1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Greatest American Band

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Chandos the Red, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    We've had these threads in the the past, but it's been a while. England has lots of great bands, as everyone knows, and they are always at the top of any "All-Time Greatest" list: The Stones, The Who, The Beatles, Genesis, Pink Floyd etc. But this is for American bands only.

I was on another forum with this topic and it was amazing how many chose bands that were NOT American, and there was no clear-cut winner for the top slot. My choice, love them or hate them, for the most accomplished American band is the Grateful Dead. They accomplished almost as much as The Stones, The Beatles, Zeppelin, and so on, over three decades, with dozens of recordings, and a strong following to this day, 15 years after their demise with the passing of JG. The strong second choice, clearly, in my opinion, is REM.

Feel free to list individuals if you like: Bruce, Dylan, etc, but the focus is really on bands. Other top bands, maybe: BOC, Nirvana, the Ramones, The Cars, GnRs, Areosmith, the Byrds. I know these are all older bands, but I'm in my 40s, so what do I know?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Eagles, The Doors, ZZ Top, Cheap Trick ... those come immediately to mind as well. I would put the The Doors at the top spot.

3. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I believe that KISS is the greatest American band. I actually saw them again just recently. They're still rocking after all this time!

"You want the best, you got the best!"

The Great Snook likes this.
  4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Creden... CCR ;)

The Doors deserve mention, but I'm not a big fan of their stuff. Neil Young (and Crazy Horse!) certainly are on my list.

Lynyrd Skynyrd isn't a great band, but has a couple of my favorite songs.

Basically my list would go something similar to 1)CCR 2)The Eagles 3)Neil Young 4)The Doors 5)Journey (I love Steve Perry's voice)

Honorable mention that would be justified include Springsteen, The Cars, GnR... a little off now but I have to throw something towards the Seattle bands, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. Like the Smashing Pumpkins too.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Neil Young is Canadian. :)

Anyway, I didn't really realize until now that most of my favorite rock bands are British or Canadian. I like (but am not a die-hard a fan of) Aerosmith, Van Halen, Eagles and Journey. But I admit to being a huge fan of early Chicago.

Since CTR didn't specify the genre, I'll go with the Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" band as the greatest. :)

6. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Splunge - Jazz is fine. And regarding jazz mostly American bands should be at the top, IMO. And just like you, I was struck by how hard it was to come up with American bands who could top the best of the Brits and Canadians. I like Rush and NY and they would be near or at the top of any general list.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Absolutely. As a complete opposite to my rock preferences, I can't think of too many non-US jazz artists that would be on the top of my list. Oscar and Maynard (both Canadian, and old school) come to mind, but the rest are American - Metheny, Coltrane, Cobham, Return To Forever - I'm just listing who I like at random here, and it's far from being a complete list.

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    :thumb:

I would also include Van Halen, Aerosmith, and The Ramones.

Edit: I just realized I forgot Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Manowar, deffinatly.

Caradhras likes this.
  10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    I have to second that. Other bands play Manowar kills.

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly they are an American band that primarily has a following in Europe. I would hazard a guess that most Americans have never heard of them.

12. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

For me, it's Metallica. Even if Manowar says it's false metal :D .

13. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I don't know about the majority of the American public but I've met many people from all over the world (including Americans) who have heard of Manowar. I'm not American so I can't really say and I'll take your word for it. There is no denying that there are many European fans of Manowar and that probably proves your point.

I guess most people in America know the Village People. Does that make them one of the greatest American bands? I think we'd agree it doesn't.

Anyway Manowar gets my vote. If I were to pick a more popular/mainstream group I'd definitely pick The Doors and If I had to choose one American artist (and not a band) it would be Jimi Hendrix.

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I've never heard of Manowar, but I really don't stay current on the popular/mainstream bands.

16. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

But not Nirvana???;)

Van Halen would top my list. Followed by Aerosmith, Metallica, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, GnR and the Doors. Honorable Mentions of CCR, Rush, The Eagles, Van Morrison and Journey.

17. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Huey Lewis and the news. Those guys started out singing at subway sations I belive. Could qualify as one of the greatest american bands, I guess.

18. Splunge

Media:
    Yeah, right after The Monkees and The Partridge Family. :p

@ Blades - Rush is a Canadian band, and Van Morrison is Irish. :)

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    And not Heart? I forgot about them, but they should be on the list as well.

They probably sold more records during the 80s than anyone else.

20. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

But Splunge, Van morrison sings "Brown-eyed Girl". I thought the Irish have blood-shot eyes....:)

---------- Added 1 hours, 44 minutes and 4 seconds later... ----------

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/15/most-shocking-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-snubs/?hpt=C2

Interestingly, some of the favorites mentioned are not in the Hall, though they are eligible....

No Kiss, No Chicago, No Moody Blues.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.