1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Heart of Fury question

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Elendrile, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

While saving up to buy the latest graphics card so I can play the latest games I'm taking a stroll down memory lane. My question is: Is there any way to play in HoF mode without it being on Insane setting? I've gone through HoF before but I was forced into cheesey tactics or ones I simply didn't like to complete the game. Taking away the double damage from Insane seems the game would be a little more enjoyable for myself.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I found the Heart of Fury mode in this game to be absurd. When your whole high level party starts to get wasted by a pack of goblins, you know it's time to call it a day. I'm sure that people here can suggest some interesting tactics but, to me, it just wasn't worth the effort. Sorry.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Heart of Fury is beyond insane. The normal difficulty settings don't actually apply.

It is supposed to be manically difficult and requires specific tactics to get by (which make it easier). Normal hack 'n' slash tactics don't tend to work.

Two phrases that will get you through HoF easily are:
    - Improved Invisibility, and
    - Summon Undead.

A HoF Apocalytic Boneguard summoned by a 25th level cleric mows down most of the monsters at the start of the game.

4. Dias Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I haven't played through Hof mode yet, and I'm still playing a party that's designed to do just that, and then some. But, from what I've read and what I think, HoF mode seems to be the most enjoyable and challenging aspect of the game. I mean what would the game be like if you could just finish it in a week? You wouldn't wanna play it again knowing that your party would just mow down the opposition.

And besides HoF mode has other cool stuff, like improved item drops and it says that it will give higher experience to your characters. A band of goblins torturing your high-level party isn't bad, it's a challenge! :)

5. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

People, I'm NOT looking for strategies. As I've said I've been through HoF before and know what starategies to use. I'm talking about when you go to Config and enable HoF it automatically locks the game on Insane setting, so not only are you fighting beefed up opponents, but they're doing double damage. Is there anyway to play HoF but on a lower setting? I found HoF rather boring because of the tactics I was forced to use and am hoping that if I can get enemies to do normal damage it will open up more tactics that will make the game more enjoyable.

6. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Nop.

HOF includes insane.

Maybe some modding could help. Bust just now there's no way.

7. Mokona=Modoki Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

That difficulty setting is just for show. It's to remind you that HoF mode is supposed to be very difficult. In reality, the enemies are more likely doing triple or higher damage.

Honestly, I don't know what you have against high AC characters. Four out of five characters in my current party can tank in the front in HoF.

8. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.