHAT??? :D :D :D
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

I HAVE A JOB!!!!!! :D :D

Yes, it's true -- finally! I have accepted an Associate Professorship at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. They made a very sweet offer that I couldn't refuse (of course we all know that even if it hadn't been so sweet, I still couldn't have refused it -- but it truly was exceptional). I start work on August 23rd. I'm in the midst of packing currently, then will get on the road on Wednesday of this coming week to drive 2,500 miles approx. That should put me in Tahlequah by next weekend. The school is quite beautiful -- old brick buildings with carved steeples and spires sitting on spectacular grounds with huge oaks and hardwoods everywhere. The town is very, very tiny (14,000), but somewhat near larger towns of Muskogee and the city of Tulsa. It is sitting directly in the middle of Tornado Alley, so I'll have to keep my eyes out for spotting those. It's a big move for me and I'll definitely miss Seattle to some extent (though not people-clogged roadways) -- going from 5+ million people down to 14,000 will be quite a culture shock. ;)

I wanted to take this last time to thank everyone here who helped me so much in my time of need. I will never, ever forget the generosity shown by each of you -- and will be paying back each of you over the next few months. Without you guys, I can tell you, I would not have survived this. At the best I would have been homeless -- but because of you, that didn't happen. I will never forget that.

And so... with that... it's ON TO OKLAHOMA!!! (*Spelly sings "Oklahoma... where the wind comes sweeping down the plain... Oklahoma! OK!) :D

9. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

:roll: Congrats, spelly :D

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I have to say, the people here are truly exceptional.

Good fortune to you Spelly.

11. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I only now discovered this thread. :(
    So glad it turned out all right, Spellbound. I really am. When I read your words in Tals post it went straight to my heart.

Sadly, even if I had seen it earlier I couldnt have helped in a financial way. I am sometimes not far form asking my parents for support myself when bigger bills come in like insurrance, taxe etc.
    Good luck to you.

I cant say how great it is that the people of SP helped out here. Tal has a community he can be truly proud of. This is outstanding. Impressive.

12. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Wonderful!
    I really feel happy for you spellbound - my heartfelt congratulations.
    Erm, one (selfish) concern comes to mind though - will you be able to get a decent net connection and come 'round SP at times?
    Either way, congratulations and I hope you become very happy in your new house and job.
    :borg:

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ooooooooooooooooooooooklahoma....good stuff. Watch out for tornadoes. Good on ya, Spelly. Watch out, students! :p

14. Spellbound

Thanks everyone! And... yes... they do have cable and DSL there, I guess because of the uni dominating the town. Hehe, when I first got a look at the place, my future boss, who was driving, turned to me and said "Don't worry...they have phones here." Then he went on to tell me about the ISPs in the vicinity. ;)

15. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Yay! congrats Spelly :)

That's indeed good to hear :)

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    That's wonderful. As for the tornado zone, I have it on reliable information that you are absolutely safe as long as you don't live in a trailer park. :)

17. NaeVa Banned

Yay!!!!!!!

Go Spelly!

(Yes, I know I already congratulated you yesterday.)

WHEE!!!

18. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Congratulations Spelly, I'm so glad things have worked out.

Good luck in Oklahoma.

Edit: To anyone who saw my duplicate posts, that wasn't a deliberate effort to spam. The 'Add Reply' button seemed to take a really long time to respond, and it seems like I got a little impatient. :rolleyes:

19. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Way to go Spelly. Knew you had it in you. :thumb:

And its not even a job at Der Wienerschnitzel! Good thing too, you might have actually figured out what was in those things.

20. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Congrats Spelly!

All's well that ends well. :)

Be easy on the students, ok? ;)

[ August 16, 2004, 18:48: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.