1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Guess their ages...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by komei, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    But Bhaal walked the earth impregnating females DURING the Time of Troubles, so....

And by the way, here's something that bugs me: How can a Bhaalspawn be half-elven?

Ara
    (Hmmm.... bunnies...)

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yes but at the begining of the first BG game it says that he foresaw his own death and walked the earth in mortal form earlier than he needed to.
    And he could have simply taken the form of an elf and had sex with a human.

3. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@Arabwel: I think I read somewhere that the child's gender and race depend on their's mother's, not father

4. Saemon Havarian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

@Pal:

A half-elf or half-orc has an orcish / elfish parent and a human one. If the mother was half-elf Bhaal should be a half-elf to, otherwise you're a quarter-elf........

Mazzy and Keldorn are to 'serious' to be young. They're quite old, Keldorn at least 60, Mazzy about 10 years younger.

5. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

To Pal :
    <Quote>
    @Arabwel: I think I read somewhere that the child's gender and race depend on their's mother's, not father
    </Quote>

You mean, that when someone is a white human male, his mother was white human male too ??? :D :D :D

[ September 27, 2002, 14:31: Message edited by: Hassassin ]

6. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Saemon - no way is Mazzy 50! 25-30 I reckon!

Keldorn I agree probably is about 60 - he is definitely over 40 because one of the things he says is something along the lines of 'I'm an old hand; few Knights of my order live beyond 40...'

7. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Half-elves are OK, what I don't understand is how could a Bhaalspawn be Elven, Dwarven, Halfling or Gnomish? I mean, Bhaal (assumdly) took the form of a human during the Time of Troubles, so you would be a Half-Elf, Half-Dwarf, Half-Halfling or Half-Gnome.

And I'd say Mazzy is about 26, maybe 28...

8. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Bhaal, being a god, probably took whatever form he wanted depending on his mood!

9. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

In the bio in BG1, it always says that the character's mother was the same race as the character is. Therefore Bhaal's form could have had no bearing on the child's race.

I'd say Mazzy is older than 30. She is a halfling after all. If we go by each race's timespan that is.

All the dwarf characters in the game would have to be well over 40. After all, they only reach maturity at 40.

10. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    But isn't it in the Time of Troubles where he went around and...made babies? So that means he would had lost all his powers...

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Being a God - would Bhaal have been a race? Before Godhood he was Human but as an Immortal he'd have been what ever he wanted, So I reckon that he imitated the thing he was gonna...

Y'know

I reckon Sarevok is about 28 - just aged badly

12. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

It says in the Bio in BG2 that Bhaal walked the land before he was made to, so he would have had all his godly power, and the bhaalspawns can be just about any age and race.

13. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I definatly think that Aerie and Imoen are a bit older then that, maybe around 20 ish?

Frosty

14. Nivek The Mad Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] So, after "sealing the deal" with Aerie, and the local constabulary shows up to take me to jail, I'm yelling - "No, hey - wait! She said she was older than 180!"

15. RX2000 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Here's my thinking on different NPC's ages. All numbers are human years.

PC - 20ish
    Imoen - 18-20
    Mazzy - 22
    Keldorn - 55
    Anomen - 25
    Edwin - 30
    Minsc - 25
    Jehira - 40
    Valygar - 25
    Yoshimo - 30
    Korgan - 35
    Viconia - 30
    Irenicus - 50
    Nalia - 20
    Aerie - 18

16. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, I remember there was a discussion on this topic in the FanFiction site The Attic. I remember Dave Gaider posting there as well, I do not recall if it was he who posted the exact ages... AFAIK, Jaheira is between 50 and 60, so in human terms she is below 30. /remember the in-gmae dialogue when Aerie tells Jaheira that she is actually older... 170 might be a fair judgement/

17. Jechor Gems: 4/31

Well, I think people have got the ages mostly right, but when it comes to halflings, elves and dwarves, well I think they might be a little off. Mainly, due to 1) JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit and 2) Knowing the average and earliest ages different races would start adventuring in in 2nd and 3rd ed AD&D.

As for 1) Well, Tolkien specifically talks in The Hobbit and LotR, about Hobbits/Halfings if they go out adventuring, it just doesn't happen any time early in their life. consider how old Bilbo was in The Hobbit, and also Frodo in LotR, but Tolkien admits Frodo and his fellow halflings are generally too young to be adventuring. So I'd go on Bilbo's adventuring age specifically maybe a little older for Mazzy, since she's been around a while, and she knows the barkeep in the Bridge district, and also Ribald knows her, so she's well versed in adventuring

2) Well, I don't have a 3rd ed AD&D phb on me at the moment, so I can't quote the starting ages that TSR now Wizards came up with, but given TSR now Wizards, Black Isle and Interplay actually did BG series, they'd be using those starting adventuring ages as well as average adventuring ages.

The Dwarves and Elves in BG series, would have to be into their first century well and truly.

Also, there's ben some debate how Aerie could say she's older than Jaheira, but doesn't look like it, etc etc etc. Well, it's pretty easy and straight forward for Aerie to be older, foe 1) she's a straight elf, not a half elf, and elves always live longer than half-elves, or normally do. 2) As for experiences, given she was under Quayle's arm for years, and given the Circus gave her a sheltered life, you can certainly be extremely naive to everything in life, if you've lived a sheltered life for years.

Just my thoughts on ages, and the guidelines I'd use to work out what their ages are.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    When I saw this thread I simply couldn't resist :D

PC: 20 human years. It's impossible for him to be 20 if he's of any other race than human or half-orc. Halfling would still be a schoolboy and half-elf wouldn't even have his stats developed. No way less than 110 if of elven race (40 for gnomes etc etc). Thus, if such a different from 20 age as 100 is valid:

Imoen: 16-17. Her biography and several dialogues give to understand that she's slightly younger. Given her INT level, she might even be 16 and speak like a bit older person.

Jaheira: She's quite complicated. Half-elves are considered adult from the age of 20 while for humans it's 15. However, humans live +/- six times their age of majority and half-elves live nine times. Seems they just have longer lives - also because Jaheira has obviously seen a few, but is still referred to as girl or young lady (and her looks are rather fresh than preserved ;) ). Also remember her XP level from BG1 and 'tis an adventuring land! So, I give her 45 actual years, roughly 28 human age (flame me at will :D ).

Minsc: He seems close to thirty (esp. the voice), but judging from biography bits he is younger - maybe around 25.

Anomen: He's too old to be a squire (normal squire age is 14-21), but still not yet knighted. He has also been in command several times, so can't really be in early twenties. 24-26, I believe. Even 28 perhaps.

Keldorn: 45, not more than 50. Stat-wise still before second aging effect. Forgotten Realms is also sort of mediaeval, so people grow up and age faster.

Nalia: 17-18. Much like Imoen, but probably older. Again, she's a noble and has some enormous IQ (17 INT), so she might even only appear 17-18 and be younger in fact as it's the case with young people with huge IQs.

Aerie: 120 at best. 110 is elven majority age corresponding to human 15 and she's obviously underaged to such an extent that to romance her makes me feel a sick bastard ;)

Edwin: 35. As a wizard he's practically sure to be a rejuvenation potion addict, so his chronological age might be higher than the age of his body and mind - up to 50, I think.

Korgan: I don't remember dwarven age tables. Around 40 human age.

Viconia: Pam.. er.. I mean Vic is probably getting close to elven 200. Her maturity is due to 18 wisdom aka "I've seen this all, don't remember where"

Mazzy: 30-35 actual years

Jan Janssen: +/- 180 actual years. I suppose he's just passed the halfway.

Yoshimo: 30-35 actual, human years.

Sarevok: 20-22. He might be slightly older than charname. Fast aging as a result of his varied morbid activity.

Haer'Dalis: 35 human age, faster physical aging.

Cernd: This guy is fortyish.

Valygar: 23-24.

Bodhi and Irenicus: above 300 actual age. Bodhi is undead so death age doesn't really matter and Irenicus is a wizard, ergo extended lifespan plus limited aging.

19. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Imoen - 14
    Her character is that of a happy low to mid teen girl.

Minsc - 20
    He was on his first quest in BG with his "witch".

Jaheira - 30
    Sure, she is an old friend but when her age is transformed into human years 30 is good.

Yoshimo - 25
    Is still concerned with making a reputation and has had time to actually build one.

Aerie - 16
    Kidnapped from home, then rescued from the circus. Innocent.

Nalia - 18
    It was either adventure or go to fantasy college.

Korgan - 55
    Even more of a veteran than Keldorn.

Anomen - 23
    Had time to do some military campaigning. Still a complex about his father and uncertain about himself,

Viconia - 28
    Generally confident and has had alot of experience.

Jan - 48
    A bum, well not really, but he sure has a fair amount of years behind him.

Edwin - 26
    Still relatively young and rash, but mages do not graduate young and he a slight touch of disillusionment that can come a few years past the 20.

Keldorn - 45
    He looks to be in really good shape, but he is a veteran and does think about retiring.

Haer'Dalis - 25
    I've got nothing to say about Dally.

Valygar - 32
    Knows the world, has issues with it, but unlike a younger and more rash person would rather run that fight a hopeless battle.

Mazzy - 30
    Mazzy has been around long enough to make her believe everyone is taking her position as leader for granted.

Cernd - 37
    Who knows how many long and serious relationships this guy has had? Probably has a few kids he doesn't know about.

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, I'm going only by human ages, so here we go:
    PC - 25
    Aerie - 19
    Anomen - 27
    Cernd - 35
    Edwin - 30
    Haer'Dalis - 22
    Imoen - between 20 & 25
    Mazzy - 26
    Irenicus - 45
    Jan - 40
    Jehira - 35
    Keldorn - 60
    Korgan - 35
    Minsc - 28
    Nalia - 21
    Valygar - 26
    Viconia - 30
    Yoshimo - 23

Too bad there isn't a program that could calculate (X) years into human years. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.