1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Greece goes insane

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by ArtEChoke, Sep 4, 2002.

1. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I have the nerve to call you a child because you are, as you you have proved by continuing talking about about thinks that you have no idea.Yes, greek goverment sucks. but, please tell me a goverment that does not. It's completely deferrent thing to swear a goverment and to swear a whole country but obviously you can't understand this.As for the family issue you can ask an Irish about the behaviour of British goverment. Military bases in Greece maybe don't have the secrets of NASA bases but you forget that our relationship with Turkey is not good (we have been one step before the war in 1997) and therefore every information about a military base is valuable for both HQ. So, before you say something, you'd better study the conditions that are related to a subject.English is not my first language but, even if it has been, I am not writing an essay or an official report.

2. Thanos Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Earl Grey: NO, its not a joke. I read a copy of the law in the official paper of the government (direct translation due to lack of correct term knowledge). The law passed on july 30th. Here is the link although it won't do you much good if you can't reed Greek.

http://www.netcafe.gr/files/pdf/nomos.pdf

And here is a translation of the 'important' parts:

http://www.netcafe.gr/files/law.txt

Padeen: I SERIOUSLY doubt something like that happened. 'Cyprus a Greek colony' ???? Are you kidding me? That would drive all cypriots crazy. Cyprus is an independent state, it's nobody's colony and was NEVER a Greek colony, for sure (for one thing, we never had any colonies)

Gamer: Its a ban on ALL TYPES OF ELECTRONIC GAMES. These include PC games, console games, mobile phone games (!), even bowling (yes bowling, since it, in a way, uses electricity). Internet games fall in this category as well.
    You are not allowed to play them EVEN AT HOME (public or private use is not allowed). But here is the funny part. You ARE allowed to BUY them. So you can buy them but not play them. Now who would want to spend $40 to buy a cd that he can only use as a frisby (and a bad one at that) is beyond me...

Z-Layrex: Get your facts straight and don't be affected by british propaganda. I am sorry to say that, but your compatriots were in direct violation of the law, when doing their 'plane-spotting' activity. They were taking notes on aircraft serial numbers for heaven's sake! Also, there are many, many posts and signs that explicitly say that taking pictures is FORBIDDEN in the military bases but these people decided to disobay these laws, even when a policeman explicitly told them so. So they got arrested. And in any case they were released and chose to return to Greece for their trial, at which case they were found guilty.

When you go to a foreign country you are supposed to abide by their laws-regardless of whether you find them 'stupid' or not, since you are at their soil, their laws apply. I think jaywalking laws in California are stupid, but if a cop arrests me for jaywalking I won't bring hell by saying 'look, I am from a country where jaywalking is allowed so F**K you and your stupid country, what a F****ED up place you have here!'.

Now back to the issue of that (indeed) ridiculous law. I think that people are already talking of bringing the matter to the national supreme court as well as the European Court. In both cases, there is a very high probability that the law will be declared illegal and will subsequently be revoked. At least I hope so. Or I will have to stay in LA for a veeery long time... :)

-thanos

3. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Wow, Z, way to attack the new guy. Heed some of your own advice from another thread.

Back on topic.

If it's just coin-op stuff and gambling-type machines, then hey, they gotta do whatever to stop illeagal gambling, but I find it difficult to believe that they are gonna cut out all consoles all together. If so, they'll never be able to enforce it.

I'm also pretty sure, based on what I've read, that they're not gonna take away PC's, so stop crying. They're not looking for people playing Baldur's Gate.

Edit: I see nothing anywhere indicating the prohibition of gaming in a private home, just public institutions.

[ September 05, 2002, 01:24: Message edited by: Damona Silvercloud ]

4. Thanos Gems: 5/31

Damona: Take a look

http://www.netcafe.gr/files/law.txt

Read the 2nd article. Find the word 'private'...QED:)
    So playing BG2, or minesweeper, or snake on your mobile phone, is, indeed, illegal. Whether they will start bursting into houses to check on you is a different matter, however

(remember, you can still BUY them, but cant PLAY them... :) )

-thanos

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] @BOC
    Saying, or implying, that someone doesn't have a right to express his opinion because of his age is not very open minded. Calling someone a child with the purpose of belittling them is also low! Shame!

@Z-Layrex
    Your first post was insensitive. Your second post was blatantly offensive and will hardly make anyone here like you more, so IMHO a good idea might be to apologize for those words.

By the way: My previous post was intended to be ironic. :cool:

Instead of posting yet another post I'll edit this one...
    @BOC
    Welcome to the boards! :) Better late than never and all that. :o
    Don't take my previous words too hard, it's just that calling someone a child is likely to be thought of as an insult even if the person is a child... well perhaps particularly in that case. IMO a better phrasing would have been to say that the person lacks knowledge or is ignorant of the situation, because adults can be ignorant as well as children. :D

[ September 05, 2002, 02:08: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

6. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Heh, look at how they snuck that in there.

They'll have *such* a hard time enforcing it, especially because it's still legal to buy the games.

I'm sure they'll come to their senses and lift the prohibition. They must.

(still in disbelief, even though I read it 3 times)

7. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Earl, everyone has the right to express his/her opinion regardless of age, but obviously a child has not the knowledge or the understanding of a mature man upon some subjects and therefore it's better to listen that to talk.This is the meaning of my words

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

this is no joke... it's really the sick truth.... I can't say anything else then: Sorry people from Greece. Move to a better place or choose a better government.

9. Thanos Gems: 5/31

Well, both those solutions are not viable. For one, nobody wants to move because their government passed a stupid law. And choosing a better government doesn't help much because the bill passed almost freaking unanimously (the opposition voted for it as well, duh).

The way I see it, this law will probably be declared in violation of constitutional rights by the national supreme court, or in violation of personal rights (as well as rights to freedom of speech etc) in the european court. And even if that doesn't happen, I agree with others that enforcing it will be next to impossible, as far as 'private use' goes.

Seriously, I think that adding the word 'private' is what makes the law utterly ludicrous and what will probably be its downfall as well. Apparently, they wanted to show that they 'care' for the public, and they chose to do it in the worst imaginable way possible.

There are muncipal elections coming up and there are going to be some funny stories there...people are talking about putting game box covers, floppies or even CDs in the ballots:)

-thanos

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Arrrgh, can't stop myself... must take this opportunity... must attack silly laws everywhere...

Is there anyone here who after this can honestly say that you must always follow the law?
    Well, maybe you didn't think so earlier either, but this should really shake the foundation of all paladins, eh? :borg:

11. deBhaal Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] (I cant believe Im defending Z-Layrex on this ...)

Boc, obviously an adult(if that is even what you are) hasnt the "knowledge" or the "understanding" to know, that you dont have to be 18+ to possess knowledge enough to base an opinion on.

12. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

It all fits into my theory that Europe is spinning itself towards irrelevancy.

13. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] This all fits into my theory that SP'ers are too stupid to realize what sarcasm is.

[referring to Earl's earlier post.]

[ September 09, 2002, 21:26: Message edited by: SlimShogun ]

14. Thanos Gems: 5/31

Earl: Take a look at this site:
    http://www.dumblaws.com

It has all the stupid laws you will ever need :)
    BTW, on a similar topic, China has banned Google :eek:

-thanos

15. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I MEAN WHAT THE eek IS WRONG? :flaming:

There is a right to lead a private honest life directed to private folks and there is a right for the government to mess in the affairs of others IF the government THINKS they are leading CRIMINAL activities.

The right of the government to mess with people has gone too far IMHO... So far that it has the clear concept ILLEGAL embeded on it.

I mean... Have you seen your local drug dealer arguing with your local murderer about the clash they had three days ago in a multiplayer session of BG2? Or have you heard your local Mafia boss anounce that he is hosting NWN? Maybe PC gamming is the way for one to advance in the underworld? Perhaps you get executed by losing your avatar at NWN?

Most of the criminals DON'T have the brains it requires to deal with such subtelties as THAC0, not to mention AC values and spellcasting tips. Gee, some of them can't even read!

See, ignorance ALWAYS leads to evil by sheer stupidity alone.

To bad we have bozos in every government on the suface of this planet!

[Spacing out profanity so that auto-censor doesn't replace them with asterisks will get you an instant ban the next time I see you do it. Go read the Forum Rules like you were asked when you registered.] -Tal

[ September 05, 2002, 12:04: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Completely f*cked up, that is all I can say... I mean, even SNAKE? Hell, practically anyone owning a Nokia phone will get fines....

Dumb legistlators. Moronic law.

Ara
    (Not exactly awake yet)

17. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

This law reminds me of the silliness of Prohibition. Far from fixing the problem, it will only encourage more illegal activity, particularly that of Organised Crime.

18. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    You know, Sojourner, you are exactly right. I wonder who will become the Al Capone of gameless Greece?

Ara
    (TO hate life is an art form)

[ September 05, 2002, 10:40: Message edited by: Arabwel ]

19. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I agree they are actualy encouraging illegal importing and copying games :rolleyes:
    They could make profit by selling them themselves, becouse it clear as a day that someone will ;) :)

20. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

i don't know who quoted that, but i'm pretty sure it was intended more as a humorous anecdote rather than a serious generalization. however, on the lighter side of the topic, some of us would like to think that the greek lawmakers are similar to what was quoted.

personally, i don't really understand why most of the post "sounds like" they are already condemning a law that have no real effect on them (to a certain degree). or they simply assumed that the law have already suppressed all form of electronic gaming. although BOC agreed that he didn't like the law, he have also made a major clarification about the law.

some of you might think i'm talking crap, that i don't know exactly what it is like to have that kind of law. don't get me wrong, i also think that it's crap, but after what BOC said, it is not the crappiest law after all, not as most of you would put it anyway.

and beside, we did have that law already. here in the philippines, that kind of law had already been implemented. it was short live though, about a year or so, but it achieved it's purpose... with respect to it's objective (for the given period of it's implementation). that was in the early 80's, former president f. marcos banned all video games (coin-based) from public operations (although it seems like that the implementation was felt hardest in national capital region), he also banned the airing of certain cartoon shows and japanese anime on t.v. WOW! some of you might exclaim, but it is true. it happened. i was affected by the law. so basically, i know what the greek kids felt about this law, and probably what the greek adult felt about this law too.

conclusion, the greeks will get over it. they (politicians) can't keep a good game from us, right BOC? (btw, i'm referring to the gamers. people who rely on electronics game for their business will no doubt be hit pretty hard.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.