1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hardcore Playing

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Red_Attack, Sep 25, 2003.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Update - My ranger/cleric has trounced the entire underdark with nothing close to a chance of death. He has emerged, made the Crom-Faer (sp?), put together some other nifty Item Upgrade type things, trounced Bodhi, cleared the three new areas on the maps, given the Lanthorn to Elhan and just entered the Elven City. To my chagrin, I must say that my tactics have degenerated. He runs around with all of his normal protections intact and then Greater Whirlwinds everything to death. It's sad -- oh well. I expect to trounce Irenicus this weekend and get through the first couple of stages of TOB. More to follow.

2. Leslie Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

@dmc

Are you gonna fight Improved Irenicus (Tactics Mod) ? You're in for one hell of a ride. ;)

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Aldeth,

It's not that hard with a party if the protagonist is sorcerer, and most of the npc's are as well (can summon). In my last game I actually managed to finish both SoA and ToB at the hardest difficulty like that.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Leslie - I don't know. I have added and subtracted so many things with mods that I no longer remember exactly what I have on. I tend to doubt that I have Improved Irenicus, though, as I seem to recall taking that and Ascension off at the same time because my game kept crashing, sometimes with Irenicus and always with Yaga Shura's army (I don't think my computer can handle the hundreds of enemies that spawn in that one). I will probably find out in an hour or so, as I am about to finish SOA when I sign off the boards.

Edit - Finished Jonnie with no problems (not improved though) - took out all of the Saradush quests and am now about to wade through giants to get the hearts. Tired, must sleep.

Edit from 10/24 (10/25 in "Board" timing) - Well, with a great anticlimactic boom, I just became a god. The only vague difficulty was, oddly enough, the second Melissan battle. I needed to make liberal use of the rod of resurrection as a "heal" tool and used up 10 greater whirlwinds on that one, aside from several cannon fodder summons. Fortunately, my Deva, elementals, etc., took out the Fallen Solar group with minimal involvement from me and the final Melissan battle was a piece of cake. (Sorry, Leslie, no Ascension, so the various big shots weren't that tough -- I have no idea how I would have finished Ascension solo though, so it's probably a good thing.)

[ October 25, 2003, 07:32: Message edited by: dmc ]

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Awesome thread. I've made it through BG1 with a Gnome Cleric/Illusionist and will install BG2 today and give it a go (I've had it installed before).

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Oh this topic is ooold! :p

Anyway, as for hardcore soloing:

NO WAY!

At least for me. My game is uber-hard already thanks to dozens of mods I have, it would be nigh impossible to solo without reloads.

But that is not the point for me. If you really want you can do it. After hundreds of unsuccesful tries you just MAY do it. But, will you really have fun? I play this game for having fun, not trying to prove my skill at gaming, or trying to set a record or what. (well, I may be the one with most mods, but still... :p ) . I do not want to have games filled with stress, pressure, and then curses and frustrations as I fail.

My game is difficult, but I can always try again if I fail, and to tell you the truth I enjoy trying new tactics&tricks in hardest battles the best. Thus, that kind of playing is not for me. Call me a coward, I never played a hard core character in Diablo 2, neither. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.