1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Guild Wars

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Faraaz, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'm not sure if this has been covered before...but anyway, Guild Wars - who here plays it? Which campaign do you have and play in? How do you like it? Comments, opinions etc etc..all welcome!

Cheers all.

2. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I "tested" it pre-release and then paid to play it before the game was officially launched. I don't play it any more as I play very few video games any more, but it was pretty fun. Was mostly about PvP rather then RPing. Last I was aware, there was a level 15 level cap. More focused on character builds and how well you play your role, rather then how much time you spend on the game.

3. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Played it for awhile. Played in Prophecies, Factions and alittle Nightfall. It was fun, but my laptop couldn't handle it too well and I was restricted mostly to RP (although I played some PVP during Prophecies. The latter expansions were too much for my laptop). I would still play it, but I've been awfully busy.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Interesting...

@Ilmater's Suffering: The level cap is 20, and has been for as long as I can remember, but Proph pre-release was an aeon away...so it may well have been.

It's so much better than WoW! :D

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I've played a bit of Prophecies- got a level 20 Necromancer in the Crystal Desert at the moment. Unfortunately, it isn't installed on the computer I have at uni, so I haven't progressed much recently. The connection here can be so slow it wouldn't be worth installing anyway. Never really went for the PvP side: the only time I did, one of the opposing team did something that took our entire team out at once.

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    After a period of two years I went back three days ago. I like it.

Pro: No fees, still online whit ohters. Nice maps, do-able gameplay and a level cap to keep it in bounds. The storyline is like in any other RPG: thin. Character creation is fair. quest not worse then other games. Old PC's can run it.

Cons: it is combat. Sometimes it looks like only combat.

You make an avatar and fight whit it. you can take 8 and only 8 skills or spells whit you. You have a ragdog for armor and weapons that can be upgrade or crafted. You can do quest in maps that surround a town. in some town a special storyline mission van be started. Alone you will not survive. You need a party. henchman or other players. AI? The hencman have some. other players vary in INT. Mostly players are better. Grpoups of players unite into guilds and get a nice cape.

Not only questing is available, put player versus player is. I cannot comment about that.

It is a nice and cheap way to play online and still get a good game. Not as great as WoW, I am told, butt it still scored 92 when it came out.

7. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I did the free trial and uninstalled after a couple hours.

I know this is purely personal taste, but I hated the Asian look to everything. The first thing I said to myself when I fired it up was "man, does this look Korean." That's coming from a guy who spent a year in Korea and, low and behold, the game is made by a Korean company, as I understand it (same company that does that Superhero MMO).

The haircuts, outfits, faces, etc. all have that Final Fantasy anime look which I find really unappealing. I much prefer the more realistic, grittier and less stylized look of games like D&D Online and Everquest.

But it really boils down to the fact that I just can't get into MMOs.

8. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Its a shame, cause PVP is really the more enjoyable part of the game. But I find that now, the PVP is mostly filled with elitists and if you don't have a guild, you can forget PVP (save for random arenas, but those are no fun when you keep getting stuck with a team that doesn't work together). I would say its PVP content would beat WOW, but its RP side loses out... ALOT.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.