1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Greece goes insane

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by ArtEChoke, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Name one of these great poloticians of yours. And people must have actually heard of this person, good luck :p

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Rabin, Gandhi and Mandela, one is retired and the other two shot death.
    Died for their people, Mandela spend 27 years in prison and when he came out he forgave the wards for their misabuse of power.

We can all learn from these three.

[ September 08, 2002, 12:31: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

3. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Let's see...

3 good politicians...

Amongst 150 conuntries (aprox)...

Which in turn have at least 3000 politicians in each of them (aprox)...

In a half a century time span (aprox)...

That makes 3 good politicians in a pool of 450,000 (aprox); which turns out to be 1 in 150,000 politicians are good in a 50 year span...

That means there are NO good politicians; and that in every place there are exceptions.

[ September 10, 2002, 00:35: Message edited by: Shadowhunter ]

4. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Apocalipsis? Is that some kind of catchy new dance?

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    There are hardly any good politcians, but there still are any.

6. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] ArtE, its a special dance where you use non-words, such as "costed."

7. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] ArtE:

It´s Latin for the special occasion when four little riders come visit our dimension to wreak havock under Satan´s orders and under God's permission with the purpose to wake the dead and make every sinner pay for his/her crimes...

However; politicians certainly wake the dead, in their electoral form, to vote and elect them. And try to make sure to convince every oppositor to join the silent ranks of the dead to cast a vote for them while their silence is interpreted as an acceptance form of a succesful invitation to the graveyard.

[EDIT] And yes Tal I hear you... no more rudeness or profanities from now on; just pure and simple irony and sarcasm without personal injuries or reference only when needed. [EDIT]

[ September 10, 2002, 00:40: Message edited by: Shadowhunter ]

8. Thanos Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Shadowhunter: Actually, its Greek, not latin :)
    'Apocalypse' is the english-ified word that is most commonly used. 'Apokalypsis' is the original Greek word. No latin involved anywhere...

-thanos

9. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Shadowhunter, what you failed to understand was that while ArtE and I were being 'WITTY' and 'SARCASTIC,' you were being 'IGNORANT.' You misspelled a word, ArtE pointed it out and made a small joke, I followed up on that joke [btw, the word is 'cost']. Then, you decided to "act sarcastic," and in the process showed that you still don't understand what happened.

[Disclaimer: Ignorant does *not* mean stupid. This is not a personal attack. I love flowers.]

[ September 10, 2002, 06:06: Message edited by: SlimShogun ]

10. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] @Slim:

No problem!

Always willing to learn!

English is a language I'm not very used to speak daily!

And BTW I know it origins from Greek, but I study Latin, forgot the origins and spelled it from Latin.

Damn! Now I have another dead language to study!

[EDIT]

Latium homini mortis... as my teacher would say.

Or was it Latium homo mort est? :confused:

Can't remember! :confused:

[EDIT]

[ September 10, 2002, 16:10: Message edited by: Shadowhunter ]

11. the god Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] thinkk it's hilarious. more greeks are going to have to go on holiday to get their VG/CG fix. :grin:

12. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I still can't believe a goverment can be this bad :lol:

13. Thanos Gems: 5/31

Update on the situation:
    I just read today (on a Greek site, no translations yet), that a court found sections of the law in violation of the constitution, and set two defendents (they were internet cafe owners and were accused of having *gasp* games in their shops) free. This is very good news and shows that there are at least some people with their brains intact left back home.
    Seriously, courts and judges are probably the only ones left that have power and are not corrupted yet...(and the government doesn't like that but they can't do much about it since there is a clear separation of authorities in the constitution)

And BTW, Shadowhunter, since when is Greek a dead language? Modern greek is the natural evolution of ancient, but any (ok almost any) Greek can read and understand a great deal of ancient greek, because many many things are exactly the same. Words like 'apokalypsis' are a striking example; we use that word in everyday life (in its mundane meaning, not its theological one)

-thanos

[ September 10, 2002, 20:40: Message edited by: Thanos ]

14. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] Well, Ancient Greek perished officialy in 146 B.C. when Rome crushed Greece's last resisitance.

Latin perished officialy when Rome was destroyed in 453 A.C. as the last Emperor died in Rome.

As you say they evolved, greek in modern day greek and influencing Eastern Europe languages and Latin in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian and the rest of the Romantic languages (Romantic because they came from Rome, not because they were sensualy spoken!).

But today I'm affraid they remain dead. And there is no hope to revive them... sadly. Even though we use them, they are no more amongst us.

15. Thanos Gems: 5/31

Not entirely true. The New testament (of all things) is written in 'ancient' greek. It's not the attic dialect used in Perikles's time, but it's still Greek and it's the language that is used by our church even today. Granted, it's a simplified version, but it's still an evolution of the language.
    (for that matter, Homer's language was slightly different that Socrates')

The entire Eastern Empire, in roman times, spoke greek (since most of it consisted of former hellenistic kingdoms). And the eastern empire lasted up until 1453. They are more commonly known as the Byzantines, but their emperor was called 'Aytokratwr twn Rwmaiwn' i.e. emperor of the Romans.

-thanos

16. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] @ Thanos:

Get over it man... you are in the first place:

:yot:

Second:

I'm sorry also, but ancient languages are DEAD, Egyptian is dead, Summerian is dead, Latin is dead, every language spoken before Christ was born IS DEAD.

Get over it and enjoy life

;)

17. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

@ Shadowhunter, what about Arabic :p

[ September 15, 2002, 20:53: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

18. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ban games? By accident? Trying to ban slotmachines? Yes, that sounds like our ridiculous and idiotic government. These people don't know what they're saying.

Hello fellow Greeks.

To be honest I haven't heard a word of this; but if it's all over the papers it's gotta be true. Somehow, though, I suspect that they will repeal it or ignore it...most laws go ignored here. Like the underage drinking/smoking law.

Stores are still selling games, as of yesterday, although of course this ridiculous law doesn't prohibit BUYING them...just playing them.

(And by the way, to those wondering about my dissappearance: Skipped a grade of school. Busy, busy! Partying when not working. There was a beerfest this weekend. And my parents still almost never let me online :mad: .)

19. Thanos Gems: 5/31

Bumping up this old topic due to some new developments:

BBC 24/9/2002

It's not over yet, but at least it's a step in the right direction

-thanos

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.