1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gruesome soccer killings

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Beren, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not sure whether to put this here or in an Alley, so I won't be bothered if another mod moves this.

Just read this today:

http://blog.foxsoccer.com/post/54702157659/brazilian-referee-butchered-by-fans-after-killing

I'm a raving Oilers fan who's filled with loathing for the Calgary Flames, and lived for the day that the 80s Oilers would beat the hated NY Islanders. But not in a million years would I ever think of doing anything even remotely resembling this.

What is it about soccer that occasionally works the worst of its fans into a homicidal frenzy?

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    This kind of thing happens way too much in Brazil. And to think this country is going to host the next world cup, scary..

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    And the next Olympics...

I always thought soccer fans were a bit more prone to violence overall, but nothing compares to this. I mean, holy hell! Quartered, decapitated, and head stuck on a pike in the middle of the field. WTF?

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

"I am Jaguar Paw! This is my forest! My sons and their sons will hunt here after I am gone!"

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    One step back ... did no one notice the referee killed a person in front of the crowd? I'll admit the stoning ... and the quartering ... and the head on the spike ... may have been a bit over the top. But a killer being killed by a mob who just witnessed the assault is not really unexpected -- this isn't the streets of England we're talking about here....

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The player came back onto the field and assulted the ref. That's a no no. I am ok with the ref defending himself. But what was he doing with a knife in the first place? No knife, no dead socccer player, no dismemberment. Easy.

Lets look on the brightside of things. At least they didn't eat him after chopping him to bits. There is still hope. :D

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey. Hey! HEY! Knives don't kill people. People kill people.

Master of Nuhn likes this.
  8. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    How exactly do you throw in with that type of activity - one moment watching a soccer game, the next participating in an extensive murder-dismemberment?

9. Blades of Vanatar

By eating them?

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, that actually depends on whether the knife is single-action, or semi-/fully automatic.

LKD and Master of Nuhn like this.
  11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Deeply disturbing material, this is. I cannot imagine being that worked up over sports. Or anything, for that matter. I would cheerfully execute a convicted criminal, but I wouldn't want his body put on display or dismembered post mortem. That's just savage.

12. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    What people need to remember is that in some places football is a religion, in Brazil in particular in areas of dire poverty football is the only way people manage to raise themselves up, they can become successful and wealthy, if they are successful. To those that don't make it, these people can be revered like gods.

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I'm with Shosh here.

This is the world's most popular sport. And where ever people are excited or frustrated over something, there's an increased chance of trouble, I suppose.
    Especially in countries that are relatively poor and with higher crime rates all together, like Brazil.
    But to say that because of these incidents the country is an unsuitable place to hold a WC, is a bit stretched IMO. I don't think we would hear people say that The Netherlands are an unsuitable place because some teens kicked a ref in a youth football (soccer) match to death. And people would still feel okay if the WC is held in England, while the English fans.. well... had quite a reputation not always being the friendliest gentlemen.

This whole Brazil Brutality thing is something different, of course. But it's a reaction to a deadly crime that happened in a heated situation. Stabbing a player to death as a ref isn't the smartest thing you van do, though. But I'm a bit unsure why he had done that.

That said, football (soccer) related violence is probably much higher than other sports', even when taking into account that it's the world's most popular sport (making a sport crime likelier to have happened at a football game)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.