1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hardest enemy

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by inquisitor25, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Lothar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Umberhulks-hah-who needs disintigrate
    my paladin can kick them to kingdom come in 2 hits, at most (meaning around 3 swings of Carsomyr)

2. Steppenwolf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The golems in Nalia's keep, mostly because Nalia's Keep is the first quest most players undertake, and do so at a lower lever, say 8 or 9.

Frankly, I think the question "who's the toughest foe?" is relative, depending primarily on your level and inventory. ie. Firkraag after chapter 6 does not pose the same challenge at Chapter 2.

3. ayecapitan Guest

Tis so funny to see people talking about who is the most powerful enemy...
    "...aaah, shadow dragon was ez, killed him with me carsomyr/silver sword (deathblow o' course)/power word kill/summoned 10 fiends on it..."
    but consider this - shadow dragon stands in yer way o' completion one o' the first quests ye can get - and killing her at that moment is not easy at all, al least twas hard for me with me party level at average 10
    when ye need to cast breach from scroll and yer best fighters thaco is >6
    Only in this case Thaxll'ssillyia (spelled right?) would be a real challenge AND a very interesting battle.
    After ye complete underdark, none of the foes are REALLY hard, except for demilich and the reason for the last one is that most of us never even take a look at counter-defence magic and most people only say "...aaah, lich is hard, nothing can hit him!.."
    Well, if ye've completed the underdark, ye can have at least 3 +4 weapons which DO hit the lich, and his protections may be blown away by wise use of magic, not just pounding his spell reflection with MM's
    Am i right?

4. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, naturally it depends on the level of the party.

To make it more accurate, let us set some benchmarks:
    1) You have a party with at least one potent fighter (THACO below 0 at good levels), one good Cleric (with lvl 7 spells), and one mage (having the limited wish and the warding whip spells).
    2) you are at the end of chapter 3 NOT after Underdark, your level is around 14 (or more if smaller party), and you have done all the sie quests meaning you have all the good stuff you get in Chap 2 & 3.
    3) you remember that through Limited wish you have access to one Time Stop and one Shapechange (eg IronGolem = 100% magic resistance).
    4) you are fully rested and have all needed spells
    5) no cheats or exploits (well, the really lame ones like ClKill and Traps)
    5) you fight 2 dragons, one Twisted Rune, Mindflayers Dungeon, Beholders in the Cult, two Liches, one Kangaxx. Which is the hardest one?

Considering that MindFlayers are easily taken out by a Fiend or using that Potions of Magic Shielding sold by Roger the Fence,
    Dragons are beaten with Lightning Bolts and Magic Missiles (with some help from Breach, Clerics Magic Resistance Spell and maybe Fighters), Kangaxx the Demi-Lich I killed with the fist blow of the Mace of Disruption +2 (or alternatively Time Stopped my Kensai/Mage equipped with Staff of Magi), Twisted Rune I did from the first time both run-throughs with Iron Golem form (other party members hidden in the corner and not taking part in the battle whatsoever), Beholders are easy to kill using Potions of Invisibility (not even considering the SHield of Balduran: even at the bridge where I had 3 Gauths and one Beholder, I quaffed Invis for everyone, let Keldorn make the first blow, he lost 75% of hitpoints, quaffed another Invis, then it was a Chaos spell and it was over very fast), Liches are killed by Sunray.

Well, all battles are easy (j/k :D)

5. ayecapitan Guest

me thought's that draons are much easily killed with brute force, plus a little counterdefensive magic, though it differs with the dragon ye fight (for some parties firkraag would be easier than thaxll'ssillyia
    for the party has a mage to protect from fire, but doesnt have a priest to protect from negative plane); neither firkraag or thaxll'ssillyia cast their protections more than once, so you only need one breach barrage (2 spells worked for me, one usually leaves shadow-dragon's stoneskin untouched) to lower them to normal warrior state. cast haste and protection from fear (first- to recover from wing buffets, second - not to lose yer party to horror), blur mages and go all offensive, quaffing potions once or twice
    This only concerns parties befor chapter 4, 'cos after none of the dragons should be any threat

Beholder dungeon is very easy, just because you almost automatically get the cloak of mirrors in the underwater city, it reflects their 'death rays' and petrifications back to source

[This message has been edited by ayecapitan (edited April 16, 2001).]

6. caleb Banned

I laugh when I see all these post of "it was a 15 minute battle that I won from a lucky critical and that was after 4 re-loads" storys about the dragons because my monk, minsc, and keldorn just surrounded em and pounded away while spellcasters take away magic defences and 2 minutes later theres a dead dragon.

7. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] If ye'r searchin fer though foes, ye'll surely find them in Suldaneassar, the elven city. The big adamatinum golems are a real pain in yer ass, fer they do a 4d10+? damage/round, so if ye don't attack it with your whole group, ye'll be torn apart in no time.
    Me thinks Dragons ain't so though, as they should be. A mage and a few fighters can finish one in no time with no casualty.
    Some of ye tell, that Kangax is unbeatable.
    True, that tis' fella takes damage done by +5 weapos or better, cast nasty imprisonment two times per round, but he is just a magic user, and he's undead too. So what?
    Use scroll of magic protection or protection from undead and hack him into pieces.
    The only big threat is Jon Irenicus by the tree of life. Nasty, nasty, nasty!!!

8. caleb Banned

Yea tree of life irenicus is a bad mofo everyone was unconcious or dead except for my monk.After introducing Mr.Irenicus to stunning fist he was downgraded from bad mofo to "I didnt know the human body could make that shape"

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Whaaat? You guys diss Kangaxx and Firkraag and you had a hard time with Irenicus at the tree of life? just a coupla khelben warding whips and a slayer change from behind. DECEPTION! Irenicus never knew what hit him. ;)

10. caleb Banned

I think most of us are talking about fighting these guys WITHOUT using slayer change.

11. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

We are talking about never needing to Slayer Change.

I only did it once with my evil party to lower my rep a bit :D

12. stormguard Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

beholders until you get the cloak of mirrowing

cloud kill works wonders on umberhulks

[This message has been edited by stormguard (edited April 17, 2001).]

13. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] Yea, me used slayer change a few times. With my caracter changed and improved hasted (10 attacks/round HA...HAA) I've killed Drizzt, Wulfgar, Bruenor, Regis and Catti Brie in 30 seconds... Them didn't even hit me! COOOOL...!!!!

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Kangaxx is a real pain in the butt without the mace of disruption. Minsc killed him with one hit with that nice mace. It took me 20 tries and some board browsing before i figured that out.
    Have you tried to take out the flayer hive without the help of the Gith? That is hard really hard. I would say impossible you dont even have time to slayer change.

15. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31

Golems, difficult...uh uh. Dead easy to kill.
    Wand of cloudkill wipes em out in seconds.

16. ayecapitan Guest

especially considering that they be immune to magic

17. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

speaking of the mace of disruption, where is the illithium to upgrade it with????

18. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

SPOILER...

Illithium ore (the real thing) is on Mr. "Your kneecaps are at me mercy!" Neb. Inquire at the Copper Coronet for the whereabouts of Neb during the Sir Sarles quest.

19. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31

but not immune to magic wands unfortunately....only magic spells.

20. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] What is with the mace of distruption after upgrading it? Any new abilities?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.