1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Grammar Hall of Shame

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shralp, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ooohhhhh Sir D included my favorite word to pick on Kitiara about: cheque;) That post was a bit much don't you think. And it obviously lets your anti-American sentiment shine through, which I personally find disturbing. How would you like it if I were making fun of your "Europeanized" version of the proper "American" English language. I'm sorry, but I felt that had little to do with the point Sharlp and several others of us were trying to make here. I don't think any person in their right mind would point out differences in spelling like that while trying to chastise someone for bad grammar. I wouldn't. If Sharlp did, well, he was wrong on that count. The point of this post was to get people to recognize their laziness for what it is. I don't care about spelling typos. Who does? That isn't what this is all about. A mistake here and there isn't what this is all about. What it IS about is the toned down version of l33t grammer we sometimes see on these boards. I don't see what the argument here is over. Tal clearly made his point, and I agree with it 100%. Noone is trying to put down posters whose first language isn't English. I think the majority of the arguments here have missed the entire point Sharlp was trying to make. I'm defending him (for a change). His methods may leave something to be desired, but his point needed to be made.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

But we still can see the bad grammar for ourselves, and we don't need an entire thread and a stupid argument to know it is there.

3. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Kitiara- the general editorial rule is that so long as the author sticks to either English or American spellings he/she is fine. However in Canada that changed with the recent release of a Canadian dictionary (:rolleyes: a country with a population smaller than London, England needs its own spelling?). Now, in Canada, most organisations have a policy requiring "Canadian" spelling: that is to say, use "organize" and "deputize" instead of "organise" and "deputise" etc, and use "colour" instead of "color" etc. So, half British, half American.

The problem is that now you not only have to know both sets of spellings, you have to know which one to use in each circumstance. And by the way, Microsoft's "Canadian" spellcheck setting is almost 100% American so it won't work for this purpose.

I consistently use British spellings, and periodically my co-workers notify me (their editor!) that their American spellchecking programmes have caught me in spelling errors... then they send me back documents I've written, with what seems like all my Ss changed to Zs... Must remain calm... :flaming:

By the way, to anyone who wants to actively improve his/her English and would like assistance: I have taught English as a second language and am employed as a technical writer/editor, so I'm qualified to help. And I'm willing, especially if anyone is working on a resume or publishable work in English and would like assistance- let me know and with enough lead time I should be able to help you.

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well my vote is if they don't recognize their bad grammar, then someone should take the time to point it out to them. It will save them alot of hardships later on in life. And if they just don't care, maybe they should start. Taking an extra second to make sure your post isn't one huge run on sentence isn't a hardship. Nor is bothering to us a little bit of proper capitalization and punctuation. Any nine year old knows to do it. I don't see why someone who posts here can't be bothered.

And BTW Mollusken, what do you care anyway. Noone was refering to you. I'm amazed the people who are actually flaming Sharlp are the ones who *can* put together a coherent post:toofar:.

5. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Ok i have to add. Sure it is nice of you to point out when someones grammer needs work, but there is no need to degrade them and ridicule them by changing their avatar.

I could see if they were a repeat offender and all, but for not capitalizing their i's?

Dont you think a friendly reminder post before insulting them could be a little less demeaning?

[This message has been edited by Kitiara (edited November 23, 2001).]

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Maybe I should add another avatar for people who reply before reading the most important posts in an ongoing discussion?

"Before you start jumping around and waving pitchforks at me, let me just explain that it will be given ONLY for the most severe cases of butchering of the English language & grammar and only to people whose native tongue actually is English. (And to people living in English-speaking countries.) It wouldn't be fair otherwise."

I think this debate will end really quick if nothing constructive gets posted here any more.

7. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG]

Tal; How about "Mr/Miss Magoo" award? Cute, harmless and yet potent. :1eye:

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited November 23, 2001).]

8. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

9. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Huh?!

Ok, so what prize do I get for spotting that one? :p

10. Mirkwood Guest

11. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Azardu: bugger/ bougger

12. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hey not fair Poodle boy. British butcher our words too. Such as the Airplane Aeroplane. WE invented the airplane therefore WE get to give it the name airplane. Oh and what about lifts the proper name as invented is ELEVATOR not lift get it straight. Just a little American versus British hostility here for ya.

Be amused, be very amused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.