1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Greatest Hockey Player of all time?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Beren, Jan 17, 2012.

?

Who is the greatest hockey player of all time?

1. Gordie Howe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bobby Orr

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Wayne Gretzky

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  4. Mario Lemieux

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree Gretzky wouldn't put up as many points in today's game. I've said so more than once, including on the Oilers message boards where my handle is SuperDave17. (Super Dave was my high school nickname, and Jari Kurri was personally my favorite player so ...)

I think today's game would bring him down from 210+ to about 150 to 160.

As for the Broad Street Bullies ending his career, no ... The Islanders and Flyers and pretty much every other team in the league had players who lived for the chance to level Gretzky. Denis Potvin in particular tried many times to get Gretzky with those open ice smashes he loved to deliver. But Gretzky almost never gave anyone the chance. He kept his head up, and had that radar for when somebody was lining him up. Even Potvin said something along the lines that trying to hit Gretzky was like trying to hug fog, just couldn't do it.

Add to that Gretzky had guys like Dave Semenko, Marty McSorley, Kevin McClelland, and Dave Lumley to keep the other teams honest. Same thing with the Habs and Larry Robinson. Everybody knew not to mess with the Big Bird after he got the better of Dave Schultz, and by extension that also meant not messing with Guy Lafleur and the smaller Habs forwards.

As for Gretzky and Lemieux, it's really an apples and oranges comparison. I've seen Lemieux do skate and deke through everybody highlight reel goals that Gretzky could only dream of pulling off. Gretzky had goal scoring tools too, a laser radar slap shot, a nose for the right position at the right time, the wrap around from his office behind the net that always left the goalie guessing. But Lemieux just had that sick package of reach, moves, skating, hard and accurate shot, size, and ability to protect the puck with his body that was unparalleled.

Gretzky was smaller and slighter, so he had to develop a somewhat different skill set, that shiftiness, that vision, that crystal ball into how the play was going to develop that always left the defenders guessing whether he was going to hit a team mate with an unreal pass that nobody else saw coming or whether he would put it in the net himself.

These are my two best memories of the glory years:

And this beauty:

The only tandems that I've seen come even close to Gretzky and Kurri's chemistry would be the Sedin twins, and maybe Oates and Hull as well. But even then ... for one thing, Gretzky and Kurri in their prime could outskate the twins any day, and that gave them a lot more options.

Not saying it's a wide margin, but I think Gretzky brings a little more in the aggregate. Of course, there's the argument that he played with a stacked team. But Kurri, Messier, Coffey, and Anderson have all said they became the players they did because of what Gretzky taught them. He made everyone around him that much better. Just look what happened when he went to LA. Bernie Nicholls didn't even play on the same line as Gretzky because he was the second line center, but he exploded for 70 goals just because Gretzky was there and rubbed off on him, like a seepage effect.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I really can't see Gretzky hitting 150-160 in todays game. Defensive techniques and strats have advanced, rules have changed, goalie equipment has changed and well, just so much is different. He'd do well, don't get me wrong, and maybe even break 100 points, but he wouldn't dominate.

The same way that I don't think Pelé would score at a goal a game today.

The reason I said Mario is because he didn't need good players around him to score points. A lot of the goals he got, he just made himself through unreal speed, deking and physical strength. The man was a beast.

But then again, I just like scorers, especially scorers of individual goals. I often find assists an overblown stat. Like, I'd rather have Malkin than Crosby in my side, or Kovalchuck rather than St Louis. Guys who can just score a goal out of nothing on their own win you games.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think the two assists thing in hockey is a dumb stat. Maybe if it's this great pass or something I can see it, but just passing it to the guy who passed it to the guy who scored the goal. I mean, come on. It's like giving a freakin participation trophy.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, some guy can get an assist for a simple 3 yard pass, but then a guy shielding the goalie, or forcing a defenseman out of the shooting lane won't get one. Lame. Some guys finish a season with 80 points, and only 15-20 of those are goals. Don't get me wrong, there's great, great playmakers out there, but the assist stat is 'bumped' up I reckon.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Depends on the assist. I agree that assist are easily given.

Some assists are better than the goal itself.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.