1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Greatest ODI Ever

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Stu, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I’m probably a bit late off the mark but earlier this week in South Africa Australia posted the largest ODI run total ever, and the first to break the 400 run barrier. A total of 434 runs were scored after 50 overs and the loss of four wickets. South Africa then won the match by scoring 9 for 438 and Mick Clark recorded the worst ODI bowling figures ever (0/, the previous worst was by Muralitheran 0/99 against Australia earlier this year) after the match Mick said “well at least I’m in the record books eh”. The match has been touted the greatest ever, and has apparently been much celebrated in South Africa. Anyway I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on this statement – I mean does two massive run score in a small ground really constitute the ‘greatest ever’. I mean RSA won with an over and a bit to spare and both sides had a weakened attack (South Africa were short Ntini and Nels, while the aussies lacked McGrath). Also Lee injured his ankle in the first ball of his last over in which the winning runs were scored.

In other Aussie cricket news Brad Hodge (test average of 58.43 from 9 innings) was dropped from the South African tour and Steve Waugh (former Australian Cricket captain) has called for the sacking of Trevor Hohns (selection chairman). Also Bracken was omitted from the test side right after taking 5/67 in the aforementioned ODI and having the best economy and highest number of wickets in the game.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That was just the most phenominal match I've ever watched. Just when you thought it was going the Aussies way the South Africans would hit a couple of bondaries and get themselves back into it. What a knock by Gibbs I couldn't take my eyes of it. Some wonderful shots being played. Incredible, simply incredible.
    Both sides don't need to be at full strengtg to make a game exciting and enjoyable.

Plus, I don't think Hodge really deserves a place in that test side. Who does he come in for? Langer? Hayden? Hussey? There's nobody they can drop. And Bracken is just average, nothing more. Surely there are better seamers than that knocking around in Australian cricket?

It was Mick Lewis by the way, not Mick Clark ;) .

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

It was most certainly the greatest comeback in the history of ODI cricket, but greatest match ever ... I don't think so.
    The game actually was a cause for concern. You simply cannot have more games like this being played. The pitch might as well have been astroturf for all the variation it offered. No variations in pace & bounce, no swing & spin, there was nothing at all for the bowlers. Might as well have those bowling machines at the crease.

South Africa were missing Pollock and Nel. Australia didn't have Warne or McGrath. Are the bowling talents in the two countries so few that they couldn't get 4 men each with that level of dedication or skill.

Then again, just looking at all those 6s being hit was a treat in itself.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Buzz. Wrong. The previous worst figures were by the current CEO of NZ Cricket, Martin Colin Snedden, who conceded 105 runs in a game against England (I think) in the early 1980s.

The rudest thing about that game was that the previous record for highest successful run chase was by New Zealand, also against Australia, a couple of months ago, chasing 325 to win, so we didn't even get to hold that record for very long.....

5. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Yes Harbs, but that was when there was no over limit - the 105 runs were conceeded in 12 overs, instead of the 10 allowed in the current game.

@Barmy - how many average bowlers can take 5/67 in a game like that - he was the most ecconomic bowler and he took the most wickets. Surely an effort like that is enough to keep him in the side.
    As for better seamers we have Tait and Gillespie racking it up for South Australia, but Bracken really operates different to them.
    Good point about who Hodge would replace - they should really pump up a good Australia A side.

Aparently two Aussie punters put $20,000 each on Australia to win 1/2 way through the match with odds of $1.01.

So greatest ever? - I still can't justify it considering the ground was small enough to mis-hit it for 6. A guy at my school said his club ground was larger.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sorry to nitpick again, but it wasn't because there was no over limit, it was because World Cup one day games were played over 60 overs instead of the current 50 overs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.