1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

heavy metal concept!

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Cúchulainn, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Wait, we have Swedish metal now? Is it just me, or are there more genres than bands in heavy metal?

And if so, what is Clawfinger, possibly the only metal band I listen to.

2. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Half of all the quality metal in the world is Swedish/Finnish/Norwegian and surrounding regions, IMO. (I'm thinking Dimmu Borgir, Immortal, Emperor, Dark Tranquillity, etc.)

Aaahhh, a Belgian band! I think they would be classified as some sort of nu-metal/metalcore.

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Err, no Clawfinger is Swedish, not Belgian. I am about 99.9% that they are.

The only exception is that one of the members is made in England, but still, he's born in Sweden. ;)

4. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Strange, I could've sworn they were Belgian, but I'll take your word on it :)

5. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Gothenburg death metal is a name to a type of death metal that is a lot more melodic than the normal...and the genre was "created" by a swedish band, At the Gates, and they were from...yes you got it...Gothenburg :D Since then a lot of bands in Gothenburg tried to do the same (In Flames, Dark Traquility, etc...).

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Portugal has some great metal bands these days.

7. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Only good portugese band I can think of is Moonspell. Care to share some names?

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I wonder where Opeth and Edge of Sanity fit in. More fine Swedish death metal of a non-Gothenburg non-Stockholm vein. If that makes any sense.

9. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Opeth leans to progressive metal with some straces of death sometimes. I don't think they fit anywhere in a group.

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Sirius, Demonarch, Malevolence are some great Portuguese bands that come to the top of my head at the moment.

11. Laertis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Funny, i'm from Portugal and don't know those bands :D
    We have some good metal in Portugal, the only problem is that with the exception of Moonspell they can't get out of Portugal.
    Thanatoschizo (this is very good indeed), Ramp, Tarantula, etc... all good stuff from here.

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Demonarch are members of Moonspell but take a more black metal direction to Moonspell's more gothic styling. I have never heard the bands that you mentioned but I shall check them out when I get home.

What about Spain's Mago de Oz? - they seem to be huge in Spain but I never heard them until a Spanish friend recommended them to me. They are simply excellent and really know their Irish folk melodies.

13. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Mago De Oz rules, but I wish there where not so much tragic memories sticking to there music...

But I think we are going really offtopic here!

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Celtic metal - The body painted warrior's make the dragon dance to fast whistle and bodhran music until it faints with exhaustion, the warriors then argue over who gets to 'make love' to the princess in the faery glade and fight to the death.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.