1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hacking Disgaea PC to eliminate grinding

Discussion in 'Playground' started by SlickRCBD, Sep 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was given Disgaea PC for my birthday back in February.
    However, the game lives up to it's reputation for grinding, and the save files are encrypted so I can't hex edit some XP to eliminate the grinding.
    I found a "trainer" to give "HL" the in-game currency, but not XP.
    All the so-called editors and trainers I can find with Google set off warnings from either Windows Defender or Malwarebytes.
    Does anybody know of a character editor that can be used to edit XP so I can skip some grinding and get on with the story in Disgaea that won't install malware or adware for Disgaea 1 on Windows?
    I used to handle boring grinding better, back when I played Final Fantasy Legend I or II on the Game Boy, and to a lessor extent Final Fantasy Adventure, and I was killing time when my mother would drag me on her marathon shopping trips or even just to the grocery store. Just as often I'd read a book. I never liked the grind at home however. The closest I used to do was with Bard's Tale where I'd do my homework while waiting for my mages to regain spell points. Even then once I obtained a hex editor (which was something like 2 years after getting Bard's Tale. The WWW hadn't been invented yet and I wouldn't get a modem until 7 years after getting Bard's Tale) I'd just cheat them back to max spell points and pretended I waited the hour while occasionally fighting random battles.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Trainers and editors will routinely trip various virus scanners due to their nature, but it'll almost always be false positives.

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm aware of that, but Windows Defender returns cryptic warnings about "FusionCore" or "OfferCore" and I can't just google to find out what it means.
    It makes me want to know, does the program install adware/malware automatically that can't be easily removed, or does it simply have tricky checkboxes that try to trick you into installing it?

Which ones are safe and which actually are trojans? I can't tell the difference with the cryptic warnings and I can't find a database that explains what it means.
    I tried asking on answers.microsoft.com and only got told what the basic definition of what a PUP is, completely ignoring that I was well aware of what PUP means, but was asking for a searchable database to decipher Windows Defender's cryptic warnings about PUPs into "This program installs malware without asking you." or "This program has checkboxes checked by default that will install adware and install a browser search engine unless you uncheck it." "This program has a logger that monitors what you do and reports back and it automatically runs when the computer starts up regardless of if you're using the trainer or not" vs "This program is a trainer that modifies memory in another program, potentially suspicious behavior."

So since I couldn't get info, I thought I'd ask if anybody knows what tools are safe and where to get them.
    Why the authors feel the need to encrypt the save games for Disgaea, a single player game in the first place I don't understand. According to GameFAQs the PlayStation version can be easily edited, so this had to have been deliberate.
    If it wasn't I probably could have used a simple hex editor to just give some XP to my good-for-nothing cleric so my brawler can self-heal and use shield and not have to grind so much in order to beat level 5-2.
    Also the Item World takes too long to go 10 floors, they really should have included a quicksave. I either need to waste a Gency's Exit every time or leave the computer on overnight.
    My playing time is grossly exaggerated on Steam due to putting the computer to sleep when I go to bed at night on say floor B7 of the Item World, then resuming playing after work. Somehow that counts as playing for 18-20 hours straight by the way Steam tracks things.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.