1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hank Williams Jr. Controversy

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Blackthorne TA, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I know he's been talking about running for Senate in Tennessee for a few years now, but I think he may actually do it now. Is that what you're referring to, T2?

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    For LKD and Snook,

Is this an instance of Hank being the "professional offendee at work again", and did he wait a few days before posting the "I quit" on his website until AFTER he weighed in with Sarah Palin and Sharron Angle?

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's just it DR, he's all talk. He wouldn't like to actually answer to anyone other than himself.... IMO, he's a real hoot with his comments and he would certainly liven up any political race, but he's just not going to have enough fun at it to keep him interested (think of him as a big kid with ADHD and substance abuse problems).

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Noted. :)

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Wouldn't we have said the same thing about Jesse Ventura?

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Hmm some latent hostilily there!

I had better re-state my position from the beginning so as to be as clear as possible:

1: Williams did nothing illegal or immoral by making his analogy.

2: That said, it was a politically dim thing to do -- referencing Hitler in any circumstances is a dicey thing to do, as he is probably the most evil human in existance (according to popular culture, not necessarily in terms of actual stats, please don't bombard me with a bunch of links and essays, I'm talking perception here not facts)

3: ESPN overreacted by cutting the song. It was petty and overdone and a real <w>itch move. They did not violate his first amendment rights by so doing, though, as they are not a government appendage. Whether they are a publicly owned company or a private one, whatever, they are not agents of the government, which was the main point of my earlier post.

4: Williams' statements are a little on the whiny side, but whatever. I would argue that he has every right to be offended for being treated so harshly over one minor incident. He's speaking his mind, but AFAIK he's not claiming racism or other such crap, and he's not trying to sue ESPN for having an opinion contrary to his. He's not invoking human rights commissions and trying to have valid, peaceful opposing viewpoints declared criminal. However, if he were to sue for breach of contract, I believe he might* have a case. Not a slam dunk case, but a case nonetheless.

I don't think anything I've said here is really outlandish.

*I have no idea the details of his arrangement with ESPN, so please note the use of the modal verb "might" in this sentence and spare me the hystrionics.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.